12 replies to this topic

#1 Blake

Blake

wait what

• Einherjar
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:29 PM

Recently, I remembered that I had a photobucket account. Logging in, I found a great quantity of SG screenshots. Now, most of you guys, at least the old ones, probably remember these pics, which have been posted several times. Seeing them again was an amazing feeling.

On to them.

How about starting with the time we completely dominated SG.

110.jpg

60.jpg

I have absolutely no idea how I played with so much lag and so much dcing. Of course, this had to happen. Also, 58MA, ew.

Leet.jpg

So, inside jokes. Hi VD.

VDrocks.jpg

To be fair, FxF is a bastard.

Hah.jpg

And about Samah... holy wenier.

Samahsucks.jpg

We once got told off by SWKID.

SWKIDSPEAKS.jpg

Remember this EHJ vs LoW regibattle? We pretty much held home pocs the entire battle. I was on DF's char and DF was on mine. Probably because I'm so much better than him so I had to use the higher PR one.

800-790.jpg

I used to talk to Panik as my contact in LoW, especially for regi battles. He did have some weird interests though...

SS5.jpg

Although, to be fair, I'd say Bergz was worse.

GoBergz.jpg

Now I don't know what's funnier, Pendarr getting called a noob, or Pendarr saying, well...

Pendarrisanoob.jpg

Remember how Scuba always got second place in the tournament? Well, KRU remembers.

ggscuba.jpg

But, of course, that doesn't beat the greatest burn in EHJ history.

GGRice.jpg

And, why not, Dudemain getting destroyed by yours truly.

SS2.jpg

Our reunion before disbanding. I specifically selected this picture because I found Bricriu's message beautiful.

EHJfirstSS.jpg

And Creslin being sweet.

finalss.jpg

And, of course, Creslin's last words before officially disbanding:

Jeslekspeech.jpg

Einherjar will always have a very special meaning to me. I joined when I was around 12-13-14 (can't really remember my exact age), during the time when Renaissance was created. I used to play in Poseidons (played in Relic with them for a while and was one of the group that pushed a move to MP, which we eventually did). When that group disbanded (not enough pop, most of the leadership left), I made a decision. I would join a top regiment, or quit. I looked at every single one and decided that the one I wanted to join most was EHJ. Sent Cres an ingame mail, and Ach a more detailed one. Acheron contacted me, and I joined. The rest, is, well, history. My history. I was with EHJ during my teenage years. A very important part of who I am, I owe it to you guys.

It's been real. Take care.

#2 Deity

Deity

Blow Fish

• Valhalla Leader
  • 2,489 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

Awesome use of 10 minutes. Thanks for the trip Blake!

#3 Tender Peaches

Tender Peaches

Space Ranger

• Einherjar
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,687 posts
  • LocationGamma Quadrant, Sector 4

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:47 PM

You know, looking back I'm positively astounded I didn't turn out to be actually gay. It's such a damn shame I was basically a child when EHJ-SG was around, I probably would've gotten a lot more out of this game had I not been full pants-off retarded all the time.

Also, this isn't exactly related, but IC.com also allowed me to reconnect with my brother Cres whom I hadn't talked to for a few years. I googled his name and IC was one of the first results. I made a post here claiming to be his little brother, but he didn't believe me because as he'd remember, I didn't cuss like a sailor.

Good times all around. Godspeed, SG.

-quebecdude/dudemain/cerealbox/misswhite

It's POC time!

#4 Jovan

Jovan

Earth

• Mortals
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:37 PM

It's such a damn shame I was basically a child when EHJ-SG was around, I probably would've gotten a lot more out of this game had I not been full pants-off retarded all the time.

The worst of all is that, in the length of time since then, I've not only lost touch with people I grew up playing games with on places like MSN Gaming Zone, MPlayer, Kali, GameSpy et cetera, but I cannot remember the various emails and IM handles I used. It's a giant unrecoverable black hole. Games I've played that I have faint memory glimpses of, but that I do not even remember the names of. Sites like Shockwave.com lost like tears in the rain.

Ours is probably the last generation of gamers to have a black hole issue like this, since nowadays it's more centralized in hubs like Steam, where your account is more or less forever because you have paid goods on it. The world at large has finally caught up with the pioneers of online entertainment, and the pleasures of gaming time sinks. And yet here we are, reminiscing of an obscure game that hasn't seen the light of day in a decade.

Looking at these screenshots I'm awed at the aesthetic of the user interface more than anything. Nowadays games have trimmed UIs as much as they can, but it's these older games that really tried to cram veneer into every pixel available.

However...

We have to keep in mind that we are, in the long run, a very early generation of gamers. Computer games at this scale have only been around for 20 years. Counter intuitively, SG is not dead. The genre of MMO-RTT-RTS has barely lifted off the ground. SG is an early pioneer who was slightly ahead of the curve. We are now in the twilight phase, recuperating. LoL and other relatively "simpler" games are going to allow the current generations of gamers a launch pad for games like SG to come. The next phase is the return.

Thanks for the memories. I still log onto SG to run around and shoot the shit, but it's been eons since I've last seen a battle full of players swarming about.

#5 Wingnut

Wingnut

Obsidian

• Einherjar
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationCape May, New Jersey

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:51 AM

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a new game following a format like SG.  There was End of Nations that got killed off during the closed alpha stage but I haven't seen anything worthwhile that is PVP like SG was.

Posted Image

#6 Freakzor

Freakzor

Slate

• Einherjar
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationIOWA

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:12 AM

Yeah I was hopeful for End of Nations.... sad it ended up being just a cock tease.

Glad my toon could make a photo bomb on one of those screen shots!

#7 XtremeEdgeGT

XtremeEdgeGT

Granite

• Einherjar
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:02 PM

Remember when SG used to have an Overlord system? Yeah, me either.

Posted Image

#8 Kalmenus

Kalmenus

Granite

• Einherjar
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:09 PM

Remember when SG used to have an Overlord system? Yeah, me either.

Hey that's right Edge for Overlord. He rules all. Free cookies and hookers for everyone should he become OL yet again.

#9 RiceJ

RiceJ

Lava

• Valhalla Leader
  • 645 posts
  • LocationParma, Ohio

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:55 PM

Thanks Blake!

#10 Vector

Vector

Basalt

• Einherjar
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:20 PM

Funny to see these old SS and crap I said in chat...

#11 Macen

Macen

Slate

• Einherjar
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:09 PM

Good Shit.

#12 stormchaser

stormchaser

Clay

• Einherjar
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:51 AM

good stuff , wonder how many ppl do visit this forum.

#13 Ruiz

Ruiz

EHJ

• Einherjar
  • PipPipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:16 AM

good stuff , wonder how many ppl do visit this forum.

I do ! 

hi everyone :)

Thks blake , bring back memories..  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users