Sign in to follow this  
Ulrezaj

Welcome back everyone

At most the only thing you're going to get with cookies is your old member ID, which isn't going to help at all.

I honestly don't have anything, RDM. I stopped playing admin long ago.

[edit] I found an old(er) hard drive in storage. I don't remember what it's from, but I can take a look on it tomorrow at work (I am surrounded by Macs and don't have a SATA to USB thingy here). Don't get your hopes up though.

I feel like there's a good chance of recovering data. Depending how much has been done with the hard drive since the format, there could be quite a bit left of over half a million posts. But that's for Ulrezaj to decide.

I suggested Rice ask Copy the other day but I don't know what happened with that. I suppose that's pretty useless as well :lol:

I didn't hear back from copy. The only contact I have for him is MSN and he hasn't been on, and I suspect he doesn't check his associated hotmail address.

We did have all that money donated a while back... Why not use that money to recover the data?

For those wondering. I have been hosting the forums for free since copy tapped out for reasons I wont get into. Last week (Thursday?) my assistant was suppose to format xweb43 to Linux instead he formatted xweb34. In doing the format he runs a DOD standard 3 pass random bit format on the existing raid 5. That raid was then deleted and a new raid container was created which is now running on xweb34. After not telling the truth about his blatant fuck up I had to shit can him. I really doubt that anything could have been recovered off these drives as I took a look at them last Friday before formatting once again so that Ulrezaj could get to work on the new site. After gathering no information off some of the tools I had I considered it completely lost and formatted again and created a new container. Once that was accomplished I helped Ulrezaj create this new site on the 3.0 code.

I am sure everyone is upset with me about it being lost. I understand that, all that I have is a partial sql db from 10 days ago that's only half there. netbackup seemed to have thrown an error about halfway through. I never thought I was in charge of the admin portion as I was never given admin rights to the EHJ side. I mean I could have easily hacked the db to get them but that would be wrong in my opinion. So long short I am happy to provide the free bandwidth/storage as well as some tech support if it is needed. However there needs to be a Admin or 2 in charge of the day to day shit.

By no means am I trying to pass the buck or say someone other then me caused the wipe. I hope everyone can understand and we can all move forward from here with a site admin who maintains this forum on a daily basis because with the traffic we do and the activity we have it sorely needs one.

-- Fix

what fixxar said.

@RDM:

When I migrated us off Rackspace it was ridiculous trying to get a db backup because phpmyadmin was timing out like mad since they're shit etc. I ended up having to use mysqldump, which did a straight export/import across database servers with no intermediary backup. Since that 'solved' the immediate issue of migration in a neat and tidy way I used the same method when we moved from Phunkmaster's servers at ThePlanet to fixxar's hosting (in NY someplace?). The last backup I have was one I made when we moved from whatever crap free host we had to the relatively nicer Mosso hosting Copyman provided in Aug 2007.

Ulrezaj is in possession of this backup and he's working at seeing what is recoverable. There's certainly potential to recover a lot of interesting/useful things, but with the amount of data that's changed due to forcing everyone to re-register and switching to the latest version of IPB it may well be Sisyphean in scope.

I don't think you're without blame here, RDM, but I've been trying to sit on thoughts like that. I'm not without blame myself, but I have an easier time rationalizing that to myself.

mysqldump is a perfectly acceptable method of backing up databases; phpMyAdmin is not by any means a backup tool. I used mysqldump daily in conjunction with what Mosso did. That hard drive I found last night was my old external drive that I stored these backups on, but it has been formatted and used for something else since then. I'm currently running it thru a few programs I've used to recover data in similar scenarios before, and so far the log looks promising. Even if I do manage to grab me an intact sql dump, it would probably be from around Jan 2009. Assuming it's intact, it would be fairly easy to restore it and upgrade it to IPB3. The skins would still be lost (which would already be, they're not compatible with IPB3), and so would attachments. Topics/posts/members/PMs etc would be recovered, though.

EHJ is going to keep running into these problems so long as a capable admin isn't shunted out by leadership and not forking out the (relatively cheap) cost to get a real host that is actually liable. IC doesn't require any significant amount of resources, especially now that the killboard is gone and the $400-500 we already have saved up could last a good 2-3 years easily, probably 4, with a decent host.

Good deal, better than having nothing.

Indeed :o I miss some of the topics.

It'll be at least another day before I know for sure, it's been running since 7AM and it's still chugging through.

mysqldump is a perfectly acceptable method of backing up databases;

the only point i was making was that the destination wasn't offsite and no intermediary backup was created as is typical of a backup/copy over / restore process.

especially now that the killboard is gone and the $400-500 we already have saved up could last a good 2-3 years easily, probably 4, with a decent host.

the killboard is not the scapegoat you are looking for. it's database intensive, but not to the extent that rackspace/mosso/random asshattery would lead you to believe. it's run across many different webhosts with no issues given proper configuration, and the EVE division hasn't had any issue with their new host -- their new host already had been running the same software with no issues for ages.

$400-500 would last us less than a year for hosting similar to what we have now. we have basically a dedicated host with plenty of cpu and bandwidth. $10.95/mo dreamhost/lunarpages/whatever isn't going to cut it given our activity levels, unless you want to go back to seeing those crappy 'database' errors like we had on our last discount host prior to moving to rackspace (and subsequently, once we were on rackspace for a while and their shared hosting got saturated).

I say contact every donator and offer to give them their money back, since none of it is going to go to its intended purpose of benefiting Copyman. if they want to leave it in some mysterious slush fund, let them make that decision.

thanks for going to the trouble of recovering data off your drive though. it should be the same schema as what ulrezaj is playing with now so hopefully he'll be able to develop a process to pull threads out of the backups and plug 'em into the new forums.

I used to work for IPS as support personnel and saw forums running on discount shared hosts that eat many more hits/posts/members than this forum. It can certainly run in a similar environment depending on the host. As long as certain PHP & MySQL config values are set properly, IPB3 will run cleanly. Hell, my $10 VPS would've run circles around it. It was just a suggestion, either way. Liability & Stability > Free host hopping IMO.

These forums hardly have anything on them. IMO it would be pointless to go through the trouble of merging a backup with this forum. If I can grab a full intact SQL dump then it's just a matter of restoring it and pointing an IPB3 upgrade script at it. If you really want to merge it, then you can actually use the converters to "convert an IPB3 into an IPB3" and just merge the old with the current.

For those wondering. I have been hosting the forums for free since copy tapped out for reasons I wont get into. Last week (Thursday?) my assistant was suppose to format xweb43 to Linux instead he formatted xweb34. In doing the format he runs a DOD standard 3 pass random bit format on the existing raid 5. That raid was then deleted and a new raid container was created which is now running on xweb34. After not telling the truth about his blatant fuck up I had to shit can him. I really doubt that anything could have been recovered off these drives as I took a look at them last Friday before formatting once again so that Ulrezaj could get to work on the new site. After gathering no information off some of the tools I had I considered it completely lost and formatted again and created a new container. Once that was accomplished I helped Ulrezaj create this new site on the 3.0 code.

I am sure everyone is upset with me about it being lost. I understand that, all that I have is a partial sql db from 10 days ago that's only half there. netbackup seemed to have thrown an error about halfway through. I never thought I was in charge of the admin portion as I was never given admin rights to the EHJ side. I mean I could have easily hacked the db to get them but that would be wrong in my opinion. So long short I am happy to provide the free bandwidth/storage as well as some tech support if it is needed. However there needs to be a Admin or 2 in charge of the day to day shit.

By no means am I trying to pass the buck or say someone other then me caused the wipe. I hope everyone can understand and we can all move forward from here with a site admin who maintains this forum on a daily basis because with the traffic we do and the activity we have it sorely needs one.

-- Fix

Nah, not really your fault. There's a reason why backups are made.

Was IC the only thing on that server, or are you having fun answering angry emails?

And gaz - the killboard works fine when it's stock. The EHJ killboard had been altered by some random guy. So either rackspace is a bunch of fuckwits (possible, but improbable), or some random guy I don't know of indeterminate skill did something retarded and then walked away, with nobody responsible for fixing it. I know which of these two possibilities I'll put my money on.

And yes, phpmyadmin will time out. That's why you use the shell to make your backups. I don't really like phpmyadmin very much anyway. I also don't have a problem with getting free hosting, as long as it's stable, because the theory is that someone should be making backups.

Oh, and did Acheron leave with a copy of the forums, or did he start from scratch?

And gaz - the killboard works fine when it's stock. The EHJ killboard had been altered by some random guy. So either rackspace is a bunch of fuckwits (possible, but improbable), or some random guy I don't know of indeterminate skill did something retarded and then walked away, with nobody responsible for fixing it. I know which of these two possibilities I'll put my money on.

And yes, phpmyadmin will time out. That's why you use the shell to make your backups. I don't really like phpmyadmin very much anyway. I also don't have a problem with getting free hosting, as long as it's stable, because the theory is that someone should be making backups.

Oh, and did Acheron leave with a copy of the forums, or did he start from scratch?

we can go round and round about the killboard, but given that I maintained the killboard for a substantial period of time, writing scripts to migrate us off griefwatch despite their unwillingness to give us our killmails as well as running the EDK killboard first on my local Dreamhost host as well as on mosso I think I'm in a pretty good position to tell you that rackspace are a bunch of fuckwits. Or, not really, they're just typical of every shared hosting environment; overselling their resources and churning through customers until they are left with lots and lots of people happy to use 1% of what they purchase.

also, there was no shell access for the rackspace hosting. gg, backseat sysadmin.

acheron started from scratch. there wasn't anything on our forums that he wanted or needed, thus the split.

also, there was no shell access for the rackspace hosting. gg, backseat sysadmin.

Shell access isn't required for mysqldump or similar so long as the MySQL server is configured to allow remote connections. Mosso was configured so, which is how my local shell scripts backed up the database to my machine.

Shell access isn't required for mysqldump or similar so long as the MySQL server is configured to allow remote connections. Mosso was configured so, which is how my local shell scripts backed up the database to my machine.

which is why i used mysqldump to migrate us off mosso ... what point are you trying to make here? OSX > win7 ? wish i had cronjobs and at least a quasi-posix shell on win7 tell you what. powershell is pretty sweet but typical MS non-portable garbage

Sign in to follow this