Sign in to follow this  
Ulrezaj

Welcome back everyone

we can go round and round about the killboard, but given that I maintained the killboard for a substantial period of time, writing scripts to migrate us off griefwatch despite their unwillingness to give us our killmails as well as running the EDK killboard first on my local Dreamhost host as well as on mosso I think I'm in a pretty good position to tell you that rackspace are a bunch of fuckwits. Or, not really, they're just typical of every shared hosting environment; overselling their resources and churning through customers until they are left with lots and lots of people happy to use 1% of what they purchase.

also, there was no shell access for the rackspace hosting. gg, backseat sysadmin.

acheron started from scratch. there wasn't anything on our forums that he wanted or needed, thus the split.

I'm not sure why you're pissed at me, since I've been completely ignored on the subject of IC for years.

I have a good idea of the usage that RackSpace was claiming, and I don't think that it's possible that the problem was on their end. Nobody with the ability to actually diagnose or solve the problem was allowed to touch the problem, so the entire discussion is hypothetical.

It's pretty easy to make minor screwups when dealing with a massive table (like the killboard), and cause an exponential increase in query times. I'd consider it almost inevitable when altering a reasonably complex webapp; normally it would be caught with testing, or in the worst case, by the site admin. But oh - we didn't have one of those.

it's annoying to talk to you about this subject because you seem to ignore the facts you're presented with. i write webapps for a living and i am telling you that when the problem completely disappears when the app is moved from a shared environment to a dedicated environment the problem is with the shared environment.

anyway, the problem is entirely tangential to the administrative issues at hand which appear largely resolved with Ulrezaj stepping in. hopefully he will be lazy enough to appreciate the current administration's style but proactive enough to prevent future outages.

Nah, not really your fault. There's a reason why backups are made.

Was IC the only thing on that server, or are you having fun answering angry emails?

And gaz - the killboard works fine when it's stock. The EHJ killboard had been altered by some random guy. So either rackspace is a bunch of fuckwits (possible, but improbable), or some random guy I don't know of indeterminate skill did something retarded and then walked away, with nobody responsible for fixing it. I know which of these two possibilities I'll put my money on.

And yes, phpmyadmin will time out. That's why you use the shell to make your backups. I don't really like phpmyadmin very much anyway. I also don't have a problem with getting free hosting, as long as it's stable, because the theory is that someone should be making backups.

Oh, and did Acheron leave with a copy of the forums, or did he start from scratch?

Svn server as well as the pantless forum. Those were rsynced to another server as I was in charge of those. I am happy to host or you guys can move to a pay one. Whatever you guys think is best

Svn server as well as the pantless forum. Those were rsynced to another server as I was in charge of those. I am happy to host or you guys can move to a pay one. Whatever you guys think is best

<3 fix

it's annoying to talk to you about this subject because you seem to ignore the facts you're presented with. i write webapps for a living and i am telling you that when the problem completely disappears when the app is moved from a shared environment to a dedicated environment the problem is with the shared environment.

Well, if that's the case, then you're right. I thought that they went back to a stock killboard though, without some of the EHJ-specific modifications.

I actually like the new forum set up now after getting used to it :P. While we did loose years of posts, it isn't that big of a problem.. Unless if it happens again, and again. Would be nice to get a modified forum skin up here like the old one.

Well, if that's the case, then you're right. I thought that they went back to a stock killboard though, without some of the EHJ-specific modifications.

well, i can't find their killboard anymore so maybe they did run into some issues :P

Bad news. Spent majority of today inching through every partition recovered on that hard drive and did not find so much of a trace of the backup SQL dump file. Found a bunch of other stuff I thought I had lost long ago, but no SQL backups.

Sorry guys, it was a long shot but I thought I would give it a try anyway.

Bad news. Spent majority of today inching through every partition recovered on that hard drive and did not find so much of a trace of the backup SQL dump file. Found a bunch of other stuff I thought I had lost long ago, but no SQL backups.

Sorry guys, it was a long shot but I thought I would give it a try anyway.

what tool were you using, just out of curiousity? and this was an external usb drive that was formatted, not damaged in any way right ?

what tool were you using, just out of curiousity? and this was an external usb drive that was formatted, not damaged in any way right ?

PCInspector first, which I had used on the UBCD a few times with success in the past, then EASEUS once that failed, which returned the same results more or less. It was able to find many lost files, but none relevant (attempted a *.sql search to be sure). This was the first time I failed to recover something I needed, but these programs aren't exactly the highest of quality that you could probably get from a professional data recovery company at a hefty price.

The drive is an old(er) SATA drive that used to be in my external hard drive enclosure, yes. I wouldn't of put it past me to zero fill it before yanking it out of the enclosure (I replaced it with a larger size drive), but I don't quite remember doing that. We're talking about backups that were on this drive over a year ago, a drive that I have formatted and used for a bunch of other uses since then, most notably restoring some friend's crap to it. It's probably been kicked around a bit underneath my bed in the storage container where I found it the other night.

I guess its about time we all say fairwell to our history...? Especially some of the older trolls here.. oh well best you can do is start anew.. :D

anything really old we have a copy of. it's just 2007 through 2010 that are lost, and honestly what was in that time span that was really epic? if you say dofus drama i'll fucking cut you.

What about our Dofus drama? :(

And you can't cut me, i summoned my warlocks to cast divine shield on me..

Tho honestly you cannot really call 3 years of a forum "nothing".. as much as it might not matter to you it might to others.. see i could just as well say i do not give a shit on the history of EHJ before i joined ;)

Sign in to follow this