Sign in to follow this  
boots

Trashy Suicide Story

http://online.wsj.com/article/APd78a8fd3d2ac4845a51c38fc93eeab11.html

I'm not entirely certain if I should be 1. sad for this man, 2. happy for this man, or 3. envious of this man.

1. I think truly attempting suicide and failing has to be a really shitty experience altogether, so I'm kinda sad for him. And of all things being saved by piles of garbage??? I do kinda feel sorry for him.....

2. I'm happy it didn't go through, now he can get counseling and legal drugs and maybe have a second chance at life. Who knows? I have a friend who was all depressive and not going to be able to finish grad school and she got help and put on meds and she ended up having a better quality of life post-depression than pre-depression

3. One day I want to jump 9 stories and live through it. Thats like movie quality material right there! Maybe instead of landing in garbage though I'll jump from something like a little higher like an airplane or something and have a working parachute instead. And maybe not end up in the hospital afterwards. (I'm still working out the details.)

anyways, funny story.

Next time he should just jump off a higher building instead of just 9 stories, he is in NYC....

As far as failing at suicide, it is a horrible thing to go through. Someone in my family recently went through something like this just before christmas this year and he is still in a drug induced coma. Can't imagine what we are all going to do when he wakes up since he already went through tons of therapy and consoling before.

Next time he should just jump off a higher building instead of just 9 stories, he is in NYC....

I know! Seriously, if you're going to kill yourself, at least go all out.

i remember a girl in low who failed to suicide

she apparently runs a landscaping company now - soon to be architectural company.

maybe if she's very kind and forgiving she'll hire disco :P

I have a jerb, tyvm, and I actually work harder at it than I did in the two years I worked at a desk full-time doing architecture. Also, if you ever tip less than 15-20 percent, your waiter hates you.

I tip 10% unless the waiter/waitress does a good job, then it's 15% and 20% only if it's exceptional service and food. Waiters/waitresses get entirely too uppy about their tips, there are many other service industry jobs that don't get tips or any appreciation for what they do so I'm not particularly fond of all the whining about tips waiters/waitresses seem to do.

10% is shit. I would not like you if you did that, and if I saw you in again, I would give you shitty service because I know you're a cheapskate.

As a rule though, waiters don't actually keep all of the tip they get. We pay a percentage of our total sales to the kitchen for making and running the food (usually around 3%) and the bar for making our drinks, regardless of if we needed them (usually 1-2%). So what your 10% really means is 5%. You go to a restaurant, have a $20 dinner, and tip me $2? That means I'm really getting around $1 for waiting on you, and you're probably going to occupy my table for 30-45 minutes meaning I'll make $2 max per hour off of your cheap ass. Not worth my effort.

I tip 20% min, and go up to 50 or so if the waiter was awesome or if the food was fantastic. Sometimes over, if the food is reasonably cheap. Bartenders I do around 30-40, mostly so they'll remember me next time. Holding waiters accountable for food and tipping them less as a result is silly anyway, they don't run the kitchen.

you're probably going to occupy my table for 30-45 minutes meaning I'll make $2 max per hour off of your cheap ass. Not worth my effort.
Who said being a waiter was good money? What are you expecting? Even if he tipped you 20% you are still making near minimum wage.

Why do waiters think they are any better than fast food cashiers, janitors, or the numerous other low wage positions out there? I'm with Psychotik. 10-15%. I do the minimum, just like I expect all the waiters in the world to be doing. Tips should be rewards, not requirements imo. Restaurants should pay their waiters a real wage, with the exclusion of maybe the more upscale expensive restaurants.

This guy deserves more money than you.

Restaurants should pay more money, sure. But they don't. So your response to that is to punish the waiter for the failure of the restaurant business? That's idiotic.

If he, with a $20 check, tipped me 20% that would be $4. I'd then pay out 5% to the afore-mentioned people, so I'd make $3. Waiter minimum wage is $2.50 or something like that, so I'm all the way up to $5.50. My point remains that you should assume that 5% of whatever your total is will go to someone other than the waiter. So your moral stand for waiter's rights tip of 10% is really a tip of 5%.

And if you tipped me 10%, I'd think you a fucker too.

Why do waiters think they are any better than fast food cashiers, janitors, or the numerous other low wage positions out there? I'm with Psychotik. 10-15%. I do the minimum, just like I expect all the waiters in the world to be doing.

Because those positions get an hourly wage, and do not rely on tips to make them livable. Some of them even have benefits. As part of hourly positions, budgetary planning can be had at these places - 40 hours a week at $8 an hour, you can plan on that. Waiting tables, as a result of not having a plannable wage, is completely arbitrary. Can be $1000 in a week, can be $200.

Being a waiter is a service job. Earn your money and give me good service and I'll tip better. Do an average job, you'll get an average tip. I don't punish the waiters for kitchen screw ups, but if I'm sitting with an empty water glass for 10-15 minutes you aren't getting tipped well for not doing your job (unless it's extremely busy, in which case I'm more understanding).

Restaurants should pay more money, sure. But they don't. So your response to that is to punish the waiter for the failure of the restaurant business? That's idiotic.

Hey if you want to work for a business that doesn't pay you minimum wage, that's your prerogative. Why should I be expected to pay more than 10-15% tip because the restaurants take advantage of you. Restaurant food is already way more expensive than grocery or fast food without the expected 10-15% service charge on top of it, why can't some of that cost increase your wage?

Go to other countries, 10 % is normal, 15% is generous. Some countries don't expect tips at all. You expect me to give at least 15%? Americans have just built up a system of customary tipping and it's pretty dumb.

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/eurotips.htm

MoP, other countries pay waiters a minimum wage which is actually livable. In the UK its over 10 pounds / hour. To compare US to Europe for tipping is stupid, because in the US waiters get $2.50 an hour as opposed to actual minimum wage.

If you're inexplicably die-hard about teaching waiters a lesson by giving them 10%, then at least actually give them 10% by giving them 15 and recognizing the fact of tip-outs. Otherwise you're just a patronizing bastard.

You're trolling me, aren't you.

In the UK its over 10 pounds / hour. To compare US to Europe for tipping is stupid, because in the US waiters get $2.50 an hour as opposed to actual minimum wage.

Hey if you want to work for a business that doesn't pay you minimum wage, that's your prerogative.

Also FYI I am or am not trolling you.

Well then I admire the stand you take against waiter minimum wage by refusing to compensate for said minimum wage. Your willingness to draw attention to the plight of underpaid waiters by refusing to help pay them a livable wage is both selfless and inspiring. It's kind of like helping a drug addict by buying him a pound of raw heroin in order to force a rock bottom moment, in order that he may improve his lot in the future.

Well done sir, well done.

I make 3.00/hr....You better fucking tip me. I love how people say "I'm only going to tip 10-15." Those same exact people have probably never served a day in their life. People really have no conception of how hard it is to serve a six table section when you have annoying needy little woody allen's in your section. Next time, cut us a break and tip 15-20%, I know you will get extra great service from me the next time you come in. Not to mention that I am very handsome.