Sign in to follow this  
Manaco

Egypt

More Africans killing each other. What else is new?

Seriously, I haven't read enough about the subject to make any kind of intelligent analysis. And I probably won't.

From what I saw, the Egyptian "President" has been in power for 20?-30? years, and is re-elected with around 90% of the vote. The problem is that there are reports(which make sense) that the only reason the "president" and the government has remained in power for this long is through intimidation, bribery, threatening to kill people who oppose them, etc. etc.

So essentially it is not as democratic as it seems, and the people rioting now are fed up and are trying to fight back.

It's pretty incredible, really. The whole of Northern Africa is in revolt after a single guy in Tunisia set himself on fire in protest, and then a few copycats did it in neighboring countries, and whammy, revolt. It should be noted that they are not revolting for democratic reform (as the US and West would like to believe), but actually against lack of government services - unemployment insurance, jobs, healthcare, and the like, in addition to inflation etc. Their demographics also influence this, as do mass media. It is a very interesting development; if Egypt falls like Tunisia did, the whole middle east could be at risk of doing so too.

More Africans killing each other. What else is new?

Seriously, I haven't read enough about the subject to make any kind of intelligent analysis. And I probably won't.

rofl

not like you ever contribute any kind of intelligent analysis to begin with

rofl

not like you ever contribute any kind of intelligent analysis to begin with

It's only funny because you say it.

Iran part deuce.

I hope we can keep up some sort of relationship with whoever comes out with the political power. If not, watch gas prices soar.

Of course we will, which is why we're not running around saying WE SUPPORT DEMOCRACY EVERYWHERE! REVOLT, EGYPTIANS! and instead saying "we cautiously request that all involved parties use restraint."

Lets just hope that the Egyptian "President" steps down and doesn't try and surpress the riots and the general population. I don't even want to see what happens if the U.S or others have to deal with the problem if it becomes a massacre.

So it has less to do with a bunch of people not getting unemployment compensation (that's just silly) and more to do with the group called the Muslim Brotherhood attempting to seize power. Or not. It's hard to tell. Figuring out who they really are, though, is the real challenge. I've read everything from "they're jihadists/terrorists" to "they have no power and condemn al-Qaeda." Both ideas are probably sprinkled with little bits of truth and misdirection, designed to sway the reader in one direction or another.

I don't think it's entirely possible to completely understand what is really happening over there.

It's an everything factor. The opposition party is definitely involved, and they're using anger over unemployment to fuel this.

Wing: The current president is great for the US/Israel, not so great for the Egyptian population. I'm surprised you'd take a stance like that, honestly. I'd bet a less moderate leader in Egypt will declare war on Israel again.

I could care less if the new leader coming out of Egypt is good for the U.S, it would be better for Egypt to have a leader that their citizens like and is good for their country. Sure a new leader may be more hostile towards Israel or may not support the U.S as much, but it is better than having a leader "placed" or put into power, or supported that supports the U.S but is not liked by the majority of the population.

Currently we send about $1 billion(saw it on tv last night) dollars per year to Egypt to support them, and it also seems that we support their military since they use a lot of weapons, tanks, (and tear gas if anyone saw the Colbert Report), although I don't know if we simply sell them this stuff, or actually help fund them.

Either way, it would be better to let some kind of democratic process come out of this since if the people overthrow the government and then replace the current president with someone horrible it won't fall back onto the U.S or others. It would be the Egyptian's fault and would not end up being a situation where people will start another revolt because the U.S stepped in and tried to make a friendly gov't(see the problems in Iraq/Afghan).

At the very least im happy to see the U.S gov't finally trying to stay out of other's business, we have our own problems and should let things play out even if they aren't in our best interests to do so.

l them this stuff, or actually help fund them.

Either way, it would be better to let some kind of democratic process come out of this since if the people overthrow the government and then replace the current president with someone horrible it won't fall back onto the U.S or others. It would be the Egyptian's fault and would not end up being a situation where people will start another revolt because the U.S stepped in and tried to make a friendly gov't(see the problems in Iraq/Afghan).

So, after a revolt, good times?

Do you honestly think if shit hits the fan with this new party, the US won't be dragged into it?

And c'mon, 1 billion is nothing.

Claiming Muslim Brotherhood is a cop-out, at least when you say they're a terrorist organization. They are conservative, sure, but they're not all terrorists - most of them are just members of a political party. And they're just one of many fractions trying to capitalize on the unrest, just as every other interested party is. What is absolutely fascinating to me is how this one guy with a fruit cart in Tunisia could end up killing himself for the revolution of hundreds of millions of people.

Claiming Muslim Brotherhood is a cop-out, at least when you say they're a terrorist organization. They are conservative, sure, but they're not all terrorists - most of them are just members of a political party. And they're just one of many fractions trying to capitalize on the unrest, just as every other interested party is. What is absolutely fascinating to me is how this one guy with a fruit cart in Tunisia could end up killing himself for the revolution of hundreds of millions of people.

And claiming that an entire revolution started because the population wants unemployment compensation and free trips to the doctor is just ridiculous.

Why don't you go back and read what I wrote about how there's consistent misinformation and truth in all the descriptions of them and it's difficult to tell who they really are and how much power they really have or want. I added what I said about them because they are the most mentioned party in the overall news trends and no one here has said anything about them.

I do agree with you that they are just one of many parties attempting to capitalize. But like I said, the MB is the most mentioned in the news reports I've seen/read.

So, after a revolt, good times?

Do you honestly think if shit hits the fan with this new party, the US won't be dragged into it?

And c'mon, 1 billion is nothing.

My personal opinion is that we will at least not get entirely involved if things spiral downwards. Our country simply cannot be involved in 3 conflicts at once, yet alone 2 conflicts but thats another topic. And 1 billion is a lot more than 0, so yes it is a lot of money, that money could easily be put towards paying our debt off each year or be put towards something in the U.S.

The only reason we have to give two shits about Egypt is that something like 4 million barrels of oil a day flow across the country on the way to somewhere we do give a shit about. Otherwise we'd care about as much as we did when Tunisia did the exact same thing.

So maybe we can finally make getting off foreign oil a national security priority, so egypt can go do whatever they want without us having to fuck around with it.

The Muslim Brotherhood thing, imo, is more hyped in western media because it fits a neat narrative. As for the causes, they are infinitely complex.

Wow, you act as if these guys are quite reasonable!

I've seen what you say about the Tea Party, you judge them by their outliers, but now it is more convenient for you to ignore the fringe members of MB.

Hell, I see what you say about the conservative Reps.

So maybe we can finally make getting off foreign oil a national security priority, so egypt can go do whatever they want without us having to fuck around with it.

"If a caribou needs to be sacrificed for the sake of energy independence... I say, 'Mr. Caribou, maybe you need to take one for the team.'" - Sarah Palin

Wow, you act as if these guys are quite reasonable!

I've seen what you say about the Tea Party, you judge them by their outliers, but now it is more convenient for you to ignore the fringe members of MB.

Hell, I see what you say about the conservative Reps.

Since disco probably has you on ignore, I just wanted him to see this, as it is a completely accurate assessment.