Sign in to follow this  
numbers

Can't boot computer

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.

Select 'r' at the first screen to repair.

*looks for cd & button to hold down on startup to change bios, in order to access cd on startup*

edit: found cd $ 'del' was button for my bios, hopefully repair works

I'm showing my raid as incorrect on windows setup; it's showing 1/2 of my gb as unpartitoned. When I start my CPU, it says the full amount on one of the screens

Your system registry is fucked and windows is toast. Time to reinstall; even if you fix it, you'll have lost most of your registry and you'll be basically starting from a fresh install anyway.

As long as your system drive isn't on the RAID you'll be fine. If it is you're going to need to get the correct drivers either on a floppy or slipstreamed onto your windows CD.

Both hd's showed up on windows setup as:

disk 0 at id 0 on bus 0 on atapi

After setup, computer restarted and when it posted the devices, the error in screenshot shows up

Maybe a motherboard or hdd issue?

photofh.jpg

Now that I think about it, most of the devices were showing up as Bus 0, some not though; I probably could of taken a picture of that too, but it didn't cross my mind. However, most are numbered correctly for Device No., so maybe that's a non-issue.

Ugh. Your OS is on a striped setup? I think Rollin' might have nailed this one. Even recovering a bit of data from that is either a giant nightmare or just plain impossible.

Can you get a command prompt at all during repair attempts?

Dunno what OS you are running, but here is a Microsoft article for XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Helluva process...

I've already reformatted; I'm currently trying to turn on the computer but I get the error on the previous post of mine (errors up when devices are posted, doesn't make it to windows screen).

This link leads you to the download page of a program that completely and effectively wipes out your hard drive by replacing every bit with a binary 0. It's obviously a last resort since there's no way of getting anything back after it's done, but it'll pretty effectively show you if it's a problem with your hardware or not.

Computer won't even turn on now (no beeps); what steps do you normally take... Taking everything out and doing 1 piece at a time?

Edit: got it beeping (irregularly); what's the bare minimum hardware to have it run? (and hear the normal, 1 beep)

Windows is currently installing; woot woot. Unfortunately, the reformating had to be done earlier ;(

Also, the sata is currently messed up... having to do C: and D: without proper 'mirroring'

Hopefully it works fully again.

comp is up; what are some decent anti-viruses to use?

Friend recommended nod32, but not sure how much I'd want to pay for one when I've never had an issue with viruses thus far.