Sign in to follow this  
numbers

Official Movie Discussion Thread

Starting a new thread; oh well...

Just finished watching The Decalogue (10 episoides) and I can say.. it's in my top 10. Great movie.

Too tired atm to post a synopsis, so copied and pasted from wiki:

The Decalogue (Polish: Dekalog) is a 1989 Polish television drama series directed by Krzysztof Kieślowski[1] and co-written by Kieślowski with Krzysztof Piesiewicz, with music by Zbigniew Preisner. [2]. It consists of ten one-hour films, each of which represents one of the Ten Commandments[3] and explores possible meanings of the commandment—often ambiguous or contradictory—within a fictional story set in modern Poland. The series is Kieślowski's most acclaimed work and has won numerous international awards, though it was not widely released outside Europe until the late 1990s. [4] Filmmaker Stanley Kubrick wrote an admiring foreword to the movie in 1991[5].

Or if your more into reading a critics review:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20000402/REVIEWS08/4020301/1023

I recommend watching Lovely Bones - really touching and well put together movie.. :)

I heard it wasn't very good, but will give it a shot.

If none of you have watched Sybil, you should. It's based on a true story about a woman who goes into therapy for multiple personalities. It is an older film (made for TV actually) and the star is Sally Field. Very good. Long one though so grab some popcorn.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075296/

I have yet to see it and i never really take people's reviews for granted - but it does have some good actors in it and will most likely give it a try - might actually download it tonight and let you know what i think of it.. ;)

Ok just finished watching Shutter Island - I found the movie amazing and captivating.. i recommend that one as well ;) will try to get a hold of Alice in Wonderland tonight :D

Just watched "Kids"

A bunch of 12 year olds who are bad as hell. Skateboard, drink 40's, take pills, smoke blunts and swear like south park all the time.

I enjoyed it.

Finally dragged my ass to town to see what the Avatar yada was all about a couple of weekends ago. They had stopped showing it in 3-D by then and that kind of sucked, feel like I missed out on a slightly better experience. Actually a very interesting concept even though I've read a few books in this kind of thread, but still a good looking movie and good story, but the one problem I had with it was the length of the thing. Unfortunately it didn't leave me wanting to see more like a lot of films have because of it, even though it left the possibility of a sequel wide open at the end....

Seriously considering renewing the Netflix subscription....

watched The Time Traveller's Wife last night with the wife. great couples movie. really enjoyed it even though i knew what would happen when i first saw him

show up shot in the hallway, and my wife caught that it was his daughter visiting them first time through which i thought was impressive

I watched Outlander the other night, thought it was pretty good as long as you can ignore some of the usual hollywood flaws.

Watched Alice in Wonderland.. not a bad movie.. but lets just say it was worth the download if you catch my drift ;)

Also watched Defendor - totally recommend it - i liked it more than Alice in blablaland :mellow:

The Hurtlocker

OK, so I watched this academy award-winning "Best Picture", "Best Director" last week.

I wasn't greatly impressed. It's not that it was a BAD movie. I enjoyed it. It's just that it wasn't that great, and didn't live up to expectations.

I can see the best director award. For the story (not much of one), the characters (never developed), and the setting (good, but not superb), the direction, camera angles, and scene cuts were excellent. All in all, the movie felt like it told part of a story - the middle, with no beginning and only part of the end.

But best picture? I think it's a reflection on the poor selection of movies in 2009, rather than this particular movie being particularly outstanding.

NV watched the first ep. of The Decalogue without subtitles ;/

After telling NV to watch it, it makes me want to buy the dvd set. I need to rent a few movies I've seen already again, they are just that good.

I'm having 8 1/2 & La Dolce Vita coming back next. After that, Burden of Dreams (a documentary on the movie 'Fitzcarraldo'). I'll probably rent that movie & Aguirre: The Wrath of God again. Probably Aguirre: The Wrath of God first.

Clash of the Titans. Not bad. Not great. On its own, it's fairly average. Compared to the original, it doesn't stand up. The first one had so much more in it. More character development, more charisma, more soul. It was much sexier. Yes, the SFX are clay-mation, but that's what they had. The new one seems like the cut out all of the "extraneous" character development, removed any tension and character development and all of the sexiness. There were a couple of really good scenes and some new characters that I would like to have seen more of (and some less of), but over all, I felt like I was waiting for something, not totally satisfied with what the movie was giving me.

The story is basically the same, with a few differences. One thing that made it worse for me were the CGI animations. Yeah, I thought the Kracken was absolutely awesome, but that was a total of 10 minutes. The whole scene with Medusa was reduced to just special effects. In the original, it was dark, suspenseful, even a bit gory. In this new one, Medusa is out there for all to see almost the whole time. You see her the whole time and there's no suspense to that whole part at all.

Anyway, if you're not familiar with the original, you're not missing anything. If you loved the original, like I did, it's not a bad remake. 3/5 on its own. 1/5 compared to the original.

These aren't really the newest movies but here is my opinion on them.

Harry Potter: Half Blood Prince 4/5

It's what you would expect from a Harry Potter movie. The whole teenage relationship stuff I wasn't a fan of, but the rest was done well. Probably was even better since I have given up reading the books and don't know what happens next.

The Hurt Locker- 5/5 I have nothing bad to say about it, must watch.