Sign in to follow this  
numbers

Official Movie Discussion Thread

New Xmen was pretty good.

Yeah, it wasn't fantastic, I didn't think. But definitely worth the $7.50. I think Quicksilver stole the movie for me.

Robocop was really good, I thought. I like Joel Kinnaman (from The Killing) and I thought the philosophical discussions about human free will were pretty neat to be included in the movie. The nods to the first movie were appropriate, e.g. "Buy that for a dollar," "Dead or alive...," how he holds the guy's arm down the same way Murphy's arm was held down in the original. It didn't have the same flavor or humor that the first one had, but the actors involved did a great job, IMO.

Edge of Tomorrow is excellent, probably the best movie I've seen all year and definitely the best sci-fi movie I've seen all year. I'm a huge Tom Cruise fan and he did his usual top-notch performance here. Emily Blunt and Bill Paxton both have great roles, Paxton's especially. Highly recommend, and it makes me want to grab the book.

A bit late, but watched American Hustle last night. I was expecting a good movie and it didn't disappoint. Nothing I'd call extraordinary but overall very solid - 8/10.

I really liked X-Men, although there were a few things that bugged me.

How the movie pretty much just erased all of the previous 10 years of X-Men movies. That's what I dislike with time traveling stuff...

Lucy was terrible. Even being built on a fa;se premise, the execution could have been so much better.

Guardians of the Galaxy was decent. I'm not a big fan of the comic book movies but it was definitely worth the $10.00.

John Wick: 4/5 It was better than I expected it to be. Keanu has a pretty limited range and I thought this movie was a good fit for him. Lots of well-choreographed action. One thing that stood out was the background mythology, of sorts. There were many pre-existing relationships and a hearty background to the environment and how those characters related to that environment. Honestly, I wanted to know more about that, which I think is a sign of good writing. Overall, good popcorn movie.

Interstellar. Okay, I wanted to like this movie so, so badly. The first half to 3/4 is fantastic. Interesting and mysterious premise, humorous, good writing, great acting. But the last 25% of the movie was predictable and simply spoiled the rest of the movie for me. I'll give it a 3.5/5 because the first part of the movie is so good and the eye candy is amazing. I don't have an IMAX in my town, at least for a few weeks, so I bet it's awesome on that large a screen.

Yes, I'm actually saying that I enjoyed John Wick better than Interstellar. Before I left the house this morning, I would have called you a liar if you said I would be saying that tonight.

The whole "everything mysterious that happened in the beginning is the result of the main character's actions that are revealed at the end" is unoriginal and disappointing. Insidious 2 (a pretty good movie on its own) did it already and better, so it felt stale and unworthy of a Nolan movie. I compare all of his movies to Inception, which I thought was phenomenal. This one doesn't measure up and I saw the two twists long before they occurred, which disappointed me. i09 sums it up nicely. As does Slate.

Ex Machina: Truly an excellent movie. I loved every minute of it. It's smart, engaging, and a much better movie about AI than the new Avengers could ever be. I actually saw the new Avengers and then immediately after saw Ex Machina and I enjoyed Ex Machina more. Even if you don't like it as much as I did, you would have to admit that it's a more intelligent movie than mostly everything out there. Honestly, I'd put it up there with Primer, though without the extensive twists.

It looks fantastic, but I haven't seen it. Avengers was a blast though. We saw it at 10 AM on Sunday. No crowds.

Last night we watched The Cobbler with Dustin Hoffman and Adam Sandler. Premise was a bit goofy, but it was a feelgood type movie.

Good to know that Ex Machina is as advertised, I really liked Chappie too which had a really good twist on the whole concept of AI and was rather surprised with the conclusion. Honestly, I expected the religious nuts to come out in arms over the concept of transferring someone "life" or "consciousness" to an inanimate object.  

Also wanted to warn you guys away from Hot Tub Time Machine 2. A complete and total pile of rotting garbage. There is only one redeemable part of it, which happens in the beginning of the movie, which involves an amazing pair of bewbs.

Looking forward to watching that.

We watched Ex Machina last week. Very good. Fantastic acting. Hot robots.

So, Jurassic World is quite good. The first ten minutes are terrible, but beyond that, the story moves pretty seamlessly. There are some really great individual scenes (spoilers below) in the movie that make the whole thing worthwhile, I think. Chris Pratt is really fantastic, really making the movie for me.

1. The Ankylosaurus fight. 2. Prattkeeping. 3. The slow-motion of Blue returning to the fight at the end. 4. The run through the forest. 5. Brachiosaurus death.

A couple things bothered me:

1. How would the I. Rex know she was being tracked by heat? It's passive technology and she had no predators from which to hide. 2. They had a minigun and a guy that had no idea how to properly use it. I know it's a movie, but come on. It's a freaking minigun. It would have killed the I. Rex by itself if used properly.

It didn't have the magic of the first one (partly because I'm not 7), but as a movie it was much more enjoyable than 2 and 3.  Some of the scenes with the kids were kind of cheesy, but I agree that Pratt made the movie worth watching.  

One thing that kind of surprised me:

The woman that was trying and failing to keep track of the kids died a pretty elaborate death for a character that benign.  They usually save that kind of thing for characters the audience is supposed to hate.

I liked it over all but one thing really did bother me about the movie.

If one key part of the plot line was the development of a new dinosaur why not change how it looked? The new one was just an oversized T-Rex with longer arms and hidden characteristics. I would have been more impressed if they had made it look completely different from anything we have ever seen. Show me your creativity for shit sakes!

Inside Out is a great movie, for kids and adults alike. We took my foster daughter to see it and I think I enjoyed it more than she did. The physical humor and quirky characters are great for the kids and the high level of scientific accuracy and jokes are great for adults. I personally think it's one of Pixar's best, honestly.

Terminator Genisys is pretty good, maybe 3.5/5 stars. The first half is excellent, as it scene-by-scene recreates the original Terminator with Jai Courtney as Kyle Reese and they do a great job. Nostalgia boner, fo' real. But the second half is convoluted and not so much confusing as it is not very original and I didn't think it was written very well. It just didn't have that same punch that T1 or T2 had. Good thing is, though, that this movie erased T3 and T:S.

I've read that it seemed to have so many holes in the plot (I only saw a couple) and unanswered questions because it was intended to be a trilogy, with the next one coming out in 2017 followed by 2018. The questions and plot holes are supposed to be answered in those movies. That is, of course, if this one actually makes any money, which appears to not be the case.

Inside Out is a great movie, for kids and adults alike. We took my foster daughter to see it and I think I enjoyed it more than she did. The physical humor and quirky characters are great for the kids and the high level of scientific accuracy and jokes are great for adults. I personally think it's one of Pixar's best, honestly.

Agreed. It was an amazing movie that was very creative and original. I took my daughter to see Minions this past weekend and found it just as enjoyable. There was a bit more adult humor in Minions but it was still quite enjoyable for my daughter although she did make it a point to tell me that she enjoyed Inside Out more.