Sign in to follow this  
numbers

Official Movie Discussion Thread

Just watched Get him to the Greek. If anyone's been looking for something to slapstick to while toking since Superbad, that one does pretty good. I think I forgot to say a few months ago, MacGruber also did well in that category.

He argues that it takes hours (unless killed then the delay is drastically reduced, sometimes to near-instant) in every film for any infected to turn.

I say it's possible for "look at zombie, turn to one instantly" - OKAY maybe not that literal but the shorter the delay, the better it plays in my favor.

28 days later and 28 weeks later have about a 30-60 second delay between infection and zombiefication.

----

I should have posted this ages ago but forgot about the thread.

The Other Guys

Absolutely hillarious. There were only a few people in the cinema but the movie was so good I think all of us laughed out loud at least once, I normally really hate laugh out louders, but none of us could help it.

It's just straight up funny in a very good and healthy way.

Great chemistry between the leads as well.

Just watched Get him to the Greek. If anyone's been looking for something to slapstick to while toking since Superbad, that one does pretty good. I think I forgot to say a few months ago, MacGruber also did well in that category.

Cres, you and I definitely have completely different tastes in movies. I thought GHTTG was so dumb that I turned it off before it was done. I didn't even care enough to know if he actually got him there. (I guess it's better if you're high.) The same with MacGruber. Just plain dumb.

Cres, you and I definitely have completely different tastes in movies. I thought GHTTG was so dumb that I turned it off before it was done. I didn't even care enough to know if he actually got him there. (I guess it's better if you're high.) The same with MacGruber. Just plain dumb.

It's a movie you don't have to watch at all to turn your head and laugh. A lot like super troopers as well. There is no need to follow the weak plot, just watch bits and chat, ignore it for 2 hours... Whatever, you don't need to watch it, but its better than quiet.

I'd never watch Get Him to the Greek. Russell Brand and Jonas Hill are so hateable and their "acting" is awful.

You're right about that. I've hated them in everything I've ever seen them in. I don't know why I thought it would be different this time.

Vampires Suck: This movie surprised me. I'm not really a fan of the Twilight thing, though I have seen all the movies. I thought Vampires Suck was actually a very good parody, as parodies go. The girl did a fantastic job mimicking Bella (and she's damn hot) and there were laughs constantly throughout the movie, even though quite a few were little chuckles here and there. I expected a piece of crap and I was pleasantly surprised.

My wife is a Twilight freak and she said there were a lot of little things in the movie that made it good for her. If you've never seen the Twilight movies, don't bother. You won't get any of the jokes. It's just not funny on its own.

We went to go see I Love You Phillip Morris last night.

Fucking hilarious. One of my favorites this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoFANivV44g

Steven Russell is happily married to Debbie, and a member of the local police force when a car accident provokes a dramatic reassessment of his life. Steven becomes open about his homosexuality and decides to live life to the fullest - even if it means breaking the law. Steven's new, extravagant lifestyle involves cons and fraud and, eventually, a stay in the State Penitentiary where he meets sensitive, soft-spoken Phillip Morris. His devotion to freeing Phillip from jail and building the perfect life together prompts Steven to attempt and often succeed at one impossible con after another.

City Island: Netflix recommended this to me and I'm glad they/it did. This is a great movie that is completely driven by the characters and their development along the way. No crazy plot twists, no deus ex machina, just plain and simple plot development through the characters and their flawed choices. It's funny at times, a little sad at times, a little romantic at times, but it's fun the whole way through. Highly recommend. 4.5/5

Tron: Come on, no one wants to review this? I saw it on New Years Day. Pretty good, I guess. Special effects were fantastic. Light cycle match was amazing. The girls were super hot. It seemed to me that there was this whole middle part of the story between the original and this one that would have helped explain a lot. They do a little explaining in the movie, but you're really just dropped into this whole other world that has developed on its own and no real understanding of how or why things happen the way they do. I had lots of unanswered questions, especially at the end when

Jeff Bridges' character does something superhuman and I can't understand where he learned how to do that or why he was able to do it or why he didn't do anything like that before or what else he was able to do.

Overall, I thought it was a good movie. 4/5

Fahr, in reply to your spoiler question.

He did that before, sorta, at the bar fight. I thought, to me, he knew tricks of the system and was able to alter code, like he did with the girl's disk to fix her arm

True Grit: I'm not a fan of westerns, and the coen brothers kept this film in the western genre. However, they did an excellent job at it. This film is in my top 3 this year. The casting is spot on, acting is great. There is not a lot of action, dont get fooled by the previews, its mostly a journey film.

Black Swan: Good movie, also in my top 3 this year. Natalie portman has great shot at best actress. She also looks the prettiest i've ever seen her (in the face), her body is a bit anorexic though. Mila Kunis also does a great job at supporting--- all the acting is good actually. The back plot--- although gay ballerina on the outside-- is enough to draw you in and then all the weird shit happening will keep your interested.

Phillip Morris is awesome. I saw it like 8 months ago when it leaked to the internets, and I was thoroughly entertained. Hilarious movie, and based on a real character too.

Black Swan and The Fighter: Excellent movies. I saw them back to back to save the ticket cost. Black Swan was disturbing and kept you pulled in, and The Fighter was just all-around good.

Also I nominate Natalie Portman for best actress and Christian Bale for best supporting actor (but damn he looked almost as bad as in the machinist).

Also I hated true grit. It's just a simple western, it says nothing about society at large, the demise of "the west", or anything else which makes westerns awesome. It's just a dude chasing someone for 2 hours then killing him. I was incredibly disappointed.

Also I hated true grit. It's just a simple western, it says nothing about society at large, the demise of "the west", or anything else which makes westerns awesome. It's just a dude chasing someone for 2 hours then killing him. I was incredibly disappointed.

Who are you to disagree with a 95% of the critics aggregated by Rotton Tomatoes? They are "Experts". And we know how much you like to point out when Nate disagrees with "Experts".

Who are you to disagree with a 95% of the critics aggregated by Rotton Tomatoes? They are "Experts". And we know how much you like to point out when Nate disagrees with "Experts".

I would respond to this if you hadn't killed that puppy last summer, you heartless bastard.

Did you even watch the movie? Because it wasn't just some dude chasing another dude. It was a teenage girl hiring an awesome, yet crusty, lawman to hunt down her dad's killer.

And he doesn't kill the dude at the end, she does.

It was a western, but the writing was excellent, the dialogue was funny, and the characters were well done.

The problem is, it didn't fit into your stereotype of a western so you hated it, instead of appreciating it for what it was: an entertaining movie.

And The Fighter was just okay to me. Bale was fantastic in it, but that was the only remarkable thing about the movie. It was predictable and bland. The fighting was good, but I think that the movie has been judged by what took place in the last 20 minutes, not throughout the entire movie.

True Grit was the best movie of the year(No doubt on that!) I can't believe you thought it was horrible? The quick back-talk from the girl in that was amazing. I also highly suggest you see the one with John Wayne in it, as he does an amazing job in that one as well.

I love westerns, especially modern westerns. I was just bored shitless by the movie, and the dialogue was unbelievably polite and correct. It was pretty, but it was not amazing. Westerns, imo, are supposed to speak about American identity and ambivalence - the classic motif of the train line unstoppably plowing through a quaint little town, representing unrelenting progress while showing the desire for a simpler past like in every Eastwood western, for exmaple - or about pulling back the veil on the traditional western of "herp derp, john wayne saves lady, everybody happy, bad man dead" and showing how morally bankrupt even heroes can be. I didn't get any of that from true grit. I got a simple western with overwrought dialogue.

The Good. The Bad. The Weird. It may be in a different language but I found this movie to be great, you can find it online over Netflix. It is essentially an asian spin off of treasure hunting, and has some pretty cool action scenes and plenty of comedy.

Since the other thread got revived, figured I'd give this one some mouth-to-mouth.

Saw two alien-invasion-type movies this weekend: Battle: Los Angeles and Skyline. Very different movies.

Battle: LA: Black Hawk Down meets Independence Day. Lots of action, slight bit of character drama (IOW, two-dimensional characters) but a good, mindless flick overall. I enjoyed it on same level I enjoy any action movie.

Skyline: Very different movie than I expected it to be. Hard to explain without giving too much away but I found that the scope and force of the invasion (not necessarily the type) was much more likely than most other alien invasion movies. I liked it, but I understand that a lot of people won't. It doesn't have a happy ending. Not really a sad ending. Just different than what I expected, which is always good. It's just difficult to explain. You won't finish watching it and say something like, "Holy shit! That was awesome!" or anything.

I give both of these 4/5 stars, but for different reasons.

Cat: On the two comedies from the last page: neither of them were meant to be brain teasers, they were just two functional comedies in an otherwise arid, laughless world. There is dick all comedy that have come out of Hollywood in the last 5 years and I pointed those out in case someone else on here, like me, was desperately looking for something to giggle at. Get him to the greek does that for most of the movie. MacGruber does that... occasionally. Yes, the humor is absurd, but imo, "absurd" is pretty much the only funny thing left.

Tron: The whole point of Tron was to show off a "new" technology of special effects that was, at the time, impressive. There's no story to build on, no questions to answer, no hidden meaning. It was a light show, nothing else. When you take the same formula 30 years later, when CGI is taken for granted, that formula is a meaningless circle jerk. To further adapt an otherwise archaic model to modern expectations was the final insult. Really? One of the programs is gay? Like, what does that even mean? Does it have sex with other programs of the same gender? The industry is clearly pandering to any audience that is already following something, anything, because then at least they have a few hundred thousand guaranteed customers. I mean, Little Red Riding Hood? Are you fucking serious?

True Grit: It was good dialogue, and it was hard not to fall for the quick-witted main character. I had a bit of a hard time believing it all though. The fact is, that witty little girl should've gotten slapped around, raped and left for dead the first time she talked back to any of the main characters, and the fact that she didn't simply reinforced the notion that it was not, in fact, a precocious 14 year old girl talking, but far less witty 40-something year old writers living in 2010.