Sign in to follow this  
numbers

Official Movie Discussion Thread

Limitless: Good movie that reminded me of Fight Club in some aspects. They play a lot with color throughout the movie, depending on whether or not a character is on the drug and the effects when the camera is "zooming into infinite space" are pretty awesome. Although the ending was a little weak and left a lot of questions on the table, I still recommend seeing it.

What I've Seen Recently (in order of greatness):

Black Swawn - Go see this movie. Go. It was extroidanary. (Snuck into this movie after Cedar Rapids)

Cedar Rapids - Feel good laugh your ass off movie. Good comedy and not the typical dumb stunts shit. This is a must for "The Wire" fans.

Social Network - A little slow at times, but I enjoyed most of it. <3 the score

The Town - Watched this last night. Enjoyed it. Good action and decent characters. Some of the parts could have been left out. Ending wasn't my favorite.

Battle LA - Terribad. We even had some beers before and during the movie. The action scenes were above average but the writing was beyond laughable.

You've definitely described my exact expectations for battle LA. I'll give Cedar Rapids a whirl though, doesn't look too bad.

p.s. extraordinary

I really liked Battle LA, was def worth my time and money. Action scenes were good, and there was a lot of them. Yea character backstories were kinda meh, but I wasn't wanting there to be anything special about them. I was wanting a bunch of shooting and explosions, and they did that well.

You've definitely described my exact expectations for battle LA. I'll give Cedar Rapids a whirl though, doesn't look too bad.

p.s. extraordinary

yar - i don't speeeeel wourth shat

Syriana, 2005.

An old one, but having re-watched it, damn is it interesting. Fantastic political movie, and not at all out of the realm of possibility.

Just saw Battle LA. Honestly thought this was possibly the best alien invasion movie ever simply because if there was a REAL, ACTUAL, ALIEN INVASION, it'll probably look exactly like this. I love how the aliens are human-like in behavior, rescuing their own people and using military tactics. Their technology look a whole generation ahead of us. Loved that 8~16 ground missile launcher thing on the freeway scene. Ending was well done, imo.

My only meh is how whiny those marines were. I understand it's an alien invasion so that's really hard to stay focused but some of the dialogue was just lame.

If they make a sequel, I won't be surprised.

Sucker punch....

Stop what you are doing and just go.... just go....

I just went... just went....

And it's okay. The action scenes are phenomenal, very well done. All very different, highly stylized, full of acrobatics and other cool stuff.

Story absolutely sucks. It's preachy and the acting is bad.

So, see it for the action. It's at least worth that.

Manaco, I agree with your observations for B:LA. I thought the same things when I saw it.

Tron Legacy.

dear god. Whoever wrote the dialogue for this movie should be shot. Painful. Just painful. Too bad, because the plot itself wasn't that bad.

Battle: LA was a good alien invasion movie. I think it fell short in the "killing the pesky humans" category, but they weren't so far ahead of us that we couldn't fight back.

Sucker Punch: I liked it. I even was able to follow the plot even though friends next to me were very confused. The funniest moment was after the credits when another viewer christened it "the bastard love child of Inception and Showgirls."

Adjustment Bureau: Phillip K Dick is dead and his ideas are still worth movies. Haven't read the short story it was based on, but that is now on the to-do list.

Battle: LA was a good alien invasion movie. I think it fell short in the "killing the pesky humans" category, but they weren't so far ahead of us that we couldn't fight back.

I personally think the aliens assumed we couldn't do jack shit and that's why they didn't just start off with their impressive air forces. When they realized "oh shit, they got pea shooters and seems to be able to fight back, better send in the air support" and I'm pretty sure they got nukes of their own but for whatever reason they choose not to use it, yet. (maybe radioactive and would contaminate the water, too expensive, requires tons of time to charge, etc.) It's like Avatar, even though we are capable of nuking the fuck out of those blue people, we didn't.

I saw Sucker Punch this weekend and its now one of my favorite movies of all time.

Adjustment Bureau could have been way better imo. Concept was good, the story was lame though.

Girl power, huh?

Can't say that was a drawback to my liking it ^_^

But it also fixed everything that annoyed me about Inception in a very similar movie.

I personally thought the plot was more original and had more depth than The Adjustment Bureau's primary driving plotline (despite the premise of Adjustment Bureau being interesting and unique, the overall story was old and dumb) but thats just my opinion.

I've seen three movies as of late that were worth noting.

The King's Speech - It is good, but you don't need me to tell you that. You should go into this movie expecting good acting, but not a lot of stimuli otherwise. It's a period piece about someone getting over their penchant to stammer. Seeing Helene Bonham Carter in a normal role was disorienting, but otherwise you'll either like it or be bored to tears.

The Company Men - This film is about several men caught up in the economic collapse of '08/'09. I thought it was close to home, compellingly relatable, and well acted. The movie features Ben Affleck, Tommy Lee Jones, Ben Affleck, and Chris Cooper. There's a lot of social commentary to interpret, but the film does not really preach. Oddly, the trailers framed this movie as a film about men getting fired and setting up a new business. This is far more about how they cope, and the personal fallout the crisis had on the average impacted white collar worker.

The Illusionist - This was an Oscar contender for best animated film. I liked it, but this is another film where you have to come prepared. There's little dialogue, however, and the story can drag along at times. Beneath the surface, though, is a powerful tale with an effective, thought-provoking revelation at the end.

I want to watch it! I haven't heard bad things about it anywhere (except from Deity here apparently, some people just like to be different :P )