Sign in to follow this  
numbers

#'s

Intel Build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K - $219.99

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - $59.99

Motherboard:

Graphics:

Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 (9-9-9-24) - $69.99 (would a better one even be wanted, for someone who probably doesn't plan to oc?)

Monitor:

Case:

DVD:

PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - $94.99 (is 650 overkill?)

Budget Build:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX - $134.99 (probably goes on sale)

Monitor sale today on Newegg. 1080P 23" for $139.99 shipped is pretty sick, and with free shipping you can buy monitors before you got your build ready at no loss.

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/July-0-2011/allstar26/index-landing.html

Faster Memory for $6 more after EMCKCHD29 and $10 MIR, but it doesn't look like the timings are as low(good?) so I don't know.

DVD Burner for $20

Hard Drive: I would go for a 64MB Cache.

You have no need for a 2600k. Absolutely none. Well... unless you are doing some serious rendering or other heavy computation I don't know about. 2500k is much smarter for you and it is only $10 more than the locked version. However you can save yourself $80 by not having 4 virtual cores you really don't need. Put that money into a boot SSD or save it. There are some Kingston 64gb that go on sale for that price often.

1600 rated memory is fine at that price.

650w PSU is the sweet spot if you ever get the chance to crossfire or SLI. Good choice. Often skimped on and shouldn't be.

For mobos, I'd go with Asus, Asrock, or Gigabyte and stay between $125 and 150. A p67 is for overclocking while a z68 allows for OC AND the use of the GPU in the processor. Should your GPU go down, you'd still be able to use your PC. Would you go micro atx?

We can also explore an AMD build with the new Llano CPUs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=35-608-018&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=4#scrollFullInfo

Looks pretty nifty; kind of expensive, but really good reviews. Not even sure if I'd want to OC it though, would need to buy fan fans & thermal paste as well

Noctua's have the best noise to performance ratio. They also have the best mounting system IMO. However, that thing is only needed for beastly OCs. A hyper 212+ can be found for $20ish shipped and you can have the fan run silent at 800rpm or so and still cool an overclocked sandy bridge chip just fine.

I think that's the processor me and drogith have...You can unlock it to quad core, and it's one of the best amd cores to OC.

you're pissing away money if you don't get an SSD.

I think it's a bit overpriced currently; once it is lowered in price & increased in storage capacity, it'll be brillant. It's tempting regardless.

I think it's a bit overpriced currently; once it is lowered in price & increased in storage capacity, it'll be brillant. It's tempting regardless.

It's not. There's only two places you're going to bottleneck on a gaming computer, since we live in the future. HDD, and graphics. 8GB of memory vs 4GB is going to give you fuck and all in ME3, and your core i7 could be replaced with a core 2 duo and you'd never notice, but you go from SSD back to 7200RPM, or from a high-end graphics card to a 4250, and you're going to cry.

I'll admit, I didn't want my SSD at first due to the price. But it is awesome since it boots my OS in under 30 seconds and any game/program instantly.

It's not. There's only two places you're going to bottleneck on a gaming computer, since we live in the future. HDD, and graphics. 8GB of memory vs 4GB is going to give you fuck and all in ME3, and your core i7 could be replaced with a core 2 duo and you'd never notice, but you go from SSD back to 7200RPM, or from a high-end graphics card to a 4250, and you're going to cry.

Hah. Dead on.

NewEgg has a Kingston V+100 96gb for $99 with only a $10 MIR today. Honestly, when these things touch $1/gig, you've no right to complain.

I have a two year old computer that I use for everything: crunching datasets in Stata, playing FO3/LoL/NBA2k11, watching videos, etc. It has two graphics cards, 12 gigs of ram, and an i7 920 clocked to 4ghz. That said, the most apparent different in my system compared to other people's is the intel g2 80gb ssd I put in a couple months after I got the computer.

I think I paid $180-$220 for it two years ago. It was worth it then. At this price, it is a no frills or catches deal.

Guess I'll make sure to include one, probably 120gb~ one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139408 - sold out (looks like it was $120 after MIR)

I was thinking maybe this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-148-448&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

$1.7/gb though (however, 415mb/s read, 175mb/s write; not sure how good Crucial are for SDD, but seemed like a solid price for good reviews)

What's the difference between Sata II and Sata III

Freakzor's 'cheaper' build:

cheapoh.jpg

edit: As freak mentioned below, it should be the 1600 ram ($10 more)

If I go with this, I'd just put my current psu (550 corsair) into the new computer or buy a new one. Add another $200-250 for windows 7 & monitor and still under $1k. Wanted feedback.

I'll probably do another build for a little more, in terms of price (including a SSD probably)

was just a thought I went with that case cause I think there neat.. or course there a shit ton of options for that $ but once again alot left to opinion. I have to admit im not really a computer wiz, and noticed a fail already thought I had 1600 not 1333 in there +10 dollars :P

Guess I'll make sure to include one, probably 120gb~ one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139408 - sold out (looks like it was $120 after MIR)

I was thinking maybe this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-148-448&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

$1.7/gb though (however, 415mb/s read, 175mb/s write; not sure how good Crucial are for SDD, but seemed like a solid price for good reviews)

What's the difference between Sata II and Sata III

You want a SSD with a SandForce 2500 controller.

yeah, 60-120gb SSD, put all your apps on it, 500gb (or whatever you have lying around) secondary drive for all your videos/mp3s/whatever isnt i/o intensive.

Well,windows 7 64-bit is $80 today (w/ promo code), normally is $100. I don't know anyone who can give me the microsoft employee price (or for free) so I'll probably shoot the gun and buy that today. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL072811&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL072811-_-EMC-072811-Index-_-OperatingSystems-_-32116986-L0D

Also, an i5 (non k) is on sale today ($15 off), doubt I'll shoot the gun on that yet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115073&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL072811&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL072811-_-EMC-072811-Index-_-ProcessorsDesktops-_-19115073-L02D

K is unlocked for overclocking.

$80 for OS is as good as you are going to get without some student or corporate dealy.

And I just ordered this today.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352011

Been waiting forever. My GPUs have been getting louder as they do over time and my machine hasn't been 100% silent for the last month or two with the open case I'm using. Can't wait for pin-drop quietness again.