Sign in to follow this  
disco

Collateral Murder

Plenty of other reporters do just fine staying with the troops, you assume a big risk by going out on your own in an active warzone.

if you've read the past 9 pages, you'd know thats not what im disputing, at all.

whats funny is if i was shot, and i was carrying say a camera, half of you guys would light me up anyway. then defend it, here, for days after.

Actually, I bet almost everyone here would be ok with that if it happened.

Actually, I bet almost everyone here would be ok with that if it happened.

Strangely, I don't share your penchant for murdering people I disagree with. I just troll them instead.

Strangely, I don't share your penchant for murdering people I disagree with. I just troll them instead.

The difference here is night and day.

These reporters weren't murdered.

Even giving you every benefit of the doubt, the only person you could claim was murdered was the van driver. The rest were combatants without question. They were walking amongst active combatants carrying similar looking equipment.

Being murdered and stepping into an active warzone, where you happen to get shot, is a huge difference.

Murder, as defined in common law countries, is the unlawful killing of another human being with intent (or malice aforethought), and generally this state of mind distinguishes murder from other forms of unlawful homicide (such as manslaughter).

At least call it the right crime, manslaughter.

I was mostly completely ignoring the inane and pointless "I want you to die" bullshit. Sorry for ignoring it.

Bad wally, bad, naughty, and stuff. W/e, its pointless to say you want someone to die on the internet.

You can stop quoting me if you aren't quoting me btw. It's a bad habit to use quotes to paraphrase, it just causes problems later on.

i rather enjoy the inane threats. more entertaining.

as for your other points, they've already been discussed ad infinitum in the first 8 pages.

i rather enjoy the inane threats. more entertaining.

as for your other points, they've already been discussed ad infinitum in the first 8 pages.

Ok, so the thread is better about wishing death upon you?

Well this thread has run it's course.

Oh snaps I'm not a mod.

Who cares enough to close a thread here? Look around, there isn't that much activity, close a thread and that's like 1/10th of the posts :P

If what he says he's leaked before is true, he's done a great service to this country honestly. If I held a position like that, I'd leak virtually every file I could touch.

If what he says he's leaked before is true, he's done a great service to this country honestly. If I held a position like that, I'd leak virtually every file I could touch.

This. I'm all for the citizens finding out things the government doesn't want them to know, especially when it comes to military mal-action. Too many people in this country have a stupified admiration of war and think our troops are godlike creatures beyond reproach. I don't mean to insult you Cat, I only mean to say that more truth in the public mind results in a better public mind.

There's a reason information is labeled as Classified, or even Sensitive. I'm all about getting the "full story" out, too, but leaking classified information doesn't make people better voters or more informed citizens. Most classified information is actually meaningless to the average person, but incredibly valuable to those that would like to hurt us.

Only in the minds of people that watch too many movies is classified information actually "cool" or instrumental in bringing down corrupt governmental officials.

If you've ever had to handle or use Classified information, you would know this. But maybe there's a reason neither of you will never be allowed to do so.

No offense taken, disco. As a Soldier, I can tell you that we are not at all beyond reproach. There's lots wrong with a lot of people in the military. Fortunately, there's lots right, too.

There's a reason information is labeled as Classified, or even Sensitive. I'm all about getting the "full story" out, too, but leaking classified information doesn't make people better voters or more informed citizens. Most classified information is actually meaningless to the average person, but incredibly valuable to those that would like to hurt us.

Only in the minds of people that watch too many movies is classified information actually "cool" or instrumental in bringing down corrupt governmental officials.

If you've ever had to handle or use Classified information, you would know this. But maybe there's a reason neither of you will never be allowed to do so.

I am referring to the other documents he leaked, such as that fantastic assessment by the CIA on german war tolerance ("they'll forget they're there if troops don't die") among other things. This video was better before wikileaks edited it down, but I can't see why it shouldn't have been released.

No offense taken, disco. As a Soldier, I can tell you that we are not at all beyond reproach. There's lots wrong with a lot of people in the military. Fortunately, there's lots right, too.

Agreed. They go in human, and they remain human :) Good to hear.

This will be very interesting to see how this all plays out. Good read there from wired.

Yes, the investigation is going to be a lot bigger than just this guy that released the information. I would imagine that the officer that gave him the Article 15 will also be investigated. I have no idea why his clearance was not revoked after being punished like that. That is almost SOP for that kind of thing. And that's just the start.

Something this big could drastically change the way classified information is handled in a deployed environment. When I was in AFG, I used the SIPRnet (as mentioned in the article) every single day. Right next to me was my personal laptop that I used to surf the internet or play games when I was on lunch or whatever. (Heh, anyone that read what I was writing on this site was figuratively one foot away from a huge repository of classified information!) Seeing that situation in retrospect, it is incredibly easy to see how to get classified information spillage from one network to another.