Sign in to follow this  
mrln

BF3 - Budget Computer

Hey guys, I preordered BF3 a few months ago thinking I would've already built a new machine by now, but I haven't and I don't think my little overclocked e5200 with a 512mb 9800GT is going to be able to run it. So I'd appreciate some input on a budget upgrade. I'm pretty positive I want to get an i5, but I'm not certain about a budget video card. I have been happy with this 9800GT and for almost 5 years it has run everything well. Any input is appreciated.

EVGA P67 SLI Micro 120-SB-E672-KR LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - $149.99

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K - $219.99

COOLER MASTER Hyper TX3 RR-910-HTX3-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" 92mm CPU Cooler - $25.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL - $51.99

Total so far is $447.96 which is pretty close to my budget and I haven't even got a Vid card or a drive yet. Are the days of $500 gaming machines over? :(

You're probably right about the chip cost. What about using my 9800GT for awhile and then buying a better video card down the road. At least then I'd have the i5 which should last longer than the i3 in terms of keeping up with software?

I've heard quite a few people saying that BF3 in particular really benefits from a quad core or better and that the hyperthreading on an i3 is somehow not taken advantage of by that particular game.

Your 9800gt is going to choke you down to lower settings, though.

Crazy (but not shocking) how Intel jacked up their prices since Bulldozer is a performance bust. :(

Off-topic: You're going to end up with a new computer before me (if Diablo 3 wasn't delayed till next year, I'd be making one right about now).

Regardless, enjoy :0

edit: Oh wow, currently - a lot of graphics cards (all nvidia's) are coming with Batman: Arkham City

If you get an i5 and a 560ti youll be able to play BF3 on high around 40-50fps. I have an i5+2 560ti and I can run on Ultra from 30-50fps(drops to 20 if there is a ton of destruction) or 60+ on high.

If you get an i5 and a 560ti youll be able to play BF3 on high around 40-50fps. I have an i5+2 560ti and I can run on Ultra from 30-50fps(drops to 20 if there is a ton of destruction) or 60+ on high.

those 2 things are over his budget

this is based off a MaximumPC build

subtotal $524

not sure about video card, 6790 > 6850?

maybe mess with a few components to squeeze in a small SSD. The Z68 chipset has a nice SSD caching feature (Smart Response Technology)

Intel Core i5-2320 Sandy Bridge 3.0GHz (3.3GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115091

SAPPHIRE 100316L Radeon HD 6790 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102931

Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182199

Patriot 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model PSD34G1333K

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220537

GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128502

The controller has had troubles in the past, but Sandforce has worked diligently on updating the firmware for it.

So, as long as you are comfortable updating the drive's firmware (and Corsair has made it incredibly easy), I'd say buy the drive today, as that price won't be replicated anytime soon. Corsair is trying to shake some bad publicity from the aforementioned troubles. Their drives are really fast, and their customer service is top knotch.

I actually bought the Force GT 120gb for $150 last week, so I'm not only an advocate, I'm an owner.

TL;DR - Buy that drive if you want an SSD. You'd have to wait until Black Friday for anything else comparable in speed and size, and even then, no guarantees.

If you are on a budget you are better off not going with a SSD for now. Use that money to get a better GPU/CPU. I love my SSD since it is noticeably faster, however if I was to choose between a $50-$100 difference in GPU's I would go with the GPU. I keep windows and my core programs on my SSD(around 50gb total out of 120gb) and then keep 1 game on it(currently BF3) as well. My other games on my HDD do load a bit slower but it doesn't matter that much.

For example on World of Tanks, while it was on my SSD entering/loading a map I would be first into the match(loaded in about 2 seconds). On my HDD I would be anywhere from 2-8 and it would take around 5 seconds. So it does help but it isn't that important.

I know this is somewhat off topic, but how do I install my OS on a SDD? What's the process so that I don't lose everything? Or do you recommend uninstalling Windows and doing a fresh install on the SSD?

EDIT: That is sold out now.

I know this is somewhat off topic, but how do I install my OS on a SDD? What's the process so that I don't lose everything? Or do you recommend uninstalling Windows and doing a fresh install on the SSD?

EDIT: That is sold out now.

You don't have to format your old hard drive to install a fresh copy of windows on a new hard drive. You should be able to use your second hd afterwards.

can the radeon 4870 play it?

Stolen

v64bW.png

Mine works great on High though (1600 x 900 :( )