Sign in to follow this  
mrln

SOPA Live Hearing

Ok, the US LoL SOPA thread is a lot more epic than the EU one ;)

I'm sure its just one of the guy's staffers who got assigned to post/read, but I'm glad he still has enough time to game occasionally. There's a post from Zileas much later on where he talks about meeting the rep in person on a plane trip.

As a weak attempt to look cool, I met Zileas in person too :P

Laugh. Somehow that does not surprise me.

Other first impressions - Phreak is pretty cool. He's quick witted and humorous.

Ymir is kind of like a slightly watered-down version of his forum personality - bit slower, and less confident, but still pleasant enough.

I'm sure I met other random Riot names, but most of them didn't really stick. Talked to Morello a fair bit on the phone, but he's probably the one that turned me down, so I'm going to reserve the right to hate him. He didn't actually say/do anything particularly evil when I talked to him, but that's still my best guess.

I got SOPA'd at work... I wonder if that will become a new term...

Anyway, we updated to windows 7 on all the systems with the new security protocols. I can't even update my adobe plug-in for FF, let alone I almost couldn't install it. So now there is not youtube, no twitch.tv, nothing with any type of AV quality.

Seems like the people on Facebook/Twitter that I know are finally aware of what this is judging by all the complaining today.

Converstaion at work:

2 coworkers: Whats up with Google being blacked out and Wikipedia having the words up about that sopa/pipa thing?

me: Did you read about it?

2 coworkers: No, I just got frustrated and closed my browser.

me: *RAGE*

Converstaion at work:

2 coworkers: Whats up with Google being blacked out and Wikipedia having the words up about that sopa/pipa thing?

me: Did you read about it?

2 coworkers: No, I just got frustrated and closed my browser.

me: *RAGE*

This was my day pretty much as well. People are too lazy to actually read it, they'd rather just close it and hope it's different the next time they open their browser.

Those people will be the same ones if these bills pass that will hear about it on the news and say, "How could something like this be passed? How come nobody tried to warn us about it?"

I'm surprised by how little I hear arguments regarding the slippery slope. I mean, I understand it's a really simple and basic arguments to make, but it's so applicable in this case. Besides stifling innovation and restricting access to legitimate internet uses, for once you guys finally have a rational reason to just point to China and say "Is that what you want?". Almost complete government control on access to internet access is a very real possibility. Your government has demonstrated a willingness to curtail individual freedoms, why would you assume they would behave any differently if you gave them the power?

The venerable ACM has published its opinion on SOPA/PIPA, "concluding that the bills’ approach to disrupting rogue sites by removing them from indexing and search sites will prove problematic and ineffective".

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/20/us-usa-congress-internet-idUSTRE80J10X20120120

WASHINGTON | Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:01pm EST

(Reuters) - Lawmakers on Friday indefinitely postponed anti-piracy legislation that pits Hollywood against Silicon Valley, two days after major Internet companies staged an online protest by blacking out parts of prominent websites.

Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid postponed a showdown vote in his chamber on the Protect Intellectual Property Act, or PIPA for short, that had been scheduled for January 24.

Lamar Smith, the Republican chairman of the House of Representatives Judiciary Committee, followed suit, saying his panel would delay action on similar legislation called the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA, until there is wider agreement on the legislation.

"It is clear that we need to revisit the approach on how best to address the problem of foreign thieves that steal and sell American inventions and products," Smith said in a statement.

The bills are aimed at curbing access to overseas websites that traffic in pirated content and counterfeit products, such as movies and music. But support for the legislation has eroded in recent days because of fears that legitimate websites could end up in legal jeopardy.

The entertainment industry wants legislation to protect its movies and music from counterfeiters, but technology companies are concerned the laws would undermine Internet freedoms, be difficult to enforce and encourage frivolous lawsuits.

On Wednesday protests blanketed the Internet, turning Wikipedia and other popular websites dark for 24 hours. Google, Facebook, Twitter and others protested the proposed legislation but did not shut down.

In a brief statement, Reid said there was no reason why concerns about the legislation cannot be resolved. He offered no new date for the vote.

Reid's action comes a day after a senior Democratic aide, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said the measure lacked the 60 votes needed to clear a procedural hurdle in the 100-member Senate.

A handful of senators who had co-sponsored the legislation dropped their support after Wednesday's protests started.

Reid expressed hope on Friday that Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, who has been shepherding the bill through Congress, could help resolve differences in the legislation.

"I am optimistic that we can reach a compromise in the coming weeks," Reid said.

Leahy said in a statement that he was committed to addressing online piracy and hoped other members of Congress would work with him to get a bill signed into law this year.

"But the day will come when the Senators who forced this move will look back and realize they made a knee-jerk reaction to a monumental problem," he said.

"Criminals who do nothing but peddle in counterfeit products and stolen American content are smugly watching how the United States Senate decided it was not even worth debating how to stop the overseas criminals from draining our economy," Leahy said.

(Reporting By Thomas Ferraro and Jasmin Melvin; Editing by Bill Trott, Dave Zimmerman)

I think that the Senate should be more concerned with countries stealing our stealth technology then our movies. I'd be more afraid of Iran launching a stealthed missile (developed using our drone technology) into Israel then them watching a pirated copy of Bonanza season 2.