Sign in to follow this  
Keltar ™

Best upgrade option

Sup gamers!

So with SWTOR coming up, I've been thinking that it might be time to do a small upgrade to make this computer last longer since it still has potential imo.

Motherboard: EP35-DS3L Gigabyte

Video card: GTS 250

Processor: Intel Core Duo CPU E8400 @ 3GHZ

RAM: 2x2GB RAM (cant remember the speed)

Hard Drive: WD Caviar 320GB

Is it as simple as getting a new vid card? Or do I want more RAM? Or is the HD slowing me down at that point? I use an external 1TB for music/extra storage.

I don't know if you really need to upgrade for SWTOR. I'd wait until the game comes out; at that point you can assess any struggles at your resolution.

If you HAD to do it today and had money for 1 component, I'd go GPU. Can OC the cpu if it is throttling a new GPU.

My wife has the same setup except for a slightly weaker GPU. She said it was choppy a bit for her. I didn't seem to have any real issues personally.

So the wait and see option may not be too bad... I'll just tune down her settings if need be... she's used to WoW graphics anyways!

If we're talking pure performance, between the GTX 550 Ti and the HD 6770? It seems like I can get the 6770 for about 100$ here, whereas the GTX 550 Ti would be 120 after MIR.

Pisses me off... I originally went with the GTX 550 Ti because it had no shipping fee but they somehow cancelled the order because VISA deemed it an odd transaction. Now shipping isn't free. ­:'(

Hey it's been almost a year since I've put money on the computers! Actually, since this post I changed my front fan for a cool yet dirt cheap fan which makes no freaking noise. Now my computers are extremely quiet AND keep cool.

So now that my setup is...

Motherboard: EP35-DS3L Gigabyte

Video card: GTS 250 HD6870

Processor: Intel Core Duo CPU E8400 @ 3GHZ

RAM: 2x2GB RAM (cant remember the speed)

Hard Drive: WD Caviar 320GB

According to Windows 7, my score is:

Processor: 6.5

Memory (RAM): 6.8

Graphics: 7.8

Gaming graphics: 7.8

Primary hard disk: 5.9

My personal thought was that 2x2GB can be upgraded for really cheap since afaik there's two more slots left on the motherboard. So I could get some really decent ram sticks, which could be used later on when I change my motherboard/processor. I know it'd be overkill for the computer, but would it still do a big difference?

And last but not least; judging from the score I need to get a better HD. That screams SSD, which is anything but cheap specially if you like having many games installed. Quick glance at my motherboard, it has SATA II on it. So if I get SATA III it'd only be good for the future... specially since it seems to be the same price anyways, right? 128GB for 109.99$ considering that should fit my OS and probably a few games like GW2 and whatever shooter I play at the time.

Or I could just write off 150$ per PC, because whatever upgrade I do on mine I'll have to do on my wife, and call it quits until I decide to upgrade my mobo/processor which will benefit from all these upgrades in the future anyways.

Thoughts, shizzes?

Rezzing this thread, because well we are two years later and it seems like an upgrade is going to be needed to survive games like Watch Dogs and LoTR's RPG.

The one change is that I do have a 128gb SSD that runs Windows 7 64 bit.

I was thinking of doing a motherboard/processor/RAM upgrade, since my graphic card isn't too bad.

Has AMD taken back the market, or is it still mostly an Intel world? I'm looking to spend around 400$. Keep in mind I have two computers to upgrade (Wife's and mine) so that's 800$ total budget. I could push it to 1000$ if it is worth the investment.

Well shit. For the first time since I've built my current comp, I've ran into compatibility issues. No DX11 on my 4870.

Ugh.

Actually just the AMD CPU.  They're pretty cheap for what you get.  Intel has the better technology and would be a bit more future proof, but is pretty pricey at the moment.  If your goal is low cost, invest a little more into the GPU and skimp on the CPU since it doesn't make as much of a difference for gaming.

Graphics cards are hard to nail down.  AMD has mantle in the works, but not too many games support it at the moment.  The ones that do have shown 10-20 fps improvement on AMD cards that are designed to work with mantle.  The new generation of Nvidia cards have much lower power consumption.  I would say the R9 280X or GTX 970 are solid choices at the moment.  

I watch Tek Syndicate and they just did a $750 build video.  They explain the price/performance a bit better than I can.  https://teksyndicate.com/videos/build-best-750-gaming-pc-dec-2014  The prices have already changed from what they reviewed.

Cool thank you sir. I'll consider an AMD based CPU build then. I've been using that since my first build, and it has not done any harm.

I'm thinking I can carry over the below items from my current build:

Hard Drive

SSD

Power Supply (Shouldn't be a problem at is 650w.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015)

Case (On the fence here. My current case doesn't have USB 3.0 in the front, which is something I'd like to have.)

New Optical Drive

Current build list.

Take a look at my new build. It's not purchased yet, but I love to see if you have any suggestions. I last built a machine in 2009. It's time to upgrade, as I'm running into performance problems with my ddr2 (4gb) and Radeon HD 4870 video card. There are a few parts that aren't listed as I'll be cannibalizing those from my original build. *Those are below as well.* I'd like to hear if I'm missing something obvious, or if I should add anything new. Ideally, I'd like to keep this at $600, but I can look at a $700 if it's a huge difference. Thanks!

Cannibalized Parts  
**Power Supply** [Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power](http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015)  
**Monitor** [Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD](http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009145)
**SSD** [OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB](http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227726)  
**Hard Drive** [WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM](http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0088PUEPK/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item)  

Love it. Quick and quiet.

THe GPU is probably a bit more than I needed, but all of the games are running smoothly.

I also want to get another case fan, but I can't seem to find another port on motherboard for an additional fan.

You should be looking for another connection to your PSU, not the mobo for a case fan.  They sell splitters so you can hook up 2 fans to a single connector.