Sign in to follow this  
disco

Tablets

I am thinking about getting the kindle Fire HD ($199) when it comes out. Primarily, my use for the tablet will be for class - instead of printing 50 pages from a PDF, I can just open the PDF on my kindle while sitting in class and refer to things. I believe, and tell me if I'm wrong, that note-taking is built into tablets (including the Kindle) and so I could highlight passages / bookmark them for later use.

I would not be using it on cellular networks, I would be perfectly fine using it solely through my wifi at home to load and unload books. I will not be sitting at my favorite local coffee shop wearing skinny jeans and sporting 10 days worth of semi-beard while wearing thick-rimmed glasses and listening to depressing indie music.

Obv the Fire HD isn't out yet (i think its due out the 14th), but barring a slew of horrible reviews I'm probably going to try for it this week. Unless someone talks me out of it.

The main attraction of the Kindle for me is the price. I can afford $200 on a tablet, especially since I have a $150 amazon gift certificate (two years worth of spare change converted at the coin machine ftw). I don't want to pay $500 for an ipad. The galaxy 10.1 looks sexy, but is also twice as expensive.

Any thoughts about Kindles in general, love/hate relationships, "zomg you are moron and should buy this other tablet instead!"?

I like mine for reading, lite browsing, and IMBD. The music app is decent, and syncs well with Amazon Cloud. I used EverNote a lot on my vacation this past summer.

All that said, it is very limiting in making it "yours". Can't change any of the stock options. I get a lot of odd errors with their settings screen, and the charging port is finicky.

For $200, it is a fun toy. If I was looking at a new tablet, I would get the Google Nexus which is the same price as the Kindle Fire.

I am looking at the nexus 7 as well, i should have added that in the OP. the only downside is that i can't buy it through amazon - nexus is direct from google for $200, so amazon only hosts resellers who jack it up to ~$250 - but I will probably use that amazon gift card for christmas presents anyway, easily.

Why Nexus? More adaptability, more pure android? I heard that Fire HD is going to limit you to amazon's preferred ecosystem, including blocking non-approved 3rd party apps and not even allowing access to google play.

More pure Android and will be supported. Aps that have been on android for months are normally delayed by months and sometimes not even available on the Fire.

As of now, Fire does not have access to Google Play unless you hack/mod/flash/root it.

Don't get me wrong, the Fire is a good tablet for someone that is happy with stock everything and the basics.

I haven't used one for an extended time, so I can't talk about their use for an extended time.

----To your point, you have amazon cash waiting to be spent. Do you buy yourself a present now with those gift cards or do you wait to buy a present for someone else later on with those gift cards?

----Also - I believe, unless it is super rumors, that Apply is releasing a slightly cheaper and smaller version of the iPad soon. Again, I haven't looked into it though.

I was actually looking into the FireHD myself simply because I have the Amazon Prime account (since it is only $40 if you still have your student email address). Figure I can watch the Prime free videos and read the free books on it as well. I did read that they are trying to make more and more of the text books into kindle version that might be a huge plus if your in school. Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is about tables, they are fun media devices but if you need to do real work on it it is cumbersome. Give me a mouse and a keyboard any day. Can you imagine having to type out a report on a tablet? *shudders*

I have no intention of typing reports, only reading e-books / pdfs, making marks and saving certain passages, etc. As I said its main value is that I don't have to print 50 pages a week to take to class. I am in school, and do still have amazon prime - in fact I got it before they charged you for being a student ... first year was free.

The thing about kindle and amazon prime is that there is a kindle app for android. So I can have access to all my amazon prime content via the nexus. It doesn't require the amazon tablet.

Re: gift card. It's not really a deal-breaker, because I'm 100% certain I'll use the money probably by Christmas at the latest, but it is something I'd prefer.

I don't want apple, I prefer android.

I never thought I would enjoy touchscreen OS and then I got an iPod touch 4g. I LOVE it, but I just don't know if a tablet is going to offer any significant advantages over what I already have. My current tech is my gaming desktop (AMD 3.0 ghz x4, 4870 gfx), a netbook (1.6 ghz x2), and the jailbroken iPod touch. I can't get into iOS gaming at all, and the Touch seems like enough to me for couch surfing. In my limited experience with an iPad, typing is actually harder than on the iPod...

The price is definitely right on the Nexus 7 though and I am starting to see the iPad 2 Wifi selling for ~$300-325 used. Seems like a very sexy tablet for daily driving

I have no intention of typing reports, only reading e-books / pdfs, making marks and saving certain passages, etc.

It was a rhetorical question ...

The thing about kindle and amazon prime is that there is a kindle app for android. So I can have access to all my amazon prime content via the nexus. It doesn't require the amazon tablet.

True, however, I wasn't stating that you couldn't read kindle ebooks on an android device. What I was saying is that for someone that uses the Prime perks (instant videos, free books) it is an added incentive to go with the Fire versus the Nexus. You can't borrow the free books using the kindle app nor is there an app to access the Prime Instant videos (at least not that I am aware of).

Sorry, I didn't mean to argue.

A googling reveals that instant video is possible on the nexus. All you need to do is install flash and use a flash-capable browser. Prime books I don't know about.

But I've had Prime for almost 3 years now and I haven't used any of the streaming / books stuff ... so even if it didn't work, I don't think I'd be heartbroken.

In that case I think the Nexus would have more flexibility and a less limiting app library to use so it might be a better fit. I am sure that the Fire will be similar to the iPad in that it is designed to be more proprietary.

I agree, I am leaning toward the nexus now. I'm still going to wait until Friday for the reviews, because almost all of them will be comparing the Fire HD to the Nexus 7, just in case there's something in the Fire HD which doesn't show up in specs.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/11/amazon-kindle-fire-hd-review-7-inch/

Welp, apparently a bunch of reviews finished today. Consensus seems to be that it is comparable to the nexus in most ways, the screen is similar, but that amazon's modifications of android make it less appealing to power users (and have some performance issues). The wifi is better, and the HDMI output is very good, but otherwise they're fairly similar. The review I linked above said they still like the nexus better, but only barely.

Ordering a nexus in the next couple of days, I kinda want to see if Google is going to do a surprise price drop on the nexus 7 on / soon after Friday to take the oomph out of the Fire HD's release.

I still plan to get the FireHD myself ;). I grabbed a TouchPad when they liquidated the stock so I am pretty good tablet wise but would like one for the kiddo so she can read and watch her cartoons.

I want a nexus 10.

Also I'm wondering if Microsoft tablets will be any good. Still time for me to figure out what tablet I want.

meh I refuse to buy any Apple product ...

Laptops are great. I've never had a better laptop than my macbook air.

For tablets, phones, and pcs, well -- its all preference at that point.

That is true MoP, mainly I just hate iTunes more than anything. Seen too many friends get burned by having a family member charge their phone or iTouch on their PC and having it sync their info thus deleting all their mp4, pics, movies, ect.

Apparently the nexus 10, although not yet announced, is expected to come out by Christmas and cost $300 for 16gb - aka $50 more than the 16gb nexus 7. I might wait until then and get it as a christmas / birthday present.