Sign in to follow this  
Shiv

Give me your anime suggestions!!

So anyway, never been that much into anime other than Robotech and Macross when i was a kid and a few movies as an adult: (appleseed/akira/ghost in the shell). Recently finished the Avatar: last airbender Saga, and while I'm planning on watching Avatar: Legend of Korra, i thought i'd have a look at a few Japanese Anime shows.

Unfortunately now i have the bug, first had a look at Sword Art Online: and wow the nostalgia playing MMO's and especially the Hack games/Dofus and a touch WOW.

Then moved onto Accel world (also awesome)

Sekirei (Harem type with superpowers but fairly funny with mild nudity)

Full Metal alchemist (starting to chew through this, and enjoying it)

Next on watchlist

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Guilty Crown

Miraj Nikki.

So i thought I'd try and tap you guys and get some more suggestions.

thanks in advance!!

Shiv

I tried watching Fist of the North Star and hated it. Probably just hasn't aged well. Akira, on the other hand, is as incredible now as ever.

Good series off the top of my head:

Cowboy Bebop

Deathnote (season 1 only)

Black Lagoon

Afro Samurai

Samurai Champloo

Red Line (movie)

Dead Leaves (movie)

FLCL (weird)

Deadman Wonderland

It was never good. It's just hugely silly and one of those genre milestones from long ago.

The countdown while someone gets ready to explode with the guy walking away "You are already dead." are great :)

+1 to Black Lagoon, Cowboy Beebop, Samurai Champloo and Death Note.

Also, Darker than BLACK, Full Metal Panic and Code Geass (although it had a messy season 1 ending and weird story-line mid season 2, it's my favorite series). Gundam 00 is my favorite Gundam series (I really liked the SEED series too). Elfen Lied just for the song (and see how much blood you can stand). Hellsing too; the OVAs are better but the series is fine.

For movies, the EVANGELION remakes.

I hope you know that FMA:Brotherhood follows the manga, from which the original FMA anime separates at like episode 25, so you'll be seeing again a lot of things (although with differences) up until around that episode, which then proceeds to vary drastically. Personally I prefer the manga (and therefore Brotherhood), but the anime original is good too.

good to know about brotherhood.

Yup saw akira ach a classic.

Had added Code Geass and Cowboy Bebop to watch list

will check out the other suggestions

cheers.

Guilty Crown hands down my favorite all time.

And I watch ALOT of anime, and with alot i mean i download several new series a week EVERY week. And i wholeheartedly recommend it so let me know what you thought of it.

As for new recommendations *opens up anime folder*

For mecha i thought Fafner and Infinite Stratos were pretty good. And Eureka Seven + Eureka Seven Ao

ZegaPain <- ton of matrix kind of mind fckery i loved it

Gigantic Formula

AKB0048

Supernatural kinda stuff:

Ao Exorcist

Another

Black Rock Shooter <- only 8 eps but one hell of a trip.

Mirai Nikki <- some seriously ffed up shyt XD suggest watching the BluRay version

Angel Beats is prolly another top contestant for an awesome anime xD

Steins;Gate

Fate/Zero and the prequel Fate/StayNight

I can think of prolly a few dozen more that i enjoyed but these are quite a few memorable ones. XD Feel free to hit me up for another ton of suggestions tho ill prolly never run out. Im also a major seeder and power user at BakaBT so check that out for some really good series that arent licensed yet.

I gave Guilty Crown a try. It is the quintessential example of an anime I would hate.

Johnny Everyschoolboy the protagonist has never really fit in, he's just different from other people and doesn't do well socially and is shy around girls. Meanwhile, dystopian authoritarian government chases an inexplicably half-dressed and attractive girl after she steals their top secret weapon. Boy encounters girl, is awkward around her, then overcomes awkwardness to save her life. Then he accidentally gains incredible but mysterious power. Throw in ass and titty fan service closeups, a super badass mentor type, and a few more ham-handed genre tropes and I've seen more than enough after the first episode.

Sorry to be so harsh, but I had high hopes for it after the recommendation. I guess we just have radically different tastes. I know mine don't line up with a lot of peoples'. I can't stand Evangelion, for example.

I haven't seen Guilty Crown, but to be fair MZ, there are a lot of directions a show can go after that (admittedly cliche) opening. I try to at least watch 2 or 3 episodes of something before deciding whether I like it or not.

Then again, even if it does go down that road, it can still be executed well and an entertaining watch even if it isn't particularly deep or original.

The countdown while someone gets ready to explode with the guy walking away "You are already dead." are great :)/>

Yes!!! This ...

Guilty Crown had some innovations as far as anime technology went, but it was mostly shit.

Watch Code Geass instead. It was written by Okouchi Ichiro, who is leagues better than Hiroyuki, who wrote Guilty Crown.

If you want non cliche weird anime, you can always go with:

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (season 2 is crap)

Lucky Star

I can give you some more suggestions when I get home, but off the top of my head:

Tytania

Gundam Wing/Seed/00

Claymore

Berserk

Blame!

Ghost in the Shell

Bacano

I recently started to watch a bit more anime since Toonami finally returned.

I've finished both Eureka Seven and Eureka Seven Ao. Really enjoyed both of them(first one is awesome once the story picks up).

Cowboy Bebop I re watched since I own the collection.

Already have seen the Fullmetal Alchemist series(both the first botched attempt and Brotherhood)

Deadman Wonderland I liked but it was to short imo.

Samurai Seven was a nice one to watch on Toonami.

Basically I am looking for another anime to start up either that is available online(I canceled netflix) or isn't to expensive on DVD/Blu ray(under $30).

Any suggestions? Evangelion looked interesting as well as Claymore. I've seen the first season of Code Gaess already along with all of the Ghost in Shells and anything else that was on Adult Swim/Toonami although Tri Gun I never watched in completely.

As you can see by what I have seen the mech anime is certainly something that is interesting(saw Gundamns as well) but also something with a good story is a must and not just endless stupid fighting.

Evangelion is something you should probably watch just because its something that everyone should see at some point, but if you go in hoping for a good, strong main character to whom you can relate you will end up sorely disappointed.

Claymore was interesting, definitely worth watching.

If you haven't seen Gurren Lagaan that should be at the top of your list.

TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN! Yeah that series was... special. I like how they scaled stuff. Any mecha fan should watch that series.

You should finish Code Geass. Also wait for the "Rebuild of Evangelion" to finish and watch that instead of the original series. Just 1 more movie to go (should be released this year).

I considered Gundam Seed a good story, and Gundam 00 was really good.

Finally, FULL METAL PANIC! Don't miss it.

Lot of titles in this thread I need to check out.

I just started watching anime again in December after an 8+ year break. Someone linked me Sword Art and that lead me to start watching again.

So far I've caught up / completed in the last two months:

Fate/Zero

Hunter x Hunter (watching new episodes every Saturday)

Sword Art Online

BTOOOOM!

I also recently started:

One Piece (So many episodes...)

Accel World

Fairy Tail

I grabbed a Crunchyroll membership and have been flipping around between that, Netflix, Hulu and a streaming site for Fairy Tail episodes to watch them.

Seed is like a remake of the original UC Gundam, 00 is like a remake of Wing.

I would suggest the old UC Gundam 79, followed by 0080, 08th MS Team,Gundam 0083, Zeta Gundam, ZZ Gundam and Char's counter attack.

Old school gundam.

Seed is like a remake of the original UC Gundam, 00 is like a remake of Wing.

I would suggest the old UC Gundam 79, followed by 0080, 08th MS Team,Gundam 0083, Zeta Gundam, ZZ Gundam and Char's counter attack.

Old school gundam.

I don't know about UC... but can you explain how 00 is a remake of Wing? I own both and have watched both more than once... but I'm failing to see the similarity aside from the main Gundam.

I haven't seen either, but a quick look at Wikipedia:

After a sneak preview of Gundam 00 on September 1, 2007, Anime News Network remarked "striking parallels" between the series and an earlier installment of the metaseries, Mobile Suit Gundam Wing (1995): "Like Gundam Wing, Gundam 00's main story begins with hyper-powerful Gundam units appearing at various locales to execute slightly-less-than-Dynasty-Warriors-level mayhem in synchronized phases of a paramilitary operation."

Maybe that's what he's talking about?