Sign in to follow this  
DrPoon

New Samsung Chromebook

I came home from class tonight and my sister surprised me with a brand new Samsung Chromebook. Excitedly, my first notion is to download everything I have on my desktop with the perks of being able to link and remote with my cell phone, pc, etc. I was pretty surprised when I found out that this laptop was a browser only system which does not support client software, only "apps". My surprise could be taken for ignorance since I've only used Windows/PC os my whole life.

So I'm reading and learning about it. The "Getting Started" manual is basically a multi-page instruction on how to turn it off/on. I'd like to know what you guys think about it. Anyone have one? If so, is there anything I should know that isn't the first thing you see through a google search?

It is very different.  Be prepared to be completely useless (to an extent) without a wifi connection.  If you'll have wifi you'll be fine.  If you want to play games, I'd recommend saving kongregate to your favorites.

Could you explain how it's different? 

Every video I've seen of it looks exactly like the chrome browser, and is used just like a web browser plus the few extra tabs do stuff offline. 

I was gonna start a new topic but I saw this one so what the hey. Just bought the $250 Samsung Chromebook, and wanted to make the observation that it's great. I've been wanting to buy a cheap laptop for 3 or 4 years and never could justify the costs with the capabilities, but this tears out all the fluff so it's cheap and yet still extremely useful.

Obviously there's lots of online apps for things these days, but possibly the coolest is a Google remote desktop app that runs through the web browser, so if there was something you really needed on your main computer, you can still get to it through the Chromebook. If I happen to be somewhere without wifi, I can tether my smartphone for temporary measure. The only downside is no real video games, which is actually nice because I play very little games anymore so it removes one whole distraction while I'm using this.

Also my favorite shortcut after less than a week of owning it is definitely Ctrl + alt + ?. Love that screen.

That's cool to hear, I'm glad it works well -- does it seem faster than a Android device for normal browser usage? Thought I guess it's apples and oranges because an Android device with a keyboard will cost quite a bit more. 

Only Android devices I've used were phones, so I don't know if tablets are much better. But yeah it feels pretty fast, haven't noticed slowdowns on anything yet really. Probably helps that it's doing pretty much nothing else in the background.