Tender Peaches

The Point of Contention Thread

What are your usual availabilities for the timeslots below? (all times EST)  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Weekdays Evenings : 7PM - 10PM (excluding Fridays)

• Generally available
    • Depends on the day
    • Generally unavailable
  2. 2. Saturday Mornings : 10AM - Noon

• Generally available
    • Sometimes available
    • Generally unavailable
  3. 3. Saturday Evenings : 8PM - 10PM

• Generally available
    • Sometimes available
    • Generally unavailable
  4. 4. Sunday Mornings : 10AM - Noon

• Generally available
    • Sometimes available
    • Generally unavailable
  5. 5. Sunday Nights : 8PM - 10PM

• Generally available
    • Sometimes available
    • Generally unavailable

How about changing "mediocre" with "bad" and "poor" with "worst", to keep with the general line of word choice.

Can't firepower be misleading? In the sense that although tacticians have average firepower, they could be the best damage dealers when compared with squad size. This can be specified in definitions or tips though.

As for tips, Pendarr's old guide's part of edu and clout roles can be adapted: http://www.sg-city.com/smf/index.php?topic=10274.0

For advanced tips, if someone can get a hold of Argo's SG Guide (I know he has them in the haven forums, if they still even exist), I remember reading quite some interesting things there.

I'm a maybe for that session (hopefully a yes), but I could be available for testing boring stuff since I'll have a small vacation from work in next two weeks.

How about changing "mediocre" with "bad" and "poor" with "worst", to keep with the general line of word choice.

Oh god, there's no way I'm tinkering with the formatting again. These may be better options but that was seriously one of the most boring things in the entire project.

Can't firepower be misleading? In the sense that although tacticians have average firepower, they could be the best damage dealers when compared with squad size. This can be specified in definitions or tips though.

In the same line of thought, Elitist would be Poor across the board, which would really say nothing about the Elitist except from how shitty a class it is. While that may accurately represent how the Elitist/Tacticians perform in a real battle, it doesn't achieve our goal of picturing each class' general characteristics. What makes the Technologist special is that its units have the best weaponry, thus they have the best Firepower stat.

Thanks for the links, I'll skim them over and pick out the relevant stuff.

We need a new map for Beta, because 5 pocs is too much for a 7v7. I don't know if it'll be rolled out in time for Sunday's session, it'll depend on the time it takes to finish the remaining features. That said, the final design hasn't been picked yet. Keep in mind the map is something that can change every other patch so any good idea can be experienced at one point.

Using my unmatchable Paint skills I came up with two 3-poc designs. I'd appreciate some input in case they're not as balanced as I seem to think. Pocs are black circles, portals are represented by colored circles. Dark background means high ground - the darker the higher. Black lines are impassable terrain (cliffs usually), grey lines are ramps.

Design 1 :

5XfnC.jpg

C2 home poc for Blue, C4 home poc for Red, C3 is where the main action is. Home pocs are more easily defended through the middle portals. Side portals have much faster access to C3. I'm not so sure that the ramps at B4 and D2 are a good idea, since they make E5 and A1 weak portals respectively. Energy sources could be anywhere really.

Design 2 :

5Xfo4.jpg

Home pocs are B4/D2, with the main contested poc at D4. C5/E3 have the best access for D4, home pocs can be defended by either of the two other portals. A5/E1 are pretty shitty though, considering A3/C1 are pretty much the same distance from the home pocs. That could be fixed by adding a ramp to the lower grounds at B5/E2, giving the A5/E1 portals an alternate route to D4 that doesn't run through the bloodbath at C3.

Thoughts? Other map ideas?

There's actually tooltips on the labels that best describe what each stat represents. They should clear up any misunderstanding. Regarding Technology, it's actually quite different from the other two, it represents a class' tendency to have stuff like Cloak, Solar and other fancy gimmicks. I'm open to finding a better name for the columns though, they're placeholders more than anything.

SC2 editor is terrible for text formatting though. It may look messy and misaligned, but it actually took me like 30 minutes of fucking around adding and removing spaces between words so it would look centered. Oh well.

'Special Abilities'

And use text boxes/label. Never try to format with spaces, it will bite you in the ass when you have to change it later.

Also, I had no idea it was on a scale of 5 until I decided to count all the different words to find out. A grade system (A, B, C, D, F -or- S, A, B, C, D) would work better. Or a dot system (, ●●, ●●●, ●●●●, ●●●●●) would make for a much more readable table. Reducing the count to 3 or 4 values would also be a very good idea. Accuracy of the ratings isn't anywhere close to as important as readability. Put yourself into the mindset of a new player who has no investment in the game whatsoever. Also, getting rid of blue from the color scheme would help readability.

There's a very stupid reason why I didn't use one label per word. You can't center text in labels, so to have labels that look centered you have to adjust the X coordinates according to the length of the content of the label, which ends up being as much work as adding spaces. I wish I knew the reasoning behind the non-addition of such primitive features, but whatever. There's a workaround uses invisible buttons, but I'd rather avoid that if possible.

Also, I had no idea it was on a scale of 5 until I decided to count all the different words to find out. A grade system (A, B, C, D, F -or- S, A, B, C, D) would work better. Or a dot system (, ●●, ●●●, ●●●●, ●●●●●) would make for a much more readable table. Reducing the count to 3 or 4 values would also be a very good idea. Accuracy of the ratings isn't anywhere close to as important as readability. Put yourself into the mindset of a new player who has no investment in the game whatsoever. Also, getting rid of blue from the color scheme would help readability.

Hm. Definitely. I really like the dot system, I'll try to see what it looks like. As for number of values, let's see what 3 and 4 values would look like :

3 values;

Tac 3 1 2 2

Tec 2 1 3 3

Eli 1 3 2 2

Sho 2 3 1 1

Uni 2 2 2 2

Meh. I don't like it. Not enough differentiation between classes that should be differentiated.

4 values;

Tac 4 1 3 2

Tec 3 1 4 4

Eli 1 3 3 2

Sho 2 4 1 1

Uni 3 2 2 3

That looks much better. The blue would naturally be taken out with this scheme. We'll go with 4.

Tried Collapsed Galaxy. Gotta say, breathing a sigh a of relief. It's super choppy, don't know if it's because of the lag or if the response time is just shitty in general, The english translation is absolutely horrid, typos everywhere. They tinkered with the balance but not in a good way it seems. Infil on Pelicans is cute, but it seems like they just added some random shit on units just for the hell of it. The battles are pretty though, I'll give em that.

Collapsed Galaxy? You mean the Chinese project? The choppiness is almost certainly lag.

They started with US SG stats but have now been trying to compile all the info they can in order to move towards the Taiwanese (I think) version of SG. Maybe they had infil Pels in that version.

Did they implement unit collision yet? Everything was walking through each other last I tried it.

Yeah, Chinese SG2 or whatever. I think that's the official english name they're going with.

Unit collision is definitely implemented, but it's not very good. The collision size of certain units is much bigger than the units' model size so it makes for some awkward situations when trying to get on a POC.

I tried to play a bit more today. It took me 10 minutes to get into the game, and once I was in I was welcomed by more loading bars. When I finally got to the Cave 1 (which is the only thing you can do at level 1 because there's very little actual battles going on, at least on the lowbie planet), I couldn't actually get in. So whatever. I'm really curious to see what it looks like at higher levels though, so I'll keep trying.

Unrelated question : Was Team Phase on by default? Should it be on by default in PoC?

Other question : Did you need to have TK on to kill your own units? Should it stay the same way in PoC?

> Fixed a bug where Technologist Sappers would not accurately show what type of mines they were using
> Fixed Scaves attacking air targets
> Tweaked Shades’s actors; Might fix the issue with Shades being unable to attack past a certain point
> Fixed a bug where Manticores and Wraiths could attack airmines
> Fixed labelling issues with Allstats screen
> Implemented simpler, more reliable bank encryption system
> Implemented basic lore screen
> Class selection screen overhaul :
    >> Added class ratings for each class
    >> Old class descriptions are now tooltips for class buttons
    >> New tooltips for each class ratings’ stat
> It is now possible to view other player’s character information by clicking on their names in the Stats/F3 screen
> Added sounds to POC events 
> Polished the Faction selection process
> Implemented the foundations of the Medals system
    >> Medal implemented : Beta Tester - play a game during Beta
> Implemented Team Kill toggle system; Shortcut - Ctrl-F6
> Implemented Team Phase toggle system; Shortcut - Ctrl-F5

Well, my checklist of things to do is done. Still haven't been able to reproduce the Arbs through FoW bug in single player. We're probably going to have a new map by Sunday too, depending on how smoothly the process of changing the terrain data goes.

Woot.

Team phase and TK were off by default.  You had to have TK on to kill your own units.  I don't really know/care which way we should do it in PoC :).

Hah, so from what I'm seeing out of the Facebook comments, Collapsed Galaxy turns into a micro transaction bullshit if you want to stay competitive, and they're justifying it around the fact that SG required you to pay $10/month if you wanted to stay competitive ish.

Perfect. PoC is free, balanced and not run by morons, or at least I'd like to think so. That could be enough to balance the lack of RPG aspect and the fact that we don't have our own client.

I can't believe you're still stressing over ChinaSG. I thought it was obvious long ago that that project isn't going anywhere that us westerners (and easterners who prefer SG's style of play) will ever want to get involved with. That project is focused on all the elements of SG that we valued the least.

Pelicans had infil from beta all the way to 1.5.  They might have been called bumblebees back then too hah.

ChinaSG had a ton of momentum but they went pay2win on day one of open beta.  You can't upgrade sensibly upgrade your units past MK2 without premium resources.  Doesn't mean you should ignore them though, they ARE your competition.  They're a company with paid employees who have poured hundreds of hours into development so I can see why they're so anxious to cash in when popularity is peaking.  It is pretty interesting on the strengths and weaknesses of the two clients almost stand in complete opposition to one another.  That said, the direction they're going is obviously a Runescape style game

Definitely going to be keeping an eye on them, but MZ is right... They're way off base and if they don't drastically change the direction of their product, it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

SC2 editor is so frustrating sometimes though... You would think assigning a different terrain to a map wouldn't be so ridiculously complicated.

edit : trying to find some files in old facebook conversations... seeing MZ say "full battle-testing is a long way off" 7 months ago is insta-boner

Going to be testing with the new map. There was a lot of small issues that arose when transferring the triggers & data to a different map, most of them seem to be fixed but it's possible a couple of flip flops occur Sunday. Shouldn't be anything too dramatic. We'll be looking at an Open Beta in the upcoming week-ish.

Would anyone be interested in making a video out of the replay of one of the better games? It's been a lot of updates since the last teaser.

Also, here's what I have for tonight so far. What have I overlooked?

Tickets drop rate needs adjusting

Stat screen has sync issues when 2+ players use it

Change map :

>> Horizontal port layout

>> Portals should be backed up

>> More ramps

Booster/Afterburner should not be same color as a faction

Check Sapper damage