Tender Peaches

The Point of Contention Thread

What are your usual availabilities for the timeslots below? (all times EST)  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Weekdays Evenings : 7PM - 10PM (excluding Fridays)

• Generally available
    • Depends on the day
    • Generally unavailable
  2. 2. Saturday Mornings : 10AM - Noon

• Generally available
    • Sometimes available
    • Generally unavailable
  3. 3. Saturday Evenings : 8PM - 10PM

• Generally available
    • Sometimes available
    • Generally unavailable
  4. 4. Sunday Mornings : 10AM - Noon

• Generally available
    • Sometimes available
    • Generally unavailable
  5. 5. Sunday Nights : 8PM - 10PM

• Generally available
    • Sometimes available
    • Generally unavailable

Player names were all orange/brown instead of the color of their specific faction.

I also want to say that despite all the comments about things that could use a change, it was a decent map and a fun session.

So the map is pretty much ready to be released now. Almost every bug that was pointed out last week is likely to have been fixed, if we can get a couple of people online during the weekend to test it out that would be swell. Open release would follow immediately.

We still need a website.

I just had a thought, but I don't know how realistic or difficult it would be to implement.

What if, before the battle begins and around the time you select your port, each team gets to vote for a team captain.  The team captain would then have the usual regi leader abilities.  Most notably 10% HP and battle ping ability.  Or just battle ping (which is my main reason for thinking of this).  Whatever.

Damn I didn't know you were recording that.

Also, how do you face the units in a particular direction like when using arbs? Can you add an ability that does this?

R button does that, also in the unit's ability window

I just had a thought, but I don't know how realistic or difficult it would be to implement.

What if, before the battle begins and around the time you select your port, each team gets to vote for a team captain.  The team captain would then have the usual regi leader abilities.  Most notably 10% HP and battle ping ability.  Or just battle ping (which is my main reason for thinking of this).  Whatever.

Doable, relatively easy to implement, except I'm not too sure about how easy it is to prevent someone from pinging. I'm not super warm to the idea from a gameplay point of view though.

I don't think this would add any gameplay value at all.

If you do figure out how to stop pings, turning off the automatic ones that fire whenever "your ally is under attack" would be a great move.

I don't think this would add any gameplay value at all.

If you do figure out how to stop pings, turning off the automatic ones that fire whenever "your ally is under attack" would be a great move.

Last time I looked into that one, it was an unsolved problem as far as google could tell me. It's possible there's simply no way to prevent that, it's also likely no one has found a way yet. It needs to go for sure though.

There has to be a way as I've been on maps where you are certainly attacking things (think TD's) and there is no sound.

So we went with Wordpress for the website. I'm (finally) picking up PHP and will try to get a functional website up and running by the weekend. If I'm not mistaken, the URL will be www.point-of-contention.com. Launch should coincide with the release of Open Beta. We'll be playing on Sunday the 12th, 8:00PM EST to run the first open games and check for last minute bugs.

If you need any help with the backend PHP I wouldn't mind helping -- my css skills are lacking though, but I can at least write really good html for someone to come in and make look good. 

I'm sure someone already answered this but does Blizzard let the map make any outbound http requests? Maybe to load an image or something?

thanks for the offer mop, ill let you know if we need php. for now though, we'll stick with one o the basic wordpress templates since it delivers exactly what we need, at least for the time being. as for your question, the answer is still no afaik. the only external resources you can access during the game are bank files which are basically .txt files with a 1MB size limit (or KB? cant remember exactly) held locally, in the users's sc2 folder. we can import images into the map itself though, for example the minimap grid.

Oh well -- there goes my idea of having some website table showing what regi battles are currently going on and the score :(

Maybe Battle.net 2.0 wouldn't be so terrible if there was an API that let you circumvent it

There was Conquestor's suggestion to fuck around with natives, but that's not something I wanted to go into.

Yeah people will learn to deal with it.  There needs to be a better way to get everyone connected together on BNet than what we're currently doing though.  I tried setting up a database but no one used it :(

Also do you need help writing anything for the POC website?

do we need get sc2: heart of swam in order to play or trailer version is fine.

cos I got many players they dont have the game but wants to play POC.