Tender Peaches

The Point of Contention Thread

What are your usual availabilities for the timeslots below? (all times EST)  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Weekdays Evenings : 7PM - 10PM (excluding Fridays)

• Generally available
    • Depends on the day
    • Generally unavailable
  2. 2. Saturday Mornings : 10AM - Noon

• Generally available
    • Sometimes available
    • Generally unavailable
  3. 3. Saturday Evenings : 8PM - 10PM

• Generally available
    • Sometimes available
    • Generally unavailable
  4. 4. Sunday Mornings : 10AM - Noon

• Generally available
    • Sometimes available
    • Generally unavailable
  5. 5. Sunday Nights : 8PM - 10PM

• Generally available
    • Sometimes available
    • Generally unavailable

Because yes, we're already talking about balance. We want to make this game public once we achieve a semblence of balance+variety equilibrium, which will most likely be achieved near the ~20/25 units benchmark. The earlier the better, and the only way to achieve earlier results is to keep the game as balanced as possible by implementing the right units in the right order. As much as I'd love to add Arbs, Pigs and Vults all at once, the game would turn into a glorified game of whackamole.

If that's the plan, you should release units as threat/counter combos. Arbs and Shees, Pigs and Balls, Vults and Nix, Rocs and Liches.

From a balance perspective, btw, SC2's player limit and queue system will drastically alter things. Fortunately, the majority of the change will be that gameplay will be more in line with SG's original design and v-units and fraggers will become legitimately viable choices. Just don't be surprised when V-Wights are found to be far and beyond the best units in the game.

As for Lithubiks, I agree that their current state absolutely does not belong in any game. But for the future, consider their original design

Yeah, we're trying to do that as much as possible. It's probably not going to be as clear-cut as "Threat/Counter" combos, but every unit release should either fulfill the biggest need or counter the most OP unit type. Like right now, the game too safe and promotes camping pocs with tough units, because nothing can clear Moths or Revs fast enough. The next unit will help change that.

Any idea on how to implement an inventory?

I like the idea that when you lose a set or half a set or hp of a few units, you lose that for for the entire battle -- promoting strategic thinking before picking your next set, and promoting inventory builds on top of just choosing your stat. 

I was thinking this is might be possible with text input. We can create some offline tool where you build your inventory, and all it does is create a text string that you copy paste into the game and understands the inventory to create, 

This could be an option for the game creator so you can still have pickup games where there's no inventory limit.

Yeah, there's obviously and added layer of strategic depth when you have a limited number of squads to use. If we were to implement such a restriction without having the entire statstracking back-end, it'd mean that before each battle, you select which sets will be available to you, and as the battle goes on you can only pick whichever sets you chose. There's value to this from a competitive point of view, but I don't feel it's necessary - having access to every unit allows you to really choose the unit you deem most fit for a particular situation. Plus, it would probably turn down players who just want to blow shit up without thinking too much. I could see this being implemented as some kind of mod or setting you could choose before the game starts... but just like other cool features of that nature, it's not something we're going to be looking at anytime soon.

So it's official, next Sunday's session will feature a new unit : the Arbalest. It's by far the most complex unit to be implemented, so keep an eye out for any funny behavior when arbalests are involved. Regardless, they should be loads of fun, and will make Eagles/Pelicans brokenly overpowered. Be there Sunday to be the first to see them!

Hilarious how they're talking about me in that video. I miss Galv vs Haven...my personal favorite days of SG duirng the competitive apex of the game. Do you know if yru has a video of a full RB around?

I will be there again this Sunday. I tried finding the map last night to make my SC2 friends try it out after we did our 1v1s. /sadface but all is good.

I will be there again this Sunday. I tried finding the map last night to make my SC2 friends try it out after we did our 1v1s. /sadface but all is good.

It's not public yet. Only I can host it. It seems impossible to share the hosting rights with other people, but if you figure out a way let me know. Tell them to come next Sunday instead :P

Next Sunday will also see the introduction of the 4th class, the Elitist aka "proving everyone wrong one pink-balls haltyr at the time". Because sometimes going 5 tact is just the best thing to do.

By the way guys, TSP popped in SGC a couple days ago and is actually responding to stuff. He's been working on a game for Android/iOS and dropped by to promote it. He also revealed that SG's code wasn't actually commented in Korean, they just never had the resources to replace the original programmers. If you wanna talk to him, now's your time. Check it out.

Regarding POC, here's the changes for tonight's update :

> Implemented Arbalests

> Implemented new class : Elitist (low tact/high clout/high edu)

> New splash screen which displays useful information for new and experienced players alike

> Pressing ‘S’ should now accurately order your units to stand still and not move even if fired upon

> Implemented a quick help screen, accessible by pressing F1

> Swapped the “Repick Class” and “Clear Squad” buttons

> Increased the font size of the screen-side buttons (View Battlefield, Clear Squad and Repick Class)

> Fixed a bug where Universalist ground units would not suffer from low ground damage penalty

> Fixed a bug where melee units did not receive high ground advantage

> Adjusted every unit’s sight range and weapon range; the conversion rate from SG values is now 0.46 or 46%, up from 37.5%, resulting in a global range increase of roughly 22.6%

> Fixed a bug where Dorian Light engines provided insufficient boost

> Adjusted Universalist Eagles’ energy

> Units that run out of energy will now be able to move around after 10 seconds, enabling them to reinforce fresh units without having to wait for a TK

> Fixed a bug where Owls did not lose Energy when firing

> Fixed a bug where all units regenerated Energy when standing over a Methane vent

> Fixed a bug where POCs did not properly reset when a unit cloaked while poccing

> Fixed a bug where cloaked/camouflaged units did not start POCcing if they unstealthed on the POC

> Cleaned up the Shades’ actors; this should not result in any noticeable change

> Cleaned up the Tacticians’ and Shocktroopers’ Pelicans, they should now correctly shoot two missiles and handle target acquisition better than before

> Fixed the Poc Relayed stat, it should now correctly display the numbers of POCs a player has relayed (requires capture of the POC)

Massive thanks to everyone, we managed to get a full 7v7 today! Sadly couple of us had some DC issues, but the games were pretty hectic regardless. The bugs are getting more and more complex, but hopefully all those that were found tonight will be fixed by next week. All your feedback has been gathered and will be addressed in the next patch.

Take note, next week's game session will take place on Monday July 1st to accomodate people who can't make it on weekends. Games will start at 8PM as usual.

First impressions: First game, I was very confused. From selecting the "spec" to units, just didn't feel very straight forward. Probably SC2 to blame due to limitations. However...

Next game or two, I understood it a bit more just by playing and found it pretty fun and look forward to testing the game more in the future.

edit: TSP responded - http://www.sg-city.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=6nbq6lv6099iifcik2nrdnd5b3&topic=15357.0

Doh, I'd love to, but I'm currently on Korea time where I'm supposed to be "working".  

I'll see if I can re-install SC2 to my work computer and try to catch a game with you guys next time.

I wasn't able to make it last night, and probably won't make the next one or two either.  I'll be on vacation (woohoo!).  I look forward to attending the sessions in mid July :).

Dudemain/Peaches:
Taking out the grinding does have its negative consequences... Labbing your units was a very integral part of the game and provided massive amounts of customization. I really wish we could find a way to implement it somehow, but since it's so directly tied to grinding, I highly doubt it'd even be possible.

So, I did have some thoughts on this.  I'm not sure how possible it is....however...

What if we designed some "alternate" designs for each unit, for each stat?  Want a super fast but paper owl?  Sure.  how about a slower harder to kill version?  Ok.  What about an infil imp instead of a cloaker imp?  

i envision it like this.  At the unit selection screen you click your unit and are presented with something like a dropdown list of 2-4 unit design choices.  All named according to what the design offers.  (cell, solar, batt, meth), (slow/fast), (paper/armored), etc.

This would be something to work on after all units are implemented with the base stats we came up with, of course.

thoughts?