Tender Peaches

The Point of Contention Thread

What are your usual availabilities for the timeslots below? (all times EST)  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Weekdays Evenings : 7PM - 10PM (excluding Fridays)

• Generally available
    • Depends on the day
    • Generally unavailable
  2. 2. Saturday Mornings : 10AM - Noon

• Generally available
    • Sometimes available
    • Generally unavailable
  3. 3. Saturday Evenings : 8PM - 10PM

• Generally available
    • Sometimes available
    • Generally unavailable
  4. 4. Sunday Mornings : 10AM - Noon

• Generally available
    • Sometimes available
    • Generally unavailable
  5. 5. Sunday Nights : 8PM - 10PM

• Generally available
    • Sometimes available
    • Generally unavailable

There's already a similar system that we're going to implement at one point for Neutron Shield Levis, Sappers and the like. The problem with doing this for every unit is that it would require humongous amounts of space, since every build would be a different unit.

That said, I'm starting to wonder if the most effective thing to do would be to assign a behavior to every item, and then apply the corresponding behaviors to the unit. For example, adding a Methane Reactor behavior to a unit adds 10k Energy, and would trigger the regeneration when it steps on a Methane Vent. It would lighten every unit and maybe set the bases for a build-it-yourself system.

Also, there's a category under Misc for Alternate builds. There's nothing there yet because that's not what we're focusing, but this is where we plan to put units with drastically different builds, like Grenade Daevas, AG eagles (lol!) and the like. It's not as in-depth as what you're suggesting, but at least it allows a bit of versatility for the most dramatic builds.

I would like access to the Google doc so I can start at least outlining a wiki like we had spoken about last night.

Also, I recorded our session last night but the hum of my AC filled the entire video and I couldn't get rid of it. I'll see if I can get some video fo the replays tonight.

I would like access to the Google doc so I can start at least outlining a wiki like we had spoken about last night.

Also, I recorded our session last night but the hum of my AC filled the entire video and I couldn't get rid of it. I'll see if I can get some video fo the replays tonight.

Score Board (by hitting tab, no @allstats/etc.) with stats like # of pocs captured/kills/etc.

Red Box on mini-map sectors (b-2, d-2, etc.) for PoC's

Being able to tell what team your on. Have the color of your teammates/yourself on the mini-map be the same color as team colors (or at least an easier way to tell which team your on, intuitively).

I'd find having all those things would help the game out a LOT, but I recall hearing the first one is impossible (SC2 limitations).. and I'd imagine the second/third one would have been done right away, if they were possible.

Also, as discussed yesterday, energy under health for all your units is needed. I recall some people saying they had it for some/all/none.

On a separate matter, the poc circles.. it's a little hard to tell who is currently capping. From what I recall, you have to look at the mini-map and see if it's yellow (yours). Otherwise, it's the currently the enemies.

I had a lot of fun playing the game; thanks for all the hard work. Look forward to the future ;)

Yellow? There is a toggle in the SC2 settings when in the game near the minimap. It sets everyone on your team to the same color. All I saw last night was red v blue. No other crazy colors.

If you guys keep this up I will be forced to join in on weekends as my m-f schedule is kind of iffy but usually 8-5 cst. I dont have the expansion and may or maynot beable to do TS/Vent whatever.

@Kal - you don't need the expansion, just Wings of Liberty :P

@#s - Tab bringing up the score screen may or may not be doable, just not a priority right now. I believe Tab is already a built-in command to switch between unit types when you have a group of different unit types selected. The typing command is just there so people don't get used to a shortcut key that may end up being different... F8 for retreat is already confusing enough :P

Wow, I had to dig through my memories to remember what you were referring to by "red squares"... but yes, absolutely. Good call.

Energy bars were bugged, they're supposed to be only shown for your team. I'm working on that.

Figuring out who's actually poccing has been pretty rough, ya. We're probably just going to get rid of the whole crystal slowly fading thing and go with something a lot more contrasting.

Thanks for the feedback~

Only other thing I can think of might come into play later.. in regards to balancing. Due to the map size being smaller, max speed of units will need to probably be brought down (probably already taken into consideration, I'm sure). Air units in particular.

You did mention "dividing" stats, so I'm sure it was used for speed as well. Regardless, I guess with the "longer" reinforce timers as the game progresses (I believe that's how you currently have it set up, at least), it isn't the end of the world currently. Probably look into it again later when we do a balance pass through.

I think as more units are brought into the game, balance is mostly taken care of due to the whole SG rock, paper, scissor format. Then after that, can tinker it as you see fit.

Speed is one of the values we can easily tweak. We'll probably bring it down a bit again next week.

Reinforce timers aren't longer as the game progresses. You're thinking of LoL :P. They're flat 30 seconds all around.

The reason everyone has issues with speed isn't because of the mathematical values but because there's "less" shown on screen in SC2 than SG. In other words, the camera is more zoomed in, so you find yourself having to pan your camera around a lot more to reach the same battle awareness or just to keep track of your flying units. The speeds and ranges have all been adapted directly from SG stats in a proportional manner.

The speeds are proportional, however, the map is smaller too. Flying a set of pelicans, owls, or eagles from top to bottom *seems* very fast. It's hard to remember though, level 60 pelicans top to bottom... I don't really know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SG

Shattered Galaxy isn't even on that list. Selena Gomez, drog?

SGSg or sg may stand for:

In computing and internet:

In education:

In engineering:

In music:

In sports:

In technology

• Shutter glasses, a device used in conjunction with a display screen to create the illusion of a three dimensional image

In military:

In transportation:

• SG, IATA code for Jetsgo from 2001 to 2005
  • SG, IATA code for SpiceJet since 2005
  • Standard Gauge for railways (4 ft 8.5 in or 1435 mm)

Miscellaneous:

Was poc.wikia.com taken? Other than people who played SG, no one has a single clue what "SG" means.

It was taken actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SG

Shattered Galaxy isn't even on that list. Selena Gomez, drog?

So why don't you add it? Wiki is editable, then link it to sgcity or something like that.

*NM, just did it.

Ugh, poc.wiki is a shitty wiki with 8 pages and is apparently ran by illiterate 14 years old. Oh well. At least Point of Contention wikia in google will return the good result, it's already like 5th on the list.

Regarding the Poc Crystals which display the ownership of the POCs - what do you guys feel is more intuitive?

A) If Terminus is poccing, the crystal is/becomes red

B) If Terminus is poccing, the crystal stays blue because the POC is still in Brotherhood's possession

I always hated some games display of kills. For example, when someone dies in Smite, you see the portrait circled with one of the two team's color. If the color is red, does it means it got killed by a red player? Or does it mean that the player who got killed was on the red team? Pep, who plays Smite regularly, answered me about 7 times, and I still can't answer that question with 100% certainty. I don't want people playing PoC to run into the same issues.

The Crystals have the option to go from one color directly to another in a One-shot motion with a certain blending time (this is how it's been working so far for owned POCs), or the option to Bounce between two colors (this is how it's been working with neutral POCs). There's also a third option which does the one-shot motion but repeats it once it's done, called Cycle. It's not used because it's not very clear, but it's available.

Hopefully I'll be able to stop by some time you guys are doing this....It might not be until summer passes though.

If you need the teamspeak adjusted just let me know.

So does that mean we can make the POC Blue because Brotherhood owns it and blend it to Red over the entire course of the 45 second poc time?

Have you thought about putting the crystal or the poccing indicator to the side of the actual poc?  That way it is more visible.  As of now, it seems to get lost with all of the action and colors on the poc.

To answer your question on when to change the color:

I believe it should stay the color of who owns the poc.  If terminus is poccing on Brotherhood, the crystal should stay blue (flashing/blending) until Terminus has completed the poc.

Just to be clear, the POC itself can't change color - only the Crystal can.

@Rice - Yep. What we have been using so far is quite similar to that. It's an elegant and intuitive solution, but the problem is there's a ~25 seconds window in the middle of the poccing process where the Crystal is a mix of red and blue and you have absolutely no idea what's going on.

@Deity - Yeah I've thought about putting the crystal elsewhere, but I don't think it's necessary. Call me superficial, but having it anywhere else than the middle would make the whole thing look weird. Plus I mean, it was also a problem in SG... It was even worse considering SG's ownership indicator was nothing but a decal printed on the POC which could easily be covered up.

I like your idea of simply having the Crystal flashing when it's being pocced. It could bounce back and forth from red/blue to black until poccing is complete.

We could also tweak Rice's suggestion and instead of a single, long blend we could One-shot red to black for 22.5 seconds, then One-shot black to blue for another 22.5 seconds.

Here's what we're gonna do. We'll try a different scheme every week and pick whichever is the most popular. I'm leaning towards' D's idea though. It has the added benefit of being the solution that most closely reproduces SG's behavior.