Sign in to follow this  
Deity

Upgrading Computer

Looking to upgrade.  Tired of having to dial down graphics to play games at a good frame rate (SC2 comes to mind).

Is it worth the money to upgrade at this time?  Any new processors/components coming out that I should wait for?

How careful do I need to be when upgrading?  (I don't want to break anything).

Below is my current computer (less a SSD that I installed in 2012).

--------

1 x Western Digital WD Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

1 x G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK (System only will work with 3GB.  Same problem since building.)

1 x Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready ...

1 x Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

1 x GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

1 x XFX HD-487A-ZHFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

1 x AMD Phenom II X4 920 2.8GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor HDX920XCGIBOX

1 x LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM (Failing.  Need to replace)

Ummm....we pretty much have the exact same build oO

nabvb5j.jpg

Though I totally stole mine from DF so maybe that would explain it :o  The only real upgrade path short of getting a new motherboard (read: new everything) is your video card.  You can either kick the can down the road with a ~$200 video card (7850, 650ti, 660ti) or just wait and upgrade your whole system when you feel the time is right.

If your system can only address 3GB of memory odds are you are using a 32-bit OS and need to upgrade to 64bit.  Going up to 4GB ram on Windows 7 will probably feel like a huge difference if you have a heavy process load on your computer

Yeah, I built something very similar to that, but with a higher-end processor, a few years ago (late 2009 I think?) and several other people used it as a basis for theirs. 

Coincidentally, I'm looking to upgrade this summer as well.

RE the RAM:

I have a 64GB OS.  Ever since first trying to turn it on (before installing anything) it would constantly restart until we underclocked (not sure on the term). 

MZ and Cres were there when I was building it.  They may have a better idea of what they hell they saw if they remember.

What are you looking at upgrading DF?  Just Videocard?

Just built a new computer and figured I would post it here :)

Core i5 4670k

MSI Z87-G43 microATX motherboard

EVGA GTX 760

8GB RAM @ 1600mhz

Samsung 840 120GB SSD

Seagate 1TB HDD

550W modular PSU

Rosewill Line-M case

Got the whole thing fit inside of a mini tower.  Tough to work on but this thing is a BEAST and it's whisper quiet.  Previous system was almost identical to Deity's.