Sign in to follow this  
disco

Path of Exile

I just discovered this game last week. It has been described as "what diablo 3 should have been." Was made by the (now-fired) Blizzard North team which made Diablo II.

Anyone else play it?

Is free to play, supported by microtransactions. You run around in dungeons praying for good loots.

http://www.pathofexile.com/

From what I understand, it has changed quite a bit since I played, so I'm not sure how relevant my information would be.  It didn't really blow me out of the water or anything, but it was a solid ARPG like any of the Diablo or Torchlight games.  Note that this isn't my favorite genre of games either, so my opinion of it may be lower than it deserves just based on that.

I asked a friend of mine who has much more gameplay time in it than I do why it is still in "beta" given how complete and polished the game feels. The explanation he gave me was "so they don't have to have high levels of support."

It really does feel finished. There's 3 acts and 3 difficulties, plot, and a ridiculous dungeon where you fight floating ribbons, destroying all of them before you chat up their leader who quickly forgives you for destroying her entire army because you provided her the means to make more ribbons.

Beyond that, and sporadic desyncs, I think its a very good game.

I also played it in beta and it really did seem like what D3 should have been. I enjoyed the leveling path that you kind of had to plan out ahead of time, but it made almost all the classes very unique for building.

I've played this extensively, being a big fan of D2. It is indeed the spiritual successor to D2. The skill tree is humongous and there are hundreds of different builds that you can play whether it be for fun or for efficiency. Basically an ARPG, lots of loot, lots of room for improvisation and customization as far as your character goes. I will be playing when the new leagues (Think D2 Ladders) begin in March, on hardcore. Shoot me a PM or reply here if you're interested and want someone to explain stuff.

I liked it a lot, has a lot of similarities to Diablo 2 (with a lot of customization). Haven't played it in a while.

If you want to join me for the next ladder season let me know. I only play on the hardcore one though.

I played on the original client before it popped up on steam so I dont have the steam client and I rarely ever log in. I can give you my char name when the league begins though

New league starts in 2 days (March 5th) along with upcoming big patch. Will be playing on Invasion League (Hardcore Ladder, 3-4 months) if you want to join me. Will post char name after I roll.

Super Necro! Will be playing next season on the Hardcore ladder again. Let me know if you wish to join me. If SC is more your thing I can also give insight into some builds and perhaps roll a character nearing the end of the league. (But seriously Hardcore is better =D)

I also have a guild that is pretty empty so I can add you if you just want to pop on and off.

Yeah new league challenges are pretty tough. They buffed a lot of old spells and added some new gem interactions, should hop on just to check it out when you get the chance! I'm currently top 100 in HC ladder, don't have a group to play with though so I'll fall behind eventually =(.

Cool, i Pm'd you. For anyone else who wants to play you can add me ingame : DividebyzeroDC. I play Hardcore Leagues exclusively but if you decide to play SC I can help with builds and stuff.