Sign in to follow this  
numbers

Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

I'm not into card games, but when I saw 30k+ viewers on twitch for this game, I wanted to at least see what it was...

I know we have some people into card games (hell, acheron posted a decent one a while ago), so I figured.. I'd at least throw it out here for those who think they might enjoy it.

Looks decent... oh, and it's from blizzard (aside from diablo 3, they release quality games). I'll probably check it out when I get into beta / comes out to see if it's any good.

Odd. They just did a wipe and supposedly there won't be any further ones (at "launch" or even "open beta").

Will there be any wipes in the future?

We don’t anticipate any further wipes. This goes for both the Hearthstone beta and after the game’s official release. Any progress made during the beta after the wipe will be retained through the release of Hearthstone, such as new cards you obtain, levels that you gain and ranks you achieve. Basically, you’ll now be able to keep your stuff.

I asked a buddy of mine that works at Blizzard if he has any spare keys

They are really being tight with keys. Normally they give us 10 keys and then give us more as time goes on. This time they gave us 3... 3 total to hand out.

Ah well.

For people just starting hearthstone: http://ihearthu.com/category/guides/basic-deck-building/ (once you're level 10 on a character, you can use all the cards they recommend.. well, at least for warrior/hunter/druid). Surprised they haven't added the other 6 classes yet (or if they will at all) ;( Guess I'll have to test my own builds for them later.

Personally, I'm learning the different classes and get a better feel for the game, so I can pick multiple classes in arena (since you have to choose one of 3 which are random).

Below are the build I'm currently using (with really good success, since I've stopped using the default deck & started to use my own decks):

Warrior

J7Yn0zV.png

Just unlocked Arcanite Reaper. Not sure what I want to get rid of to add another 3 mana cost, so I can have the option of using Stormwind Champion + said minion on the turn (or other variations). Also as an early game play on turn 3 or 5.

I was thinking to replace something with one of the following: Scarlet Crusader, Raid Leader, Razorfen Hunter, Ironridge Grizzly or Earthen Ring Farseer. Pretty much my only 3 mana options. Well, or shield block - which isn't horrible.

Hunter

xBCzlTy.png

I literally stole the hunter & warrior build from http://ihearthu.com/category/guides/basic-deck-building/ (requirement: level 10, uses all basic cards), then tinkered it some. Just looking at it, I can spot the Boulderfist, Spellbreaker, Acidic Swamp modifying the "suggested" build from that site.

They recommended Core Hound (which is viable for hunters), but he just doesn't have enough health. The only time it'd work is if you have a Thundra Rhino already out or if the enemy doesn't take out the Core Hound right away. Maybe I'll replace it with Boulderfist, we'll see.

Thoughts

Cult Master win games. Pretty much the best way to look at cards, which is what the guy Trump did.. how much of an impact can they have on a game? (value v. mana cost)

The second I get 80 dust, I'm going to unlock 2x Cult Master. I'll probably just go down Trump's list and unlock them one by one. Obviously, he doesn't rank some stuff (ex: murlocs) high since he looks at it from an arena perspective.

I'll probably give druid a shot tonight (http://ihearthu.com/basic-deck-building-druid/).

The reason for the Core Hound is because it is a beast type creature. It gets and gives bonuses from other beast creatures or spells. Even if it only lasts the turn you summon it, that's a lot of damage being dealt to take out one guy.

For a starting out deck, the only use I can see is if you already have Tundra Rhino already out. Or.. possibly, playing it along with a Shattered Sun Cleric (both of which can easily be countered, still).

Tundra Rhino on previous turn, Core Hound & Shattered Sun Cleric (issue still is if you didn't save it or you're dead before the 10 mana turns). Wam. I can see Stormwind Champion working out very well in the mix, as well.

I still think he's a mana hog for only 5 health, though. And would only work for hunter decks (or beast buff / buffs - +1/+1/etc. / ESPECIALLY "other beasts get charge" decks). As mentioned already, countered by silence (hello lovely spellbreaker). 

I just had a ridiculously fast game.

Amani Berserker combined with Shattered Sun Cleric is so beastly. When you play it and the enemy doesn't counter it right away, it tells you a lot about the opponents hand. Ex: Silence/Sheep/Etc. (when one person gets to that much of a lead early game, the game is pretty much decided)

I just played Amani Berserker->Shattered Sun Cleric->Sen'jin->Mark of the Wild on Amani Berserker (since he tried taking it down and I knew he didn't have any a cheap counter available since he hasn't used it yet)

Next step: learn all cards so I can think through every play and what possible plays are available from the opponent

Btw - you can fireblast your Amani

Druid is pretty funny. I just played a sen'jin turn 1. Pretty troll.

Innervate+mana crystal->Sen'jin. Could do the same thing with any 5 health 4 mana cost cards (Stormwind Knight- if they played something on their turn 1, Chillwind Yeti, Gnomish Inventor, etc.). Turn on your real turn two, play an Armani Berserker. GG. Then turn 4.. play the ridiculous Cult Master.

At this point, you just have to think about what cards they'll have on each of those turns to possible counter you.

Finally did first arena this weekend... 0-3 like a boss... Went Warrior (I know, bad idea) and had a lot of weapons from minions or just plain cards... Did not get a single one until last fight. FU RNG

I find Mage and Priest to be awesomely strong in Arena mode.  Mind Control is broken against the poorly streamlined decks you generally face, and direct damage is huge.

I've done 7-9 wins multiple times with each.

If neither of those are available, then you get what you get :P  I don't think I've pulled more than 6 wins with another class.

Been having a lot of fun with this game.  I noticed that my unranked games were matching me up against nothing but people with complete sets of legendaries so figured I'd give ranked a try.   Rolled through ranked and made Master rating with my Rogue deck:

This deck is completely about control of sente (initiative) - achieving early dominance and then pressuring towards the victory.  It has a number of ways to wrest control of it back from the enemy if it falls behind.

1 x Backstab (0)

2 x Elven Archer (1)

1 x Young Priestess (1)

2 x Eviscerate (2)

1 x Acidic Swamp Ooze (2)

1 x Faerie Dragon (2)

1 x Knife Juggler (2)

2 x Novice Engineer (2)

1 x Fan of Knives (3)

1 x Ironfur Grizzly (3)

1 x Raging Worgen (3)

1 x Raid Leader (3)

2 x Shattered Sun Cleric (3)

1 x Wolfrider (3)

1 x Gnomish Inventor (4)

2 x Sen'jin Shieldmaster (4)

1 x Assassin's Blade (5)

2 x Assassinate (5)

1 x Booty Bay Bodyguard (5)

1 x Silver Hand Knight (5)

1 x Argent Commander (6)

1 x Lord of the Arena (6)

1 x Sunwalker (6)

1 x Stormwind Champion (7)

Are you still playing from a limited card pool?  Senjin is good for Arena but pretty meh in constructed.  SI agent is really nice in rogue.  I also really like the 4 for 3/3 that gives +1/+1 to adjacent and taunt.  (looked it up, Defender of Argus)

Ironfur grizzly is just awful though, I'd rather have another wolfrider.  He's not enough tempo or board control.  Demolisher is excellent in the 3slot, as is Flesheating Ghoul and Imp Master.  I am almost always happy with Questing Adventurer also, he usually is a 4/4 or better before he dies, and he draws 2+ card answers from your opponent as well.

I used to like Raid Leader, but Alpha Wolf almost always better, and in whatever situations Raid Leader is better than Alpha Wolf, you're probably already winning and overcommitting to the board.

Did you add me already or are you locked into EU region? gazarsgo#1595

edit: also warrior is one of my favorites in arena.  a lot of fun interaction and very strong hero power (and synergy w/ weapons of course)

Actually Senjin is an outstanding 4 mana card.  3/5 so very tanky, taunt.  At the time it comes out, they're generally trading 2-1 to remove it.

Am definitely on EU.

And yes, my card pool is limited at this point, but getting better all the time.  I harvest Arena for cards every day :)  Mostly just missing the legendaries, and the occasional rare now (for some reason my Druid pool is terrible for example).

Demolish btw, is a 'win more' card.  If they already have stuff out, he is a complete waste, plus the RNG always screws you and targets his hero when you need it to target his guys.  I like it in decks that have good taunt coverage, but find it situational.

Questing adventurer is the bomb in a lot of decks.  He's bad a turn 3 drop but great later.  The ghoul has a similar problem, but at least is a self replacing speed bump on turn 3.  Once again if they have a creature on the board he's nothing but a hiccup.

I bet you play Priest :)