Sign in to follow this  
numbers

Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

For those unaware, there was just a new expansion released on the 24th.  I've been experimenting a little with this card and it can do some hilarious things:

70dabe9899.jpg

Am I the only person still playing?

If anyone is still playing, some interesting news just came out a few days ago.

Basically, MTG-style formats are coming to hearthstone.  There will be a "standard" mode for ladder where only the basic/classic set + the most recent expansions are available, while "wild" mode will be every card in the game.

I started playing Hearthstone again with the Whispers expansions.  I like that GvG has gone away from standard format, since that set was craptasticly random.  I really enjoyed the first week post-launch where everyone was playing C'thun decks and I could just eat them alive with my control priest, but now that the season has evolved a bit we're down to really focused decks that take advantage of all the new cards, or super-rush.  I'm now finding that having not played for 2 expansions gives me a brutal lack of key cards (epics/legendaries) which sucks.  That'll take a fair while to grind up while dealing with missing them.

That said, its still more fun than it has been in the past, so it has held my interest for a while.  I'm slowly fleshing out my collection again.  It is a shame that crafting is so inefficient.

Btw, I also happened across another interesting F2P card game that I quite enjoy - Runescape Chronicle.  Coming to Steam shortly, but playable via download right now.  What I particularly enjoy is that the gameplay is different than most CCGs.  Each player has a hero that they steer through a 5 level dungeon, placing creatures and items in front of them to buff them up, and trying to hinder the enemy hero.  At the end of the dungeon the two heroes fight (assuming they both survived) and the winner is the game winner.

Creative game design that leads to an enjoyable play.  You won't be able to compete at the top tiers for quite a while as a pure F2P, but there is no actual reason you can't play fully free (which is how I do all F2Ps).  Well worth a play if you enjoy CCGs.

I've actually been enjoying the Hearthstone meta lately, but due to new job + Overwatch release I'm playing less than I have in recent months.  I'll still probably try to grind up to rank 5 before the season ends though.