Sign in to follow this  
disco

Europa Universalis 4

http://www.gamespot.com/europa-universalis-iv/reviews/europa-universalis-iv-review-6413174/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_Universalis_IV

I bought this game 2 days ago and am very much enjoying it. It is a RTS, and the best way to describe it is a blend of the Total War strategic style (not battles, but the strategy map) and Civ style research, trade, and diplomacy. Battles are fought civ style - you move a unit into a space, it fights another unit automatically, and someone loses. 

It is also very challenging and very complex. I played the tutorial (who does that??), and I'm still learning new ways of doing things and how to manage X and plan for Y.

Anyway i've played it about 10 hours so far, and I am really really enjoying it. It is much more intricate and complex than say Civ 5 (which I always felt was a little cartoon-ized), and the map management works just like Total War - its a very awesome combination. While it is an RTS, you can pause the game whenever you want to manage building / production / army movements, then un-pause to resume playing.

Territory conquering is perhaps the most interesting bit. In Civ, you just take the city and boom its yours (minus insurrection). Total war works the same way, more or less. In this game, you have to have created a "legitimate reason" to conquer the territory, but even if you take it you then have to convince the losing side to give up. That often means you negotiate with their allies, and usually you have to do more fighting against their allies to make them give up, too. So in my first game, I marched into the three territories controlled by Granada, who is a vassal of two countries. After taking all 3 Granadan territories easily, I thought I'd have Granada - that they would die off, like in Civ or TW - but no. The countries they were vassal to refused to give up, so I had to invade northern Africa to scare them into letting me have Granada, and so only after some 30 years of fighting (including several homeland insurrections caused by peasants unhappy at being drafted into my armies) I finally managed to get the rights to 1/3 of the territories I conquered in the first years of the war. But by then I was bankrupt, so I had to cut back on my military, and then Aragon raped me from behind and I lost.

I've played spain twice, both times struggled to take territory, and both times ended up bankrupt and getting raped by aragon within 20 years of starting.

i really recommend it, if you're a strategy fan. So far, it is very very good. And it is well-reviewed too.

This is similar to Crusader Kings II, without the family and intrigue limitations. 

EU is a pretty rewarding franchise, but it is engrossing, and you not for players who are set on conquering the world....because you'll never get to do that. But you can colonize the New World, take land that is not historically accurate, or just try to follow a historical path and turn Castile into the formal Spain, for instance.

I have Crusader Kings II, so I'm trying to hold off on this...but I'm sure I'll get it before too long myself.

Yeah ... I'm used to conquering the world. I played another 6 hour game last night, defeated 3 countries who simultaneously declared war on me, and then got greedy, causing riots at home and then my fucking 30 year old monarch died and boosh, there goes the empire.

It's a very good game. It's built out of the same crusader kings II engine.

How did I not see this thread? Wow, this game is good. Civ 5 was a lot of fun, but it pales in comparison to EU IV except when it comes to typos and GUIs. It's pretty hard to get into but it's worth the rage. Already spent a lot of hours on this in proportionally few games... I mean, how beautiful the world would be today if it were ruled by the French?

aew0he.jpg

Ironman was NOT a good idea 20 hours in, but after a bit of practice I figured the French were a good place to start. First global conflict is about to start, pitting the France/Sweden/Russia alliance against Spain/UK/HRE/Portugal axis. Ottoman is lazy. Probably not going to conquer the world this time around but there were a lot of fuck ups. For now Europe will do.

And that's that. 80 hours for a game, roughly twice the length of a Civ5 standard game. The final war was basically Russia + France (top 2 armies in the world) vs rest of the world excluding Sweden, who was allied to me but threatened. It wasn't even close. For some reason, the French revolution never occurred which is kind of a shame but oh well.

2mwhtaa.jpg

Probably going to play Portugal next. Also, more people need to play this :>

To be fair, most of those hours were play post-patch where there was an issue that slowed down the game considerably due to some optimization that wasn't happening. A 60-70 hours ballpark would be more accurate. Which is still a tad longer than most games I'll admit :P

I have always enjoyed the EU series games.  I find the multiplayer games to be amazing if you can find someone equally as nerdy as you that has the time to play.  One of my favorites is taking Portugal and trying to own north and south America with a capital in Manhattan. 

Ash