Sign in to follow this  
Tender Peaches

Video Card/Driver issue

I'm a CS student and I'm having computer issues that I seemingly can't fix, go figure. People think I'm good with computers, but honestly I'm just capable of using Google. And in this case, Google is not fixing my problem. So I come to thee, ic.com.

I've had a laptop for 4 years now. Hard drive busted, so I ordered a new one and replaced the old with the new. Reinstalled Vista (go fuck myself, the XP cd I had didn't work and I don't have a Windows 7 CD on me and for some reason burning windows 7 unto a CD or a USB key did not work for varied reasons). Had to install a bunch of drivers, most of which seemed to work.

Except the video card. This is what I see in the device manager :

29du2jd.jpg

There were a bunch of other Unknown Devices but Windows was able to find the drivers for them on its own. When I ask to update the Standard VGA Adapter's driver, it tells me I already have the most up-to-date driver. From what I've seen online, the Standard VGA Adapter showing up means Windows is unable to locate or use the video card so it's using the basic built-in thing.

My video card is the Intel GMA 4500MHD Dynamic Video Memory. I've tried downloading the drivers for it, but it reacts as if I didn't have that video card at all when installing said drivers ("your computer does not have the requirements yada yada).

So it seems the problem is that the computer itself can't see the video card, maybe because of a driver issue on whatever device is supposed to "see" the video card?

What laptop do you have?

Go to the manufacturers site and download ALL drivers it has.  There may be a bus driver, or chipset driver that controls its ability to see your graphics card properly.  Once this driver is installed, it should take the intel video driver.  I'm guessing that "Unknown Device" is the piece you need.

Ugh. I don't even know what my fucking video card is. According to the website, it's the Intel, but I clearly remember having the AMD Catalyst software installed on my computer before the crash. So I guess I may not have an Intel after all.

This is long and stupid.

Whoa. So I downloaded the AMD Catalyst, and it fixed everything. I still have an unknown device that I don't even know what it's supposed to be doing, but hey, I'll take it.

There's just this weird bug where the Catalyst Control Center crashes on startup, or whenever I try to manually launch it. I don't know if that's an issue... Going to find out soon enough I guess. Hopefully I'll be reformatting with Windows 7 soon though.

If there are any yellow exclamation points on your device manager you are a horrible person.  Pls install your SD card reader or whatever the fuck that is.  I can't believe the Core2Duo can still keep up with modern games tho, what a beast

My intern rolled out a system image that looked like that and the missing driver was the USB 3.0 controller ;_;

I don't have a USB 3.0 port, and all my USB ports are working fine. I suspect it's either something sound related (my speakers sound like shit although it's probably because they're old) or something completely useless because there's nothing I need that isn't working.

I get this alot when I am reimaging dell laptops. It usually ends up being something like an accellerometer or Drop sensor.  or fingerprint reader if yours came with that on  it.