Sign in to follow this  
Undaunted Death

Whatever Happened To MMO-PVP

Hello. Your ole'buddy Undaunted Death NEEDS to know... WHAT IS THE FUTURE OF MMO-PVP?

Am I going to be secluded indefinitely to pvp being constrained to FPS FOR ALL ETERNITY....!?

Wildstar and Destiny are the only ones I am seeing as being potentially prevailing.

Your thoughts please?

MMO PvP is really hit or miss, and that in itself is mostly miss. The problem is, MMOs are more for the gamer that wants to PvE by himself or with a group of friends. If the community gets large enough, you can get a good size of players that actually do want to do PvP and they can get really good at it. The problem at that point is when newer players jump into PvP, they tend to get roflstomped and lose interest very quickly.

A prime example of this is Firefall. Let's ignore that the game has changed 800 times in the last two days (obvious exaggeration but you get my point). There was a small and vibrant PvP community and there were even several tournaments that were hosted for cash and other prizes (I ran one of them). But interest in the game quickly faded as there was never any insurgence of new blood to the game. It trickled in and so did the few PvP players that got their asses handed to them after ~10 games and just quit outright.

darkfall was awesome until population death, relaunch sucks i hear

mortal online is around still, no idea if it's worth a crap

i guess mount and blade never actually launched as an MMO

mmo pvp is kind of miserable if you have anything else going on in your life though, IMO

The notion of mass pve is more preferable to the game mmo production companies, especially considering non-regulation . Gaz you know first-hand and foremost as to the exceptional experience of past Eve extreme pvp(not discounting that it gets in the way of real-life). But there are tremendously capable people that will never get to experience something of that magnitude ever again. The simple fact you are stating "it is so labor intense" exacts my theory that the best game in the world could be made so that people that have nothing but time on their hands could be the upper epsilon of gameplay of a thoroughly enriched pvp environment. Instead the instance or dungeon based pve garbage environment that is basically only offered. The best of the best young people are not even offered a choice... it has become to the point where mashing buttons are the only means of grouping together instead of severe strategy and real-time enact action.

RTS is fine and everything but it is so far in the future of gaming that graphical and deeply enriched experience would make a adeptly crafted/produced new mmo what EVERYONE would play instead of this mashing button existence everyone currently faces involuntarily.

The basic issue is that character progression and balanced pvp don't coexist well. No game has ever gotten it perfect.

perma death would help a lot here but... :)

Star Citizen

Instanced PVP encounters.

Face of mankind was probably the best MMO pvp game. Open world third person shooter, faction based with diplomacy etc.

Recorded at like 10FPS but yeah.

The game's relaunching soon, and considering playing it again.

I just started poking around eve again. So far it feels new and at the same time like an old comfortable pair of shoes. What I am enjoying is the ability to just get in and some stuff, reacquaint myself, and then see where it takes me this go around.

I still miss SG though.

Seems like MMO sizes have made it hard to have battles at the old EVE corp / SG number of guys now.  You can either have monstrously large battles where you are individually irrelevent (current EVE) or groups of a half a dozen or so (MOBAs) where you matter a lot, but where the teams are noteably smaller.

That reminds me.  Did you ever end up trying any of the MOBAs Macen ?

Eve was a great game back in the day. Good to see that people here still think about it even though most don't play anymore.

While its not really a "MMO", like numbers said World of Tanks(and Warplanes) is a blast. 15 v 15 for most matches, and other set ups depending on match types.

While you aren't always on an equal footing since you can face tanks two tiers above you...you still can easily pull the "weight" of a higher tier tank if you play smart.

It might not come off as SG-like like many here have started with. However compared to most large games currently its similar in a way that if you like straightforward PVP matches then you'll most likely enjoy WoT.

While its not really a "MMO", like numbers said World of Tanks(and Warplanes) is a blast. 15 v 15 for most matches, and other set ups depending on match types.

World of Tanks is definitely as addicting as any MMO out there. It can actually be fun too sometimes.

I feel like it suffers from the same problem as virtually all MMO's, in that the time investment required to make progression is just way unreasonably long.

I feel like it suffers from the same problem as virtually all MMO's, in that the time investment required to make progression is just way unreasonably long.

That, I completely agree with. Most MMOs will have casual players max up one, maybe two characters. World of Tanks gives you plenty of incentives to grind down at least three different lines from the moment you start, and at that point it's really easy to just branch out, adding more entries to your to-do list. And when you finally get your first max tier tank, you just want more so you grind other lines. Most high tier clans expect players to have at least 4-5 tier X tanks, which is a ridiculous time investment.

It's a fun game, but this is what killed it for me. Anytime I pop up the game nowadays, looking to blow up some tanks, I play one or two game tops and then log off hurriedly after acknowledging I need to play hundreds of battle to unlock new content... without taking into account the ingame currency which is rather hard to come by if you don't pay.

Terrific marketing strategy though.

That's kind of the underlying model for most F2P I think.  Although you could theoretically unlock enough stuff with play time, the amount of time actually required to do so is astronomical, so instead it pushes you to pay.  However, the pay costs are truly absurd as well, with hideous amounts of money translating to full unlock, which leaves even payers grinding as well.

Ugh.  I actually loathe F2P.

That's kind of the underlying model for most F2P I think.  Although you could theoretically unlock enough stuff with play time, the amount of time actually required to do so is astronomical, so instead it pushes you to pay.  However, the pay costs are truly absurd as well, with hideous amounts of money translating to full unlock, which leaves even payers grinding as well.

Ugh.  I actually loathe F2P.

Yeah. For what it's worth though, I think LoL's implementation of F2P is very well done. Yes, it takes a -long- time to permanently unlock everything, but unlocking the bare minimum is really not that demanding. Plus, the free champion rotation is a terrific feature that makes it really hard for me to complain about their model. I'm sure LoL's success has a lot to do with the ridiculous amount of F2P games on the market atm, but I can't blame them for other developpers' attempt to reproduce that success.

Well one good thing about WoT is that while it does take longer to unlock things without paying, it actually isn't "that bad".  To get to tier 10 without paying will take you a while(most likely 3k battles unless you only do one line), but at the same time tier 10's aren't always the most fun tanks to play unless you really grasp the game.  When I first started out I put my first 2k-3k battles in and simply stayed in the tier 5-7 range playing tanks like the M4 Sherman, Easy 8, T1, M6, T29, etc(mainly the Sherman) and had a blast.  Then after that I put money in and went up past tier 7 and so on.

I'll admit World of Tanks was slightly pay to win to begin with being that you could only buy some shells, equipment, and better low tier tanks with gold(in game currency).  However, this was corrected and those low tiers rebalanced/not sold anymore and everything is purchasable with credits with the option of gold.  New premium tanks are largely worse than similar tanks they are pitted against and are mainly just there to grind credits/free experience.  It might not be perfect but the model itself is hard to argue against.

Acheron- have not played any MOBA's. Not much time the last few years with my kids athletics and me coaching baseball again almost know free time. Play a little d3 on the PC and Xbox but not much else. I just ran into a f2p app called the infinite black which has some good pvp and an unexpected depth of play. The grind is a bit much but once you equip up and get past it is great to jump in and out of when I get held up in meetings, sitting around at various appointments, waiting in the car for wife to finish shopping, you get the picture.

I have recently picked up some spare time and renewed my eve accts and finally recovered the last one yesterday. Game feels new and old at the same time. My activity in it is picking up so,will see how that goes. Still miss SG though.

Been playing eve for about the last year and a half after a two year break. Was in Multiversal Inc. and took a break when things started falling apart in CH.  Was just thinking about you old guys when I found this forum.

Eve is calling you!!!!

By the way the game is far better now, really refined and balanced.  However Blobs are still an issue like in the past.  But if you stay away from Sov its really not an issue.   Small low-sec entities control all the old Cry Havoc stomping grounds and moons.