Jovan

History of IC/Einherjar?

I have a solution. Everyone starts to play World of Tanks, joins the clan I have, something, something, EHJ is revived!?!?!

You don't remember that being the deal-breaker because you had, as you said, already started ignoring the meta-organisation, focusing exclusively on EVE. It had been a few years that I hadn't had the gaming hours to hold anything together through sheer presence, so conversely 100% of my attention was on the meta-organisation, which I wanted set up for long-term survival. Certainly didn't have all the answers, but certain concepts seemed key and obvious:

- Loyalty requires value provided by the organisation to its members

- A healthy cross-section of well-supported divisions in a variety of games, where somewhat similar values are embraced, was the easiest way to provide value

- Division leaders who work together to uphold those values creates long-term sustainability

- Consistent recruitment practices provide stability to the values of each division

- A modern website with features that support these principles greatly alleviate the necessary workload

And so it's with this kind of long-term strategic backdrop that we consider Retal/MM's work on IC.com in the months leading up to the events in question. The new website featured customizable recruitment forms that would necessarily be adapted to the needs of each division but also featured a universal boiler plate section of questions to ensure all new recruits are introduced to the same expectations. It featured shared resources used indiscriminately by members of all divisions. It would feature gamification to increase the presence of EHJ members on the site. It was attractive and effective, and it would be a source of pride to EHJ members at the time.

When the things happened, I'd say the site was maybe 80% complete. I browsed it. It wasn't totally finished, but the key new sections were done and it all looked very good.

I believe the guy's name was black_necris. If it wasn't that, it was something similar. He was an EVE player, but had taken to posting in the open forums too. I forget what the exact topic of the thread was about. Something about a bank. He either robbed a bank? Or defrauded a bank, more likely. And he just kind of loudly advertised that in a thread, it was somehow on topic. I guess he felt like we'd think it was okay because 1. fuck banks/the man! and 2. it was like a Mexican bank, not a real bank. So I guess he thought we'd think it was cool or something. Obviously his comment led to a bunch of awkward tumbleweed posts and the general vibe was wow, this guy is a douche.

But MM, who had full admin rights on the site due to his work with the new version of the website, decided his comments warranted a much stronger response, so he took it upon himself to ban the douche. Kicked out of EVE-EHJ, banned from the forums, the full deal. The guy doesn't expect it / is not very bright, and basically just asks in-game (EVE) what's up with his forum access. This is how Acheron looks at the logs and sees what happens. He heads to the top private forum, visible to less than a dozen people, basically only the division leaders and the webmaster, and asks: what the fuck?

MM explains, the guy is a douche, he needs to go. Have you seen his posts? what a douche. Acheron is very mad. Obviously don't remember the full content of his replies but it's basically of the, it's not your job to decide who to kick out, leave my division alone variety. I remember making an attempt to put things in perspective by asking MM if he can figure out what the risks might be if someone outside EVE arbitrarily kicks someone inside EVE. Who is the player? Who are his friends? What might the ramification be for removing someone from a division without firsthand knowledge of the impact?

At the same time as these weak attempts at de-escalation are made, Rollin jumps into the thread and sides 100% with MM. Rollin had categorically refused to consider any question of "impact to the greater EHJ" when running the Travian division and had clashed privately with me on a number of occasions. By this point Rollin has been in "Fuck the man!!" mode for a solid year+ and this is just the next chapter of the full-fledged narrative in his mind. With Rollin flaming Acheron and I over our tyrannical attempts to impose federal control upon states rights, MM gets more indignant than ever and shit goes nowhere good fast.

MM quits, takes the 80% completed update with him. Rollin would never coordinate with anyone outside Travian ever again. Dofus, previously the most isolated division, now finds it ideological divide with the rest of the organisation totally validated. Acheron would never again concern himself with the events outside EVE, and winds up signing up for their own voice chat server. EHJ WoW blinks and asks where its friends went.

I'm not saying that we didn't get old and stopped gaming. I'm saying it didn't have to matter -- it didn't have to end this way. There are plenty of new gamers coming up and plenty of them would've made great EHJ members. But they needed to be recruited by clear-minded leadership who understood and agreed with the long-term vision. And in turn, those leaders needed to have tools to recruit and retain these members, such as the ability to leverage a huge gaming community that will welcome you with consistent values across dozens of games and a killer website that keeps our vision and principles alive.

Nothing ever only happens for a single reason. But that moment... that was the linchpin. No doubt about it.

If I recall correctly (and I may or may not), I'd been pretty annoyed for a while because the website was a creaking catastrophe that was headed for failure. Like 3-4 people had worked on it (myself included) but everyone had given up because you and Acheron were very vocal about having to be involved in every aspect if something was gonna be changed, but also not willing to put any time in to be involved. I was mostly doing smaller maintenance level stuff and it still drove me up the wall. I think retal was one or two guys after me on web admin, although I really can't remember. I don't think that was a huge issue and I dont think it ever really moved out of the handful of people involved in administration. I don't even remember the specific incident you're referring to, although siding with someone doing web admin (kind of no matter what) sounds like something I'd do.

Losing the website when it got mkfsed by some shitty hosting admin was a bigger problem, plus everyone got busy with stuff and there weren't any long-term people to build divisions that were willing to put the energy in. I was the guy that did a lot of the work to build out the EVE division before ach took it and the Travian division before I think Murph and some other people took it, and it was a lot of work. I couldn't do it these days, who's got the time.

Oh and I've been playing a bit of World of Warships on NA as RDM. That's about it these days for gaming.

Meanwhile the dofus division is still playing daily, more than 11 years after the dofus guild was founded. We're down to a few. Gaming has become more casual for all of us. In this day and age, none of us can put in the insane hours it takes to dominate servers. I call this progress not defeat.

I've moved on in my career and my life while focusing more on local settings. I mean I ran an SC2 league for 2.5 years, I work heavily with LANFest for helping to run events across the US and at PAX East... my daughter is turning 9, I just passed my 10 year anniversary, and I'm SLOWLY regrowing the my old streaming presence. We all started and spread more into our lives, but other folks like myself still game... it's just in a more casual, less overlord kind of gaming. We do have a Discord, if there is a lot of hype about a game, it could be chatted about it in real time and if there is the interest, a casual group may end up coming from it.

I think we all just got older. There was not much of a core after SG died down. For a while, the general forums grasped the attention of a few people from various divisions, but that eventually faded as peoples lives became focused elsewhere. 

Shortly after  SG, I went to college. Graduate school, earned a PhD. I'm now a scientist leading the immunology division for a cancer biotech company. I still come here to check the forums here and now, but it's been quite barren for the past few years.

FYI, my largest contribution is the "who's hot" thread, which did quite well on the old forums with all of the teenage angst. 

It's good to see a lot of familiar names. 

I think we all just got older. There was not much of a core after EHJ died down. For a while, the general forums grasped the attention of a few people from various divisions, but that eventually faded as peoples lives became focused elsewhere. 

Shortly after  SG, I went to college. Graduate school, earned a PhD. I'm now a scientist leading the immunology division for a cancer biotech company. I still come here to check the forums here and now, but it's been quite barren for the past few years.

FYI, my largest contribution is the "who's hot" thread, which did quite well on the old forums with all of the teenage angst. 

It's good to see a lot of familiar names. 

Another bio guy? I did synthetic, doing metabolic engineering now.

I started out in chemistry/biochem but switched to pure math during undergrad.  My PhD is in CS with a medical image and data analysis focus, though, so I ended up doing bio-related stuff from a different angle.

I started out in chemistry/biochem but switched to pure math during undergrad.  My PhD is in CS with a medical image and data analysis focus, though, so I ended up doing bio-related stuff from a different angle.

Haha I started out in pure math and switched to bio for grad school cause I liked bench work more.

Now I sit at a computer all day doing pathway design because CROs took all my bench work. Really good at powerpoint though.

I've been part of several communities for 10+ years, and the same thing always happens, where people get old/bored of gaming and quit.

I still love gaming, but really just don't have time to play anymore. And I'm not even married yet (But engaged). With my crazy schedule I usually get done with work at around 8:00PM, and have to get back to work at 6:00AM.

Basically playing League of Legends and Overwatch.  

SG is probably on like hundreds of reincarnations now.

Dofus was fun.  IDK if my accounts were deleted or not.

PS - just dropping by to say hello.

Basically playing League of Legends and Overwatch.  

SG is probably on like hundreds of reincarnations now.

Dofus was fun.  IDK if my accounts were deleted or not.

PS - just dropping by to say hello.

Play World of Tanks.

Also, where is Samah.

Where is Samah? Samah posted a massive mea-culpa on the unofficial dofus forums where he basically admitted to stealing from people to be the first lvl 100 tailor. I've had a brief look but can't find the link I'm afraid. I believe he gave up on math/CS (he was doing some pseudo-randum number generator stuff) to become a chef. But then, all this may be wrong because my own memory at 50 is not what it used to be. Why things like this forum slow down has been sufficiently summarised by Carny's "I think we all just got older." Plans for world domination on the back of a superior website experience for gamers are, let's say, ambitious.

Were your accounts deleted, Hanibal? Probably not. Try to log and you'll see.

Since I'm writing anyway I might as well report back even if hardly anyone here would know me unless they played dofus. I still play some dofus every day although it has become rather quiet in Einherjar (Dofus). Right now only Fecan logs daily on his new chars to keep me some company. I tried a few other games but none of them can hold my attention for long. All the fancier stuff is out anyway because I'm playing on a little MacBook Air. When I'm not playing I'm torturing under- and postgrads by teaching CS, do some research into formally verifying stuff people actually care about, drink wine, or wonder why both my wife and our 13yo daughter are so horse-crazy that they had to buy an ex-race horse. Life must be good.

I look! I'll try to visit once a year. ;) Gaming wise... consistently playing hearthstone.

Recently had wisdom teeth removed, been watching park and recs - liking it

Sorry for derailing the thread from history of IC into "where are they now?" 

--Actually not sorry. This was heading into a blame game cluster fuck. Enjoy life you old fucks. If you want to reminisce-- focus on the fun we had dominating SG or EVE, etc. 

EHJ had quite a few science nerds. I actually remember a topic we had for a while that discussed biologics. There was a "debate" on vaccines. These days I wouldn't even participate in a discussion that misinformed---not worth my time. 

Glad to hear about all of the PhDs. Where are you guys located?  I recently moved to NJ because its a biomedical hub, but man this place sucks ass. 

New Jersey doesn't suck(South NJ at least).  I'm located at the southern most tip of NJ though.  I will say this thread got a few people it seems to hop back on WoT and/or start playing it.  Feel free to hit me up in game if anyone wants in our semi-active but totally not dead EHJ clan Vanaheimr by messaging C_Menz

Sorry for derailing the thread from history of IC into "where are they now?" 

--Actually not sorry. This was heading into a blame game cluster fuck. Enjoy life you old fucks. If you want to reminisce-- focus on the fun we had dominating SG or EVE, etc. 

EHJ had quite a few science nerds. I actually remember a topic we had for a while that discussed biologics. There was a "debate" on vaccines. These days I wouldn't even participate in a discussion that misinformed---not worth my time. 

Glad to hear about all of the PhDs. Where are you guys located?  I recently moved to NJ because its a biomedical hub, but man this place sucks ass. 

What the fuck NJ is a biomed hub? Did boston get sick of one shitty nanny state and move into another? Not that I can say anything I live in westchester now.

I remember some of those threads with vaccines and climate change and shit and being like... its not fucking science if you read it on facebook you fucks. 

I was never in the Ituron Cavalry, But I joined The first incarnation of Einherjar. When after a big patch in Shattered Galaxy and factions got scrambled and the clan I was in lead by RiceJ and I think Muaddib not sure its been A LONG time (cant remember the name now I think it was Iron Gurillas) merged with IC to make Einherjar. 

I still kinda miss old SG it was a great game. I spend most my gaming time now playing DOTA2.

I stopped playing. Im sorry, but there were so many drugs and girls i just didn't have time. Then I started working more. I just saw an add for dofus touch and thought i would jump on old backpak to see what was up and jumped back to the forums. I miss my whore MoP. :( The meet ups were what helped keep things together and the dedication to debauchery, and shared love of buttseks and our hate of pants.