Sign in to follow this  
mrln

Drill baby drill

Hey Innex, you heard anything down there about how bad this spill is going to be on the fish where you cast your line? This has really put a kink in all the talks in my state(SC) about off-shore drilling, and as someone who loves the coast more than anywhere, I'm glad.

The spill could turn into one of the biggest in U.S. history. An estimated 5,000 barrels a day of oil are flowing from the well, and officials said it could take up to 90 days to cap it, making for volumes that could exceed the 1989 Exxon Valdez disaster in Alaska and a 1969 accident in Santa Barbara, Calif.

Source: WSJ

I have a funny feeling that these guys cut corners when they made the rig(isn't it new?). Quality takes a backseat for profit, right? Apparently the oil spill is visible from the space station, that's how bad it is...

I have a funny feeling that these guys cut corners when they made the rig(isn't it new?). Quality takes a backseat for profit, right? Apparently the oil spill is visible from the space station, that's how bad it is...

I'm sure the design of the rig has to be approved per some building codes. I'm not sure if the rig was installed in LA, US or international water, but they would all have their own building codes. If it turns out that their were design/ building defects the engineer/ contractors will be fucked. I also heard some figure that BP is losing like 6mill a day on this fuck up, and that doesn't include possible clean up of the oil reaching the LA coastline.

Also, I believe I heard that the administration is postponing all talks/voting on future off shore oil drilling until the review of the BP rig is complete. I'm sure that the reason for the failure must also be satisfactory that is was an isolated incident and will not happen in possible future oil rigs.

This will just give them another reason to tack on 5 more cents to the cost of gas, on top of the ecological impact, nothing good is coming out of this.

BP built it, then contracted the running of it out to the lowest bidder. BP is losing 6 mil a day, but since that shit is fucking up the coast, they're going to also foot the cost of repairing it - which could be billions, especially when the oil reaches marshlands

Offshore drilling is stupid IMO. It takes like 10-15 years for proper scouting, building of the rig, then reach full production. By then our alternative sources will be working even better and we won't need them. IMO "Drill Baby Drill!" is just some stupid phrase people could easily chant at political rallies.

Personally I find this kind of thing tremendously depressing. Because some corporate group was concerned about profit over the priceless value of the ocean or the coastline, insufficient measures to both prevent such explosions as well as horrible backup plans for capping the well are all they had. Exxon paid 250 million in punitive damages for the Exxon Valdes 20 years ago; there's still oil on the shores out there. That kind of shit drives me nuts.

It may drive you nuts, but you wouldn't be living the way you live now without oil.

Until our alternative sources of energy are legit in functioning as more than a token gesture, we will be tied to oil.

Just give me a ballpark for percents in terms of where energy comes from, please don't google first.

1) Oil

2) Wind

3) Hydro

4) Nuclear

5) Coal

6) Solar

7) Tidal

8) Other

All I care about is the fishing. Innex? Someone up here jokingly said it will be 10yrs before you can go spot tail fishing down there.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/forum/general-fishing-information/drill-baby-drill

This is a BIG deal, as it will impact the fishing population for years to come. It almost makes me cry sometimes, as to the amount of shit we put into our waters. The gulf of mexico will be the next Ganges River--Polution-wise. It's already being talked about in the masses by local fishermen. The wildlife in Florida is a huge symbiotic circle, where if one species dies off, everything will unravel.

GULF OF MEXICO OIL SPILL NOW COVERS 1,800 MILES - "Coast Guard crews raced to protect the Gulf of Mexico coastline Monday as a remote sub tried to shut off an underwater oil well that's gushing 42,000 gallons a day from the site of a wrecked drilling platform. If crews cannot stop the leak quickly, they might need to drill another well to redirect the oil, a laborious process that could take weeks while oil washes up along a broad stretch of shore, from the white-sand beaches of Florida's Panhandle to the swamps of Louisiana. The oil spill already stretches across more than 1,800 square miles of water in the Gulf Of Mexico, according to the Coast Guard

It may drive you nuts, but you wouldn't be living the way you live now without oil.

Until our alternative sources of energy are legit in functioning as more than a token gesture, we will be tied to oil.

What's your point? It takes 10-15 years, min, for a new platform to actually produce. And given the horrific side effects of shit like this, wouldn't developing other things which can produce energy, quicker, and with fewer side effects be a better expenditure of our money?

Just give me a ballpark for percents in terms of where energy comes from, please don't google first.

1) Oil

2) Wind

3) Hydro

4) Nuclear

5) Coal

6) Solar

7) Tidal

8) Other

In the US oil and coal are the prime drivers, nuclear 3rd, hydro 4th (maybe hydro / nuclear switch), rest insignificant.

Yeah man, I thought it would be a big deal, I feel for you. If something like this were to happen on SC coasts I would be devastated.

Yeah, I could only imagine if Folly Beach, IOP or even the Battery were affected by an oil spill like this. Charleston's tourism industry would die in a matter of days, which would likely mean death for the city.

In the US oil and coal are the prime drivers, nuclear 3rd, hydro 4th (maybe hydro / nuclear switch), rest insignificant.

In other non 3rd world countries it's different? I've got to imagine oil is at the top of any developed country.

Bah, I only know the rankings for Electrical Generation. Coal, Nuclear, Natural Gas, everything else. 2 New Nuke plants are supposed to come on line in the next year or so which will eat into the Coal percentage.

In other non 3rd world countries it's different? I've got to imagine oil is at the top of any developed country.

Dunno. France has a lot more nuclear than the US does, for example. Not that it matters; the solution to oil dependency isn't to increase oil production.

Yar, we nearly 80-85% from coal, gas, and oil with about 8% nuclear and 7% "other." Breaking down the "other" shows about 1% solar, 10% wind, and 40% hydro (within that 7%).

So, we somehow have to make that 80-85% up with the other bits... We are talking about an insane amount of investment. The shear number of wind turbines we would need to power even 20% is really hard to imagine.

well yeah, its a lot of work. we're basically going to have to re-engineer 200 years of industrialization powered by fossil fuels. but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

well yeah, its a lot of work. we're basically going to have to re-engineer 200 years of industrialization powered by fossil fuels. but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

We either do it now when it's not a crisis because we've run out of oil, or we do it once we've run out of oil and it's become a crisis.

I know what American politicians are going to do.

Speaking of wind energy, Massachusetts is still working on getting the wind farm installed. Already there are "environmentalists" and locals complaining about it. "It will ruin the look of the coastline. I challenge anyone to spot a 100ft tall turbine 30 miles away.Morons like these hold back innovation.

Yar, we nearly 80-85% from coal, gas, and oil with about 8% nuclear and 7% "other." Breaking down the "other" shows about 1% solar, 10% wind, and 40% hydro (within that 7%).

So, we somehow have to make that 80-85% up with the other bits... We are talking about an insane amount of investment. The shear number of wind turbines we would need to power even 20% is really hard to imagine.

That doesn't seem quite right. I know hydro is more then 5% of the total energy production. Nuclear in the US is closer to 20%, too.

Of course, oil's pretty small-scale in electricity; coal's the big part, followed by natural gas. I think straight oil-fired is less then 5% of the total.

I think you're going to start seeing a lot more pumped-hydro storage driven by wind farms in the next decade or two. Concentrated solar has a big upside too.

Speaking of wind energy, Massachusetts is still working on getting the wind farm installed. Already there are "environmentalists" and locals complaining about it. "It will ruin the look of the coastline. I challenge anyone to spot a 100ft tall turbine 30 miles away.Morons like these hold back innovation.

I think I heard something about them getting a farm approved 5 miles off shore and a lot of the $$ people in the area are complaining about it (including the Kennedy family).