Sign in to follow this  
Deity

2010 World Cup

I'm sure they'd be more interested in getting more USA attention on soccer. Yeah, that's right, I actually think it was an honest match. Boo me.

I didn't watch the game either. I did watch England vs Germany and I liked the result as well as the match.

I didn't watch the game either. I did watch England vs Germany and I liked the result as well as the match.

What did I hear about an England goal that wasn't called?

Yeah, it would have tied the game 2-2. Oh well, sadly it's part of the game. Same thing happened to my team (Italy) twice (a goal that should have been and a goal that shouldn't have been nullified). They deserved to lose though, playing like they did.

I did find Germany to be very offensive. Even winning 2-1 and 3-1 they kept attacking like they were losing 0-1. Really enjoyed watching them play.

I did find Germany to be very offensive. Even winning 2-1 and 3-1 they kept attacking like they were losing 0-1. Really enjoyed watching them play.

So it's offensive for a team to want to do well and dominate?

I agree. That game was very open and exciting to watch. I believe Germany plays Argentina next, which could also result in a very high pace game!

Hi folks.

No one goes to World Cup to play clean soccer cuz clean soccer does not exist.

The game is fine as it is now, with exception of technology for goal detection. England = clowns.. they will still lose even if the referee award them the 2nd goal in Round 2.

When the curtain of finals falls, its one of the Big Three (Italy, Germany, Brazil) who are taking turns to grab the Cup in a cycling manner; not much to speculate in World Cup really. Watching World Cup is only to see how events unfold and pan to the same results that has been haunting the World Cup like a plague for many decades. France was an accident.. one-time champion is hardly a true champ.. Brazil of 1998 finals was garbage anyway.

18 World Cup tournaments: 9 won by South Americans, 9 won by Europeans,

Brazil (5), Argentina (2), Uruguay (2).

Italy (4), Germany (3), England (1), France (1).

My thoughts: World Cup 2010 finals is gonna be Brazil vs Germany, and the Cup gong home with the Germans.. although my heart is screaming for Argentina, cuz the pages of history could use a third legend to win the World Cup as player and coach.. :P

USA #1 USA #1

oh wait.

:(:(:(:(:((

also, i want argentina to win. but i also feel for some strange reason they are doomed to fail.

WE SHALL SEE.

In superstitious way, for the past few decades since England won its first World Cup in 1966, the Cup has been bouncing between South America and Europe, with one continent winning the Cup and the other taking it in the next tournament.

England 1966

Brazil 1970

West Germany 1974

Argentina 1978

Italy 1982

Argentina 1986

West Germany 1990

Brazil 1994

France 1998

Brazil 2002

Italy 2006

2010 = Argentina???

Conspiracy theory :P

wow, i did not see this coming at all. germany completely creamed argentina. i think germany's gotta be the favorite now, as they've totally demolished their previous 2-3 opponents.

Would of loved to see brazil v. germany; I was hoping Ghana would of made it another day, but when I saw it coming to a shootout, Uruguay was def. favored. Ghana penalty shot choked.

I think it will go down to Holland vs Germany, though I'd like to see Uruguay make it :)

Uruguay is the only country I really want to lose. That handball was downright horrific, that guy should be banned from the World Cup for his life for that shit. That blatant, unsportsmanlike penalty cost another more-deserving country its chance to advance to the next round. Fuck Uruguay!

Uruguay is the only country I really want to lose. That handball was downright horrific, that guy should be banned from the World Cup for his life for that shit. That blatant, unsportsmanlike penalty cost another more-deserving country its chance to advance to the next round. Fuck Uruguay!

I think it was a smart play. Without it they would of lost, instead he gets his read card and the guy chokes. He changed the odds of the ball going in from 100% to roughly 80% and it worked. When I was in high school the same thing happened(what are the chances). One of our defenders punched the ball out in extra time and they missed the pk. We won in a shootout and it put us in the state finals. You only get a chance at the WC every 4 years and if you are a star player you will get about 3 chances in your career at it. You do whatever it takes within reason to win it.

I think it was a smart play. Without it they would of lost, instead he gets his read card and the guy chokes. He changed the odds of the ball going in from 100% to roughly 80% and it worked. When I was in high school the same thing happened(what are the chances). One of our defenders punched the ball out in extra time and they missed the pk. We won in a shootout and it put us in the state finals. You only get a chance at the WC every 4 years and if you are a star player you will get about 3 chances in your career at it. You do whatever it takes within reason to win it.

Hmm, remind me why again I don't like a sport where you can be crowned victorious through exploitation of the rules to your advantage and winning through dirty tactics and not hard work and sportsmanship?

It worked, but that doesn't mean its the right play. What he did was basically decide that his desire to get to the WC finals was more important than the other team's, so he robbed an entire country of what it played well enough to deserve - an advance. It was a selfish, unsportsmanlike decision - and it reveals how much of a prick that guy must be to make that decision.

Just because the result ended up good for his country doesn't mean the decision was right.

It worked, but that doesn't mean its the right play. What he did was basically decide that his desire to get to the WC finals was more important than the other team's, so he robbed an entire country of what it played well enough to deserve - an advance. It was a selfish, unsportsmanlike decision - and it reveals how much of a prick that guy must be to make that decision.

Just because the result ended up good for his country doesn't mean the decision was right.

Same can be said about any missed calls by referees, any Dive, any missed goal. Just because the infraction happened near the end doesn't mean its any worse than it happening at any other time in the game.

But yeah, I think *Soccer* is a crock of shit with the inconsistency, lack of sportsmanship, and simple lack of willingness to adapt.

I guess I can understand where everyone is coming from with saying it was and unsportsmanlike tactic. I have played soccer since I was 5 years old and the simple fact that it has always been a "dirty" sport. You have 1 ref trying to control 22 players, some things are going to get missed. I can't say with a 100% that every player in the WC would have done the same thing but it would be close to it, including myself if I was in that position. In every sport there is calculated cheating. In football you can get called for pass interference in the endzone and its not a TD, its put on the 1 yard line. And once again the simple fact is a player missed a free kick from 12 yards away. He didn't make the goalkeeper save it, he just plainly missed.

Same can be said about any missed calls by referees, any Dive, any missed goal. Just because the infraction happened near the end doesn't mean its any worse than it happening at any other time in the game.

But yeah, I think *Soccer* is a crock of shit with the inconsistency, lack of sportsmanship, and simple lack of willingness to adapt.

Not really. Missed calls and missed goals are due to player or official error, not intentional misconduct. Dives are often made fun of and bring shame to players who do them, especially by announcers, and I hold those in the same category. Dives are why I have a hard time watching the NBA (fucking Paul Pierce), even though I very much enjoy watching the sport in general. I also generally enjoy watching soccer.

Didnt expect Argentina to go down so bad... lol

Well, cheating is human nature.

Soccer, being a large game with 22 players is where human error and cheating is easily unavoidable.

Player would risk it to cheat and it sometimes pays off- think Maradona's classic Hand of God in 1986.

Players would taunt and make opponent do stupid things and get the red card - think Zidane's headbutt in 2006.

Players would fake to gain free kicks or penalty kicks - think Voller faking for the winning penalty kick in 1990.

Like it or not, its part of the game and its strategy.

Soccer casts a spell on its fans when players dribble with legs that are swifter and faster than what many could do with their hands.

FIFA World Cup, being the world's most prestigious sports event, is where real soccer is played.

Go Germany go! :)