Sign in to follow this  
Deity

2010 World Cup

Why not just tie their hands and use action replay to check injuries/goals first?

Because apparently cheating adds to the allure of the sport. I really don't understand how you can take a defensible position on on-purpose hand balls, diving, and other things. It just goes completely against my ideals and makes any sport entirely not enjoyable.

Every sport has its cheating, Football has it's receivers acting like the catch a pass, or Qb's faking being hit hard. Baseball has fielders faking a close catch, and pitchers not pitching off of the rubber on the mound. Hockey has players who high stick and hit people violently against the rules when the refs are not looking.

Soccer isn't any different, if you dont like it just dont watch or follow it. Not really hard to do.

Every sport has its cheating, Football has it's receivers acting like the catch a pass, or Qb's faking being hit hard. Baseball has fielders faking a close catch, and pitchers not pitching off of the rubber on the mound. Hockey has players who high stick and hit people violently against the rules when the refs are not looking.

Soccer isn't any different, if you dont like it just dont watch or follow it. Not really hard to do.

Except unlike soccer, these are reviewed after the match and penalized accordingly.

"Baseball fielders faking a close catch"? I'm not sure what you mean.

And "Pitchers not pitching off of the rubber"? I've never seen that either. This goal kick is akin to someone in baseball pulling the ball out of someones mit and chucking it into the stands.

The rampant diving and handball shit that we have seen in this WC isn't even the biggest issue, even comparatively, soccer's violations are much larger than in impact than other sports. You fake a penalty well in Soccer and you can play with an extra person for the rest of the game. Where as in baseball, football, or hockey, a faked penalty is minor in comparison.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a listed argument comparing the sports. You would be fooling yourself if you ignored what was said. Soccer has evolved into something it wasn't 30 years ago. There weren't flops or rampant handballs. What soccer needs to do is acknowledge this new addition to the game and correct it appropriately. Add a new level of infraction, or allow for post-infraction review. Add a referee. Add instant replay. Something to make it a better.

While we're at it, basketball has the same problem with 'charging' and too much influence on games by officials. But one thing basketball has done is tried to improve their rules based on changes to the game.

I never understood why in Basketball a few chosen people are allowed to take 4-5 steps on their way to the hoop while mere mortals get pulled up for "travelling".

Back on topic, fuck FIFA for ruining a potentially good sport.

When the curtain of finals falls, its one of the Big Three (Italy, Germany, Brazil) who are taking turns to grab the Cup in a cycling manner; not much to speculate in World Cup really.

Well the Big Three is down to the Big One right now. ;)

I don't watch soccer or even care about soccer. Sure, I have a tinge of patriotism when America does well, but that's about the extent of my feelings toward it.

However...

After all of the controversy/publicity surrounding the World Cup, I've seen a lot more soccer played on sports day (generally on Fridays). It used to be Ultimate Football/Frisbee that was the big sport, but I see a lot of units with soccer balls playing soccer. Before now, it was rare, limited to groups of guys that actually like sport playing it on their own time.

Just thought all you soccer fans might appreciate that your sport is at least picking up in popularity in some places.

I don't watch soccer or even care about soccer. Sure, I have a tinge of patriotism when America does well, but that's about the extent of my feelings toward it.

However...

After all of the controversy/publicity surrounding the World Cup, I've seen a lot more soccer played on sports day (generally on Fridays). It used to be Ultimate Football/Frisbee that was the big sport, but I see a lot of units with soccer balls playing soccer. Before now, it was rare, limited to groups of guys that actually like sport playing it on their own time.

Just thought all you soccer fans might appreciate that your sport is at least picking up in popularity in some places.

But are you just noticing it more now that you are looking for it or has it actually increased?

But are you just noticing it more now that you are looking for it or has it actually increased?

Good question.

I very rarely see folks play soccer. It happens, but it's rare. For two or three weeks, I have seen a lot of soccer playing.

Good question.

I very rarely see folks play soccer. It happens, but it's rare. For two or three weeks, I have seen a lot of soccer playing.

And that will continue for a week, 2 tops after the world cup is done and they will go back to ultimate frisbee/football

spain vs germany was a shitty shitty match

it was so lame. spain kept missing. germany didn't do shit until spain scored. in fact I think germany let spain win.

the germany vs argentina match which was actually exciting

Spain's game was boring to watch.. i almost dozed off.. hopefully the Oranje learn from Germany's mistake. Offense is the best defense.. the Germans could be disturbed by what that stupid octopus did, and cracked under pressure.. LOL :P

I wanted to watch the game but somehow the channel ended up streaming some sort of 11 on 11 fight. Oh wait...

Other than that, great finals. I rooted for Spain, but I hope that next time Holland makes it to the finals, they win.

its refreshing to see a new face as world cup champion.

other than the 80s, seems like a new face would hit the crown for every decade or so.

1966 UK, twelve years later with Argentina, another twenty years later with France, and now twelve years later with Spain.

but honestly, the final match was total bollocks.

i think holland turned FIFA world cup into WWE world cup.

while Spain has really skillful players, their cautious stance made the most boring finals to watch.

passing, passing and more passing, its like watching table tennis going yoyo at turtle pace.