numbers

laptop

Do it.

I'm looking to purchase a good laptop - don't care about company, more about performance. It'd be used mainly for work, so don't care much about a good vid card in it (I doubt I'd regret it, but who knows).

Good price is always a plus.

If you don't care about video, and don't use video for work purposes, then you can get a laptop capable of doing like office type shit for very cheap, say $400-500.

I'd get a core2-based machine as they're generally pretty good on battery life. The newer chips (i3, i5, i7) are also good but are more performance-related and therefore more expensive. I bought a core i5 laptop with video card and 17" monitor for $800 from HP, but it is probably more computer than you need.

Screen size? Weight? Batt life?

Not more than 15/17, relatively light, not sure about battery life (or how long they typicall last these days so hard to say, but wouldn't mind not having to plug in ever few hours)

How you liking yours, disco

i like it a lot. i use it for architectural drafting, which these days involves fairly intensive 3d modeling and rendering, along with the occasional game. here's a link to it:

mine

You might consider something like:

this

probably does everything a work computer needs to, will be light-ish, and will have decent battery life since its 15" monitor you won't be playing games or shit like that. $530 with base setup and free upgrade to 4gb ram.

Also if you buy from any major manufacturer, just do a google search for "<company name> coupon" and you'll be amazed. Doing that when I bought mine saved me $200.

Is that the HP Envy you got, disco? I've heard they are great for the money and go for pretty cheap on sales often.

No, I got a dv7t. Envy's started too high for my budget, and their performance wasn't that much better. Mine has 4gb ram, a 1gb video card, and a i5 430 at like 2.3 ghz. Combine with a 17" screen and its ease of running a second 22" monitor and i can do all the work i want. Last semester I was running a full-scale, intensive 3d rendering on one screen while playing video games and poker on the second. And the rendering still finished faster than my friend's computer.

A base envy machine with the same specs as mine (which cost $800) starts at $1300 right now. I'm not entirely sure why, I'm guessing its the design or something.

Nice. I guess that is why they can have those sales on the Envy at the price you paid. Similar computer, different "hyped" name.

Yeah, I guess. They might be lighter, too. Not worth it, imo.

What do you guys think about a survey like this?

I'm trying to help my sister buy a relatively cheap ($400-600 total) laptop, and while HP seems like it has some good deals, they rank dead last in reliability in that article.

Also, is it ever a good idea to not buy a warranty on a laptop?

i got mine with a 3 year warranty too. i could have gotten a more reliable laptop for the same amount sans warranty. but, meh. i like warranties ever since my last one died and lenovo denied there was a problem for 2 years.

Asus makes quality laptops. Pretty sure they have the lowest failure rates in recent polls/tests. Most (if ordered online from reputable place) not only have a 2-3 year warranty, but also carry a 1-year ACCIDENTAL warranty... meaning you can dump a 32 oz slurpee on it and be covered.

Asus U30Jc looks decent, too bad it's 13"

I'm thinking I want at least a 15 or 17. Honestly, I'd want either a decent $1,000 laptop or a good laptop just for work for $500 (if not less).

if you have an asus hardon, this isn't a bad computer for $800. would be able to do decent amounts of gaming, 15" monitor, relatively light, pretty powerful. probably too powerful for just bidness.

this is also not bad, and is $150 cheaper.

Asus in general run more expensive than others, probably because that warranty comes included with all of them.

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8850-built-clevo-w880cu-gaming-laptop-order-p-2798.html

*throws out the office idea for the a minute*

How about a laptop just as good as a pc? :D

That thing is sexy.

I was looking into one of these...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220704&Tpk=asus%20g73

Mobile hd5870 performs like a desktop 5770 (which is what I'm using now).

Then I saw Best Buy's chopped down model and was about an hour away from going to grab one...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+/+17.3%22+Display+/+6GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/9741729.p?id=1218165344675&skuId=9741729&st=asus%20g73&cp=1&lp=1

Then I decided I hate laptops and bought that Dell refurb cheap as dirt and turns out I can still game on it if I need. Got lucky with carting it and coupons, though.

Haven't bought one yet, but I really need to get one sometime. I'd really like to buy one in the next weekish.

I'm thinking $1,000-$2,000 price range for quality; will be for work mainly, maybe use it for diablo 3 too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220700

^ doesn't look too bad; however, I'm thinking smaller would be better (even if it can't run games), since I'm more interested in having it for work (traveling). So.. maybe ignore the $1,000-$2,000 price and just go lower.

If you want an nvidia gpu, wait another month or two for the 4xx mobile series to come out. Will use much less power, have dx11, and tear up the 3 series.

If you want one now that'll play games decently and is inexpensive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115796

No idea how Acer's customer service and warranty are.

Laptops are like TVs for me, though. I need to play with a similar model in person to make sure I like the keyboard and mouse.

how the hell is that one so cheap; too big of a screen though i'm thinking but i'd need to go see if it's practical in person.

If I Was using it in one set location, I could care less about size/weight.. btu I'll be moving it around daily.

It is cheap because the casing is all plastic. Plus the keyboard and such are probably low-end. Might not be durable enough to lug around.

I was just looking again recently at laptops and went to Staples, Best Buy, Office Max, etc. All of them had their little flaws. I personally can't stand the single-bar mouse clicker, how many of the companies are shifting the trackpad over to the left (feels unnatural when I click), how some of the trackpads aren't recessed and are so close to the keyboard (accidentally hit the shit), and all these glossy surfaces and screens.

I actually saw a core i3 acer 15.6" at Office Max for $479. It wasn't glossy, had great specs for the right price, but did have the single clicker and trackpad positioned oddly.

Dell 14r and 15r are what I'm looking at next. Need something portable that can actually sit on the bed or chair or lap (no discrete gpu) so the girly can use it as her primary PC.

lmk how it goes

Also, jay.. let me know if you ever see a good dell refurb deal up; I'd love to replace my current computer with a great deal.

How does the warranty work on those?

Other requirement: less than 6 lb

When you buy a Dell refurb, most of them come with a 1 year in-home diagnosis and mail-in (or total in-home service). However, when you check out with them from the outlet, you can add better warranty plans. It is pretty awesome. Obviously Dell customer service is extremely annoying to deal with, but when you do finally reach someone on the phone that isn't a moron then they take care of you. Took about two hours of being bounced around to 20 diff menus and 8 different people to get my XPS replaced after a couple months of use.

About two weeks ago they had 20% off. Wish I knew you still needed one. Dell 15r were as low as $450 shipped after coupon.

Next time one of those refurb deals comes up, I'll post it here.