Sign in to follow this  
Innex

Android or Iphone4

Ok so my dad foolishly upgraded my cell phone # (im on his family plan), so he could get a 40 dollar phone for free. The next upgrade is not until March. So should i add another line to the account and pay an extra $10, +$30(data), and upgrade to a smartphone, or should I wait until march and get whatever new phones are out then?

As far as the droid vs droid... well now ima throw galaxy fascinate into that, i was playing with it at the store and i think I actually like it better than the droids. It would be between the galaxy fascinate and the droid X. What should i do?

The Galaxy has slightly updated hardware, but honestly, it's insignificant. The Galaxy has a sharper screen than any other android phone at the moment, while the Droid X has more screen real estate. Beyond just picking them up and getting a literal "feel" for them, there's not much differentiating them.

Well, the Droid X has Android 2.2, while Samsung is still shuffling its feet on getting that out. I think you can root the phone and apply a 3rd party update if it means that much to you, though.

alright i just ordered the samsung fascinate thru wirefly. $70 dollars, plus annual insurance of $70 a year, they say no deductable and covers everything....

why are you paying $70 to insure a $70 phone for a year ?

im paying 70 dollars to insure a 600 dollar phone. phone is $70 thru wirefly + contract. for a replacement the phone is $600.

Just got the Samsung Fascinate in the mail last night. Liking it a lot so far, however setting up my @live email was the most annoying process ever. Setting up gmail was instant. Having a task manager and ability to have multiple apps open at once is pretty cool, however its pretty easy to forget you have 1000 processes open, i imagine you can bog down the system without using a task manager app killer app.

I wish the phone had a physical camera shutter button on the outside of the phone instead of having to press the touch screen, but it is still very responsive regardless, and the camera opens up very quickly.

Phone is incredibly light feeling, almost feels like its a cheap POS, but after playing with it for a while it feels pretty well built.

Granted, i've only had this phone for a few hours, but so far it's amazing.

For anyone that cares, the battery life of the fascinate was terrible, dead in like 5 hours. And the GPS didnt work AT ALL. I downloaded 2 apps yesterday, now my phone lasts for 2 days on light use, and the gps works instantly. I dont know why you need a 3rd party app to fix the phones issues---but now the phone is great. I really like it ;) And i recommend it to anyone that maybe wants a droid X but doesnt want something so big, cuz the screens are fairly similar in size -- fascinate is 4" droid x 4.3"

For anyone that cares, the battery life of the fascinate was terrible, dead in like 5 hours. And the GPS didnt work AT ALL. I downloaded 2 apps yesterday, now my phone lasts for 2 days on light use, and the gps works instantly. I dont know why you need a 3rd party app to fix the phones issues---but now the phone is great. I really like it ;) And i recommend it to anyone that maybe wants a droid X but doesnt want something so big, cuz the screens are fairly similar in size -- fascinate is 4" droid x 4.3"

the battery life was terrible on my samsung galaxy (same phone as yours) until i ran it until it died then charged it overnight, no 3rd party apps needed. whatd you get that made the gps work better tho? mine isn't terrible but sometimes i lose gps lock when i'm driving around, not even at high speeds...

Battery life on all these smart phones is compromised when you have multi-tasking bluetooth, gps on. They are like netbooks with tiny batteries.

the battery life was terrible on my samsung galaxy (same phone as yours) until i ran it until it died then charged it overnight, no 3rd party apps needed. whatd you get that made the gps work better tho? mine isn't terrible but sometimes i lose gps lock when i'm driving around, not even at high speeds...

I did a full discharge (even tho it says don't do this cuz it ruins battery), and it still died often. I downloaded Juice Defended (free) to fix the battery (it disables 3g, gps, etc when u not using them) Main thing is disabling the 3g when u not using it, as soon as it did that my phone lasted for days on light use instead of hours. And to fix my gps issues, i downloaded GPS Status (free), and now my gps snaps on instantly (used to take anywhere from 10 min to never), and it is accurate now, it used to have me about 1/2 a mile off most of the time.

These are both free for the basic versions, u can buy the versions with more features if u want.

I is looking at getting a Galaxy from AT+T for xmas / birthday. I heard it took Samsung forever to get android 2.2 rolled out, and with 2.3 a couple weeks away, should I wait for a 2.3 phone? Or should I trust that Samsung is going to be upgrading it and put in the phone request with the proper authorities? Thing I figure is that, if it took them 3 months to get android 2.2 rolled out, it will take them as long to get android 3 out (if not longer). And seeing how 3 is supposed to have all these nice things, this might be a bad time to hop in the market.

Yeah, they are really slow at rolling out software, you can root hack a galaxy s and get the software a little bit quicker, but not much quicker, its still delayed to hell. If having 2.3 matters that much to you, then dont get one, I find 2.1 works plenty fine to tie me over to 2.2 --- 2.3

I don't really know anything about the operating system, to be honest. All I know is a friend who knows things said android 3 would be a lot better, and if samsung is slow at rolling out OS's, then that might be a problem. I don't really know much more about cell phones other than what I've read here. If you say its not a problem, its probably not.

2.2 was a big improvement for me over 2.1, but I have the Motorola Droid which is one of the few left with a 500MHz chip. Most of them are on a 1GHz now, so I feel like we Droids feel every little improvement more so than those who can just blaze through worse code.

I really can't stress enough how much I love my Droid. Hands down the best phone I've ever had. Also, there is a lot to be said about the design, beyond the software. I've dropped this thing more times than I like to think about, and it still runs great. I've finally got a small chip in my screen that is barely noticeable, but it hasn't effected the touch screen at all.

I've got multiple friends and family who have an Iphone 4 and only dropped it once and the entire screen shattered.

I'm with Mrln. I've had mine for nearly a year now, and it is by far the best phone that I've ever owned. It also is not my first 'smart phone'.

My one complaint is that I do find that some new apps aren't running as well as they should be. This is due to the 500mhz chip that is in the Droid. The Droid 2 though has the 1ghz chip and blazes through everything.

Just to add my voice to the chorus: bought the original Moto Droid the day it came out, and never looked back. I've also dropped mine a couple of times, and all it got a few nicks that no-one notices until I point them out. By comparison with the new hotness, yes, the chip could be faster. In a year, though, it's not going to matter.

Ah....looks like I found Einherjars' Android-Fanboy-Division

Honestly, what are the advantages of the Android OS vs iOS? Its hard to extract a decent pro/con argument from this thread. Seems its all about how ppl like their androids, cause they can drop them on the floor :P

Disclaimer:

No, I do not own or have owned an Iphone....in fact I have never owned a smartphone.

Yes, apparently there is much more to it (as i can see from this thread), like dropping it on the floor is. But what is so lovable about all android phones that the actual handling/things you can do on IT vs Other smartphones does not need to be discussed anymore?

Correct me if i am wrong, but I have not found an argument in here that would at least hint as to what features inside on an android phone (yes i actually plan on using it and do not want to drop it much) there are that would convince me to buy one. What can it do better.

Oh and same goes for Iphones, are there arguments why ppl think that it may actually be better than an Android phones? (if i do not drop it on the floor, where it seems to perform inferior)

i want an android phone because i hate steve jobs, don't want apple's marketplace, and don't like apple's interface and lack of multi-tasking.

zzzz

Ok since I am obviously failing in catching Deity's interest, lets try some questions. And ok I have over-trolled the dropping discussion, will stop that.

If I am going to get me a smartphone I am planning on doing a few things, not necessarily in order of importance, but trying to see how good these would work on either phone:

1. Getting things done software.

2. Browsing (does Android have Flash and if yes, are you using it while browsing?)

3. RSS-feed reading.

4. Podcast listening (I want over the air downloads and storing them in a decent Archive where I can listen them even when off air)

5. Syncing of files onto the device (PDFs especially and text files), and being able to read PDFs

I am taking videos and music as kind of a given. Also I actually like the idea of getting updates for the phone system and software updates to me. How does updating work on Androids? Also is a Windows phone an option yet or are they too new to judge them yet?

How good are the displays on the Androids? Have only seen the retina display briefly and it seemed a lot better that other PDA/Ipod displays I have seen so far.

1. It is amazing how the apps can integrate into the OS itself. The best ones latch on to everything. For instance, if I click an address in someone's signature, it will automatically run Google Maps and bring up that address. The speech to text is equally amazing. It has got to be the safest phone out there in terms of driving. I can say "email eric hey man you want to get lunch?" and it gets it 9.5/10

2. It has flash, but I almost don't like it. Flash is just too cpu intensive, and there are too many bad developers.

3. google.com/reader is awesome. And an example of the OS intergrating, I have a bookmark to http://www.google.com/reader in my browser. Since I go there to much, instead of launching the browser and going to bookmarks, I just create a shortcut on my home screen to that bookmark. So with one click, it launches the browser and already has me logged into my reader. I have this same thing done for espn scoreboard (there webpage is better than any app out there) and google tasks.

4. The only podcast app I use is Listen, which is pretty nice, but the best thing about it? Doesn't require Itunes. I would never install Itunes on my machine in order to manage my podcasts. That has to be one of the bulkiest programs ever made. I do use librivox a lot, and I can click an ogg or mp3 and it will automatically launch winamp and start streaming it. The streaming on Verizon's network is amazing. I can use Music Box or TubeMate and download new music at 150k/s

5. You can read PDFs on the android fine, but they are normally laid out for big screens, so it isn't a limitation of the PDF reader, but more a design flaw in the people creating pdfs.

6. Even though my droid is old, I still think the display is great. When a blackberry users sees my Google Maps running in my car dock, they are always amazed at the clarity. Biggest problem is the sun glare can get bad. The Samsung screens look very nice, but I would have a big ass skin one of those things if I owned one, because I know I would break it.

...some questions...

1. Getting things done software.

I can use my unrooted phone to SSH in to work, and either use VNC over the SSH tunnel to have remote access to my Windows desktop, or login directly to my Linux box. Free. From my goddamn phone.

"Get things done" is a little vague, though. Quickoffice is great for reading Word & Excel docs, Adobe released a legit PDF reader. I have a decent sketch program and a text editor that does all I need it to (encrypt, lock, and backup remotely). Google Maps and the GPS are the best thing in the universe. These are all free.

2. Browsing (does Android have Flash and if yes, are you using it while browsing?)

The default browser is ok, very standards-compliant, but uninspired. I have an older version of an alternate browser called xScope that has tabbing instead of multiple windows and some nice flourishes. It was also free. Sadly, the newer versions of xScope are apparently crap.

Yes, it has Flash. I rarely use it (individual Flash elements need to be enabled, like having FlashBlock on everything, which is fine). Flash performance is so closely tied to chip speed, so this is probably one area where the Droid2 (and other new devices) beats the pants off of the original Droid.

3. RSS-feed reading.

I shelled out $4 for NewsRob, which is a Google Reader. Integrates seamlessly, updates in the background, doesn't suck down battery, I'm a fan.

4. Podcast listening

I don't do this :)

5. Syncing of files onto the device (PDFs especially and text files), and being able to read PDFs

It's like a tiny computer. Copy over whatever the fuck you want, but don't expect to be hand-held and "sync"ed a-la iTunes. Like I said above, Adobe has an official PDF reader, and there are several others (QuickOffice, etc) floating around.

I had a problem with the 2.2 AndroidOS update, but no-one else at work did. Maybe I'm just lucky. Updates to apps are generally fine; most creators warn you if it's going to be a problem, and uninstall/reinstall fixes those 5% of apps that have problems.