Sign in to follow this  
Carny

Netbook?

My laptop died, i need a new one or something comparable. I want to take notes in school, so long battery life. I want to surf the net and watch streams in my bed at night.

The keyboard needs to be typable (this means no ipad). They need to run microsoft suite, ppt word etc, adobe acrobat professional, and statistical software, SPSS/PASW.

I was doing some searches on netbooks, but im not sure if they can do what i need. I dont want to spend a lot of money, because i dont want to play games. And after spending over 3000 dollars on this POS dell laptop that cant charge anymore im never spending a lot on a laptop again --- i hate laptops.

Netbooks are fine for school... IF you can deal w/ the keyboard and screen size. I personally can't. I'd strongly recommend handling one in person for a good while.

Would a cheap regular-sized lappy with HDMI out be nice if it was in the netbook price range? There are deals around for lappies w/ the new P6000 processor (like new iX series with gpu built in w/ cpu) that are amazingly low on power and will still play movies. IIRC, there was a deal on an Acer one for $400 recently at Staples.

From what I've seen around, the 13.3" Toshibas are mighty popular for this usage, but I think they run around $600.

I messed around with some netbooks at walmart. The keyboard is typable, i didnt spend much time on it so not so sure about the screen. A cheap laptop would work, i didnt know the iX laptops came around a $400 dollar price, everything i saw in that range were like celerons and old AMD's, and paying for old technology like that didn't seem like the smartest thing.

My old laptop was a 17 or 19" i cant remember, but i had it as a desktop placement initially, til i realized you cant really replace a desktop for gaming (ie upgrades). I want a much small screen this time; a much smaller laptop in general. If you come across any deals post em here, im bout to hit up the staples website :)

I might be looking for a netbook for my gf, are there ones that are under 250 dollars that come in colors like purple/green/blue?

I messed around with some netbooks at walmart. The keyboard is typable, i didnt spend much time on it so not so sure about the screen. A cheap laptop would work, i didnt know the iX laptops came around a $400 dollar price, everything i saw in that range were like celerons and old AMD's, and paying for old technology like that didn't seem like the smartest thing.

My old laptop was a 17 or 19" i cant remember, but i had it as a desktop placement initially, til i realized you cant really replace a desktop for gaming (ie upgrades). I want a much small screen this time; a much smaller laptop in general. If you come across any deals post em here, im bout to hit up the staples website :)

http://www.staples.com/Acer-Aspire-AS5741Z-5433-15.6-Laptop/product_884281

The P6000 resembles the core i3/i5 in that it is 32nm and has an integrated gpu with the cpu instead of it being an add-on. 35w tdp = low heat and power consumption = long battery life and low noise fans.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=49058

Plus there is/was a $50 off coupon floating around. $400 for that machine is well worth it imo. I may actually go snatch one up as a gift if one of my local stores has it. I've seen some i3 (def a better performer) for around $400, too, but you have to keep an eye out.

I might be looking for a netbook for my gf, are there ones that are under 250 dollars that come in colors like purple/green/blue?

Asus Eees, Dell Minis, etc. Always deals to be had on those, too.

Just for net browsing?

http://www.staples.com/Acer-Aspire-AS5741Z-5433-15.6-Laptop/product_884281

The P6000 resembles the core i3/i5 in that it is 32nm and has an integrated gpu with the cpu instead of it being an add-on. 35w tdp = low heat and power consumption = long battery life and low noise fans.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=49058

Plus there is/was a $50 off coupon floating around. $400 for that machine is well worth it imo. I may actually go snatch one up as a gift if one of my local stores has it. I've seen some i3 (def a better performer) for around $400, too, but you have to keep an eye out.

I saw a dell inspiron i3 for 480 if they let you remove microsoft office. I dont think they will so its actually 600. http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=fndor27t&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

They don't have hyperthreading (virtual cores) or built-in gpus yet. Roadmap says next early next year I think.

They do, however, have low-power usage options that can run well on a newer laptop, though.

Ones with AMD Turion II x2 (m520) will work about as well at the p6000 I think, but it will use more juice because of the cpu and having to use a dedicated gpu. HP makes a few:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Laptop+with+AMD+Turion%26%23153%3B+II+Dual-Core+Processor+-+White/9705406.p?skuId=9705406&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=9705406&ref=06&loc=01&id=1218154377090

14" screen so it is good for portability for class I guess. Probably lose an hour+ of battery life from the intel even though the screen is an inch smaller.

Asus Eees, Dell Minis, etc. Always deals to be had on those, too.

Just for net browsing?

DVDs, Netflix, Web browsing and obvious Word/PPT is what she would use it for. She could care less how fast it is, just how "cute" it is. If it doesn't have a DVD player I don't care, though it would be better to have one. Id say 300 dollars is the max I'd spend. The asus ee's look like they are 380?

I might be buying another netbook, as I found out my financial aid allows netbooks to be purchased with the extra money.

I might be buying another netbook, as I found out my financial aid allows netbooks to be purchased with the extra money.

pretty sure your financial aid allows you to purchase prostitutes too.

you drop $3k on a laptop and QQ about a what, $60 battery replacement? :P gotta know how to charge 'em ... don't leave 'em docked or plugged in w/ the battery in and you should be fine.

i'm really digging the ASUS EEE's tho for netbooks

you drop $3k on a laptop and QQ about a what, $60 battery replacement? :P gotta know how to charge 'em ... don't leave 'em docked or plugged in w/ the battery in and you should be fine.

i'm really digging the ASUS EEE's tho for netbooks

Its not a battery replacement issue. its an engineering issue, its soldered retardedly, with a bunch of uproar for a recall that never happened.

Its not a battery replacement issue. its an engineering issue, its soldered retardedly, with a bunch of uproar for a recall that never happened.

I had the same issue with my old lappy. If it's the same issue as mine, which I assume it is, you can fix it by buying a >$5 part (DC power jack) on ebay. It does, however, require you to solder directly to your motherboard. I fixed mine 3 times with a soldering iron designed for much bigger things...so much so that if I were to drop a full bead of solder it would short circuit the board. Each time I got lazier and lazier (and cared less and less about destroying the piece of shit laptop) and on the 4th "fix" (I ordered 5 dc power jacks when I fixed it the 2nd time) I finally dropped a full bead of solder and shorted the board.

Then (after removing the hard drive), I hit it with a hammer. Several times. It felt good.

I had the same issue with my old lappy. If it's the same issue as mine, which I assume it is, you can fix it by buying a >$5 part (DC power jack) on ebay. It does, however, require you to solder directly to your motherboard. I fixed mine 3 times with a soldering iron designed for much bigger things...so much so that if I were to drop a full bead of solder it would short circuit the board. Each time I got lazier and lazier (and cared less and less about destroying the piece of shit laptop) and on the 4th "fix" (I ordered 5 dc power jacks when I fixed it the 2nd time) I finally dropped a full bead of solder and shorted the board.

Then (after removing the hard drive), I hit it with a hammer. Several times. It felt good.

Sounds like the same issue, and you describe it like everyone else... you have to fix it SEVERAL times. I don't want that hassle.

Sounds like the same issue, and you describe it like everyone else... you have to fix it SEVERAL times. I don't want that hassle.

Ya pretty much. The issue is that the power jack doesn't fit snugly onto the board at ALL. It SHOULD be able to plug into the board and stay there without solder at all (solder just being used to strengthen the connection), but it doesn't. The only thing even holding it onto the board is the solder, so every time you plug/unplug the laptop, it wiggles the power jack a little bit and eventually it breaks the solder and thus the connection. With factory solder, it tends to last quite a while, because it's soldered well...every time you fix it yourself (unless you're a pro at soldering tiny computer parts and have the right tools to do so), it's always a pretty weak bond and only lasts maybe a month or 2.

It's also a huge pain in the ass because you literally need to take EVERYTHING apart on your laptop to even access the DC power jack. By the time you have it stripped down you have a pile of like 50 little screws of varying sizes and nothing left intact. Some of the parts are pretty annoying to take apart/reattach too (the ribbon cable for the screen is a fun one).

I fixed mine several times because at the time it was my only computer (didn't have a desktop as well). When it first happened I knew exactly what the problem was, but looked on some forums to check for sure. Anyone who had taken their laptop in for service was told they needed a new motherboard, not a power jack...so at that point I figured I had nothing to lose. I could either buy a new laptop/motherboard or buy a cheap little part and hope not to fuck up when I solder it to the motherboard (and if I do...I buy a new laptop or motherboard).

Have you thought about attaching the jack to the MB with a jumper lead? This will be more flexible, so figuring out some form collar you can put on the cable in the inside of the case is going to be needed. If you get the collar right, any tension will pull against the case instead of your soldered connection.

I would stay away from netbooks. I bought a 10" MSI Wind for my gf for her study tour. It's slow, boots up slow, difficult to do work on, poor sound and video, and heavy. For things it's suppose to do, it does badly. By the time you boot it up to skype or to record notes, minutes have passed.

Now we have an iPad. It rocks and does well at what it's made for-browsing, note taking, reading and video. It's light and boots up quick.

I would stay away from netbooks. I bought a 10" MSI Wind for my gf for her study tour. It's slow, boots up slow, difficult to do work on, poor sound and video, and heavy. For things it's suppose to do, it does badly. By the time you boot it up to skype or to record notes, minutes have passed.

Now we have an iPad. It rocks and does well at what it's made for-browsing, note taking, reading and video. It's light and boots up quick.

The ipad is hot fucking garbage for note taking and what I need it to do. I typed on the thing for a pretty decent amount of time, and it can't keep up with how fast I need to type to take the notes i want to take. I also need it to run statisitical software, adobe acrobat pro, and powerpoint.