Sign in to follow this  
Carny

Netbook?

Can you put swype on it yet?

Something tells me that won't understand me trying enter pyruvate dehydrogenase complex to convert pyruvate to acetyl CoA.

Something tells me that won't understand me trying enter pyruvate dehydrogenase complex to convert pyruvate to acetyl CoA.

you might be surprised. i havent used swype but similar technology usually has pretty extensive dictionaries, or they extend their dictionary automatically once you enter a word once or twice.

Thanks man. Just picked up a jade green 1012 mini for 235 dollars, I was like wowz.

Should impress the lady for sure.

I'm not really seeing any downfall right now to purchasing a refurb laptop --- i'm not planning to do anything crazy with it.

I can get a core i3 from dell 320gb HD 4GBddr3 ram for 540 all said and done.

I can get an i3 500gb, 4GBddr3 ram from asus. for 508.

Both manufacturer refurbished. I'm leaning toward asus because of my shit experience with dell dc jack.

Any last input before i buy this?

Asus makes reliable laptops (I think #2 only to Toshiba atm). As far as customer service goes in dealing with both, I've had hit and miss experiences with how easy and quick... but both companies definitely fixed their shit for me.

Refurb is fine. Does the Asus one come with the 1 year accidental warranty? That is the shit. And what "regular" warranty?

Asus makes reliable laptops (I think #2 only to Toshiba atm). As far as customer service goes in dealing with both, I've had hit and miss experiences with how easy and quick... but both companies definitely fixed their shit for me.

Refurb is fine. Does the Asus one come with the 1 year accidental warranty? That is the shit. And what "regular" warranty?

I cant really find any info on warranties for the asus refurb. Apparently i can get the same thing on ebay for 413 buyout, or take my luck bidding -start 200.

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-U50F-Notebook-Manufacturer-Refurbished/dp/B0035J0DSW/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1280009365&sr=1-3

is what im looking at.

I cant really find any info on warranties for the asus refurb. Apparently i can get the same thing on ebay for 413 buyout, or take my luck bidding -start 200.

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-U50F-Notebook-Manufacturer-Refurbished/dp/B0035J0DSW/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1280009365&sr=1-3

is what im looking at.

Usually it has to do with the seller being an authorized retailer. No clue about that Neuron Electronics place that ships it.

Here it is listed on CircuitCity.com (which Tiger Direct owns now):

http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6076017&SRCCODE=CCDCNET&cm_mmc_o=2mHCjC2WHaCjCVqHCjCdwwp

According to that it is only 3 months limited parts and labor. Dangerous w/ a laptop, imo, even if it is an Asus.

Otherwise, very nice lappytop.

Usually it has to do with the seller being an authorized retailer. No clue about that Neuron Electronics place that ships it.

Here it is listed on CircuitCity.com (which Tiger Direct owns now):

http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6076017&SRCCODE=CCDCNET&cm_mmc_o=2mHCjC2WHaCjCVqHCjCdwwp

According to that it is only 3 months limited parts and labor. Dangerous w/ a laptop, imo, even if it is an Asus.

Otherwise, very nice lappytop.

I see 90 day warranty on ebay as well, guess that's it. Think its worth it if I can grab it for around 400 or less via ebay?

The ipad is hot fucking garbage for note taking and what I need it to do. I typed on the thing for a pretty decent amount of time, and it can't keep up with how fast I need to type to take the notes i want to take. I also need it to run statisitical software, adobe acrobat pro, and powerpoint.

I've yet to know of a 10" netbook that has a decent sized keyboard that allows you to type fast for a decent amount of time. You can use this: Keyboard Dock, if you find the iPad virtual keyboard inadequate.

Apple Apps have their limitations, but for what it's worth, on the iPad you can run numbers (simplified excel), keynote (simplified powerpoint), and open, export and edit PDFs. But sorry, no SPSS.

--

It seems that what you want is just something cheap for you to pass your schooling days.

May I suggest a refurbished Macbook Air? You can run windows on it.

It's more expensive than what you are considering now, but to me, it's a difference between having a problematic hardware for 2 yrs, or running a good one for 5 years and still sell it for some money.

My friend's Asus laptop's screen had issues after 1+ years, and the build quality isn't good.

Buy something that you will be happy carrying around.

i already pulled the trigger on the asus. It seems pretty good so far. I installed some anti virus software ontop of this pre-installed crap and its destroying windows explorer--- but i think i have it fixed now... kinda dont want to restart it tho just in case lol

Is there a reason why most netbooks force you to void the warranty and tear shit up in order to upgrade the RAM?

My friend is trying to sell me his Acer Aspire One D250, but unless I go for Linux or a hacked XP distribution there is no way I'm putting up with a computer that has 1GB of RAM and such a terrible HDD. If I use open source office software, I don't want it to be because my computer can't flip the MS Office 07 ribbons.

i already pulled the trigger on the asus. It seems pretty good so far. I installed some anti virus software ontop of this pre-installed crap and its destroying windows explorer--- but i think i have it fixed now... kinda dont want to restart it tho just in case lol

Anything preloaded with "bloatware" should get a fresh install of the OS when you get it as long as you can still access and install the shit you actually want or need (driver discs, online access to drivers/software, etc). You are bound to have a slower machine in general and likely to run into program conflicts. It may be time-consuming at the start, but it'll save you headaches later. If you are completely clueless about computers, which I HIGHLY doubt you are, then leave it alone.

Is there a reason why most netbooks force you to void the warranty and tear shit up in order to upgrade the RAM?

My friend is trying to sell me his Acer Aspire One D250, but unless I go for Linux or a hacked XP distribution there is no way I'm putting up with a computer that has 1GB of RAM and such a terrible HDD. If I use open source office software, I don't want it to be because my computer can't flip the MS Office 07 ribbons.

Most notebooks and netbooks are much more tied down by power and thermal issues than desktops. They are designed and tested with those configurations and they don't want you risking any extra stress on those components. Depending on the setup, swapping out for more memory may require more interaction with motherboard and/or cpu components. For example, if one of the mobo chipsets already runs hot managing your memory, it may become easily unstable (perhaps total meltdown) should you load it up with more. Plus, obviously, the things are much more fragile and harder to work in, so they assume the average user will break things opening it up in the first place.

Is the warranty even still on it? Is it transferable? If so, maybe try to call Acer and tell a tech it is running slow. Then ask him/her if you can throw in an extra gig w/o voiding the warranty. I've read about people doing it will Dell and Asus where a support ticket was submitted and people were given an okay to do a simple upgrade.

Anything preloaded with "bloatware" should get a fresh install of the OS when you get it as long as you can still access and install the shit you actually want or need (driver discs, online access to drivers/software, etc). You are bound to have a slower machine in general and likely to run into program conflicts. It may be time-consuming at the start, but it'll save you headaches later. If you are completely clueless about computers, which I HIGHLY doubt you are, then leave it alone.

I agree. It didnt come with a driver disk-- im not sure if its all on the laptop already, or if i can download it on asus site, ill read the manual.

Thanks all for the help, so far so good.

Asus should have all the drivers and manuals on their site. I use it all the time for motherboards and graphics cards.

As far as for a laptop with preloaded software, I have no clue what kind of back-up and support they give for that. Don't know why they wouldn't include discs for programs pre-installed.