Sign in to follow this  
Blake

A trip down memory lane

Recently, I remembered that I had a photobucket account. Logging in, I found a great quantity of SG screenshots. Now, most of you guys, at least the old ones, probably remember these pics, which have been posted several times. Seeing them again was an amazing feeling.

On to them.

How about starting with the time we completely dominated SG.

[]

[]

I have absolutely no idea how I played with so much lag and so much dcing. Of course, this had to happen. Also, 58MA, ew.

[]

So, inside jokes. Hi VD.

[]

To be fair, FxF is a bastard.

[]

And about Samah... holy wenier.

[]

We once got told off by SWKID.

[]

Remember this EHJ vs LoW regibattle? We pretty much held home pocs the entire battle. I was on DF's char and DF was on mine. Probably because I'm so much better than him so I had to use the higher PR one.

[]

I used to talk to Panik as my contact in LoW, especially for regi battles. He did have some weird interests though...

[]

Although, to be fair, I'd say Bergz was worse.

[]

Now I don't know what's funnier, Pendarr getting called a noob, or Pendarr saying, well...

[]

Remember how Scuba always got second place in the tournament? Well, KRU remembers.

[]

But, of course, that doesn't beat the greatest burn in EHJ history.

[]

And, why not, Dudemain getting destroyed by yours truly.

[]

Our reunion before disbanding. I specifically selected this picture because I found Bricriu's message beautiful.

[]

And Creslin being sweet.

[]

And, of course, Creslin's last words before officially disbanding:

[]

Einherjar will always have a very special meaning to me. I joined when I was around 12-13-14 (can't really remember my exact age), during the time when Renaissance was created. I used to play in Poseidons (played in Relic with them for a while and was one of the group that pushed a move to MP, which we eventually did). When that group disbanded (not enough pop, most of the leadership left), I made a decision. I would join a top regiment, or quit. I looked at every single one and decided that the one I wanted to join most was EHJ. Sent Cres an ingame mail, and Ach a more detailed one. Acheron contacted me, and I joined. The rest, is, well, history. My history. I was with EHJ during my teenage years. A very important part of who I am, I owe it to you guys.

It's been real. Take care.

You know, looking back I'm positively astounded I didn't turn out to be actually gay. It's such a damn shame I was basically a child when EHJ-SG was around, I probably would've gotten a lot more out of this game had I not been full pants-off retarded all the time.

Also, this isn't exactly related, but IC.com also allowed me to reconnect with my brother Cres whom I hadn't talked to for a few years. I googled his name and IC was one of the first results. I made a post here claiming to be his little brother, but he didn't believe me because as he'd remember, I didn't cuss like a sailor.

Good times all around. Godspeed, SG.

-quebecdude/dudemain/cerealbox/misswhite

It's such a damn shame I was basically a child when EHJ-SG was around, I probably would've gotten a lot more out of this game had I not been full pants-off retarded all the time.

The worst of all is that, in the length of time since then, I've not only lost touch with people I grew up playing games with on places like MSN Gaming Zone, MPlayer, Kali, GameSpy et cetera, but I cannot remember the various emails and IM handles I used. It's a giant unrecoverable black hole. Games I've played that I have faint memory glimpses of, but that I do not even remember the names of. Sites like Shockwave.com lost like tears in the rain.

Ours is probably the last generation of gamers to have a black hole issue like this, since nowadays it's more centralized in hubs like Steam, where your account is more or less forever because you have paid goods on it. The world at large has finally caught up with the pioneers of online entertainment, and the pleasures of gaming time sinks. And yet here we are, reminiscing of an obscure game that hasn't seen the light of day in a decade.

Looking at these screenshots I'm awed at the aesthetic of the user interface more than anything. Nowadays games have trimmed UIs as much as they can, but it's these older games that really tried to cram veneer into every pixel available.

However...

We have to keep in mind that we are, in the long run, a very early generation of gamers. Computer games at this scale have only been around for 20 years. Counter intuitively, SG is not dead. The genre of MMO-RTT-RTS has barely lifted off the ground. SG is an early pioneer who was slightly ahead of the curve. We are now in the twilight phase, recuperating. LoL and other relatively "simpler" games are going to allow the current generations of gamers a launch pad for games like SG to come. The next phase is the return.

Thanks for the memories. I still log onto SG to run around and shoot the shit, but it's been eons since I've last seen a battle full of players swarming about.

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a new game following a format like SG.  There was End of Nations that got killed off during the closed alpha stage but I haven't seen anything worthwhile that is PVP like SG was.

Yeah I was hopeful for End of Nations.... sad it ended up being just a cock tease.

Glad my toon could make a photo bomb on one of those screen shots!

Remember when SG used to have an Overlord system? Yeah, me either.

Hey that's right Edge for Overlord. He rules all. Free cookies and hookers for everyone should he become OL yet again.

good stuff , wonder how many ppl do visit this forum.

I do ! 

hi everyone :)

Thks blake , bring back memories..  :)

I miss SG soo much.... i've never found a game that has captured me like SG did. 

I wonder how much KRU would sell the rights for SG since they killed the server finally. they probably had it running on a desktop. 

Guest evilsonic9999

Good news is there's still someone working at kru (there's still ppl anwsering tickets). Bad news is they still don't care

Thanks Blake. Your screenshots with the captions truly made me relive many of the fond SG moments. 

I logged in to play one of this weekends and was surprised how I still remember all the short-cut keys after so many years.

I am dabbling in LoL  a little. Morality0. Also just keeping the corp alive in eve.  Time is the enemy of fun. 

I read this forum once in a blue moon.

Playing WoT on the EU server right now.

Otherwise, not gaming too hard currently.

Gasp! Macen is playing LoL! That's cool. I did for many years but really haven't for about the last two.

Just me or do those pictures not show up on the first page?  I'm seeing images saying that third party hosting isn't allowed.  I'd really like to see the pictures!  Especially the one about me, obviously.

Shattered Galaxy was the first online game I really got into.  I think I was in 8th grade when I got into the beta.  And I played it for a good chunk into my college years as well.  Talk about a long-lived community.  So many great memories and it's weird how I never even met most of the people I would have considered friends for almost ten years.

And then after SG, I got addicted to WoW and destroyed my social life and physical health..  You fuckers, how could you let me do that to myself?

Yeah, looks like someone is over their PB limit.  There was a time when I would have made a joke about Blake's third-world internet not being able to actually transmit the images, but clearly I've matured past that.  

Clearly.

I haven't played League in a couple of years and am happy to let that streak continue. Not really playing Hearthstone anymore either. Mostly single-player games lately (finished Horizon Zero Dawn and Bloodborne in the last couple of months, working on Dark Souls 3) while waiting for Path of Exile 3.0 to land.

Hey Bergz, long time no see.