Sign in to follow this  
Drogith

title change: mb+processor combo

My PC is running off a 3200+xp AMD processor. I have a 3700+xp AMD processor in my laptop that has the same socket type. What would I need to do to swap them successfully? They aren't just plug and play, correct?

The laptop is a "mobile" version of the processor. Your motherboards may not support a swap based upon BIOS limitations. You may also encounter unwanted voltage/power/heat issues. I'm guessing the desktop Athlon XP part requires quite a bit more voltage.

Are they both socket A?

i think it may be the athlon then. At startup it spit out 3700 as the processor speed. Maybe I just assumed it was xp. Anyway, they are both custom built, and I would have to go home to get all the details off of both.

Alright, i made a phone call to my wife to get me my vid card into to look into changing motherboards/cpu to upgrade as opposed to swapping the two chips in some way. this will open up to new upgrades and such.

Vid card = GForce 7300 SE (PCI Express)

I'm looking for cheap, so I pulled this off of tigerdirect:

http://www.tigerdire...498251&CatId=14

To go with that I looked into grabbing 1 of these:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5625839&CatId=4534

Look sound for a cheap upgrade?

Do you have a retail version of windows to be able to switch over to the new setup? A mobo and cpu change will usually tell Microsoft to try and make you buy a new copy of your OS if you have an OEM/prebuild copy on the old shit.

Yes, I own a retail version. I've had trouble before when upgrading a system and just called up Microsoft and they cleared everything up.

I was trying to keep it under $300.

I need at least a 2.7GHz AMD or P4 for a processor on a mobo that has a PCI Express slot (vid card).

At least 4GB of RAM would be nice.

Don't buy so dated then.

You can get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103846&cm_re=phenom_ii-_-19-103-846-_-Product

plus a $55 AM3 mobo.

Add in $80 4gb ddr3.

Can be done for $230 or so with combos/sales.

Check for combo deals when you select any item on newegg. For example, click the cpu link above and scroll thru the 9 pages of them to find a mobo match. Sometimes just a really good mobo sale alone is good enough and ends up being less than a combo with a "better" mobo.

If you are playing shit like SC2 and whatnot, that dual core will rip through it.

Here are options for triple and quad cores btw at around the same price if you multitask more:

Phenom II x3:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103652&cm_re=phenom_ii_x3-_-19-103-652-_-Product

Problem is that it is OEM and you'd have to snag a cheap aftermarket cooler on top of the $100 cost of the cpu.

The following are all boxed Athlon IIs. They don't perform as well as the Phenom IIs clock-for-clock (no L3 cache). Here is a quick article if you care:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-l3-cache,2416.html

2.6ghz Athlon x4:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103706&cm_re=amd_athlon_x4-_-19-103-706-_-Product

2.8:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103704&cm_re=amd_athlon_x4-_-19-103-704-_-Product

2.9:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103702&cm_re=amd_athlon_x4-_-19-103-702-_-Product

3.0:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103871&cm_re=amd_athlon_x4-_-19-103-871-_-Product

And this board is $10 more and has USB 3.0 if you think you'll use it over the next couple years:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131656&cm_re=ASUS_M4A77T-_-13-131-656-_-Product

Oh... and both mobos support core unlocking. You can buy the Phenom II x2 555 and MAYBE unlock a 3rd and 4th core. To deal with slight problems and also to meet demand for dual core production, AMD might take a "failed" x3 or x4 chip and disable semi-unstable (or stable) cores. Often with the right mobo and settings you can get them back. I helped two people with 555 BE cpu builds and one I was able to get 3 cores out of and the other 4. $200 cpu for $100 is pretty sweet.

As far as the memory goes, a ton of people have been buying GSkill lately for AMD builds especially. I've never owned any, but they get good reviews for customer service. It is rated at 1.5v so make SURE when you boot up the first time that your mobo isn't auto-setting it higher.

Think it all through. Or just buy what you linked as it would be fine. Just trying to explore all your options. :P

Well, I got everything in, it all fits, followed some handy dandy new mobo w/o formatting steps and nope... I got shit. I think it's the time in our relationship where I need to drop my PC off at a pro and let them handle it. Good hing my comp still functions with the old mobo in there.

if you didnt upgrade the old power supply then that may be the issue. I went up from xp2800 which 3200 is same family. My power supply powered the old cpu and motherboard fine but it lacked the extra plugin for the newer motherboard plus the newer graphics card wouldnt even boot without a 550 min power supply. I had issues with the ram as it is no where in any specs but the porpus 630 x 4 doesnt support higher memory clock speeds on ram so now i have high speed ram i am running at 60% potential.

The PSU shouldn't be a problem as it was oversized to begin with and I have tons of power plugins. I was able to go right into BIOS with no problem, but after I ok'd the 'safe default' in BIOS, I got a black screen with a line cursor that slowly made it down the screen. I made sure to have my windows XP disk in the cd-drive as well, to do any windows repair stuff it may need. I'm gonna bug the guy I work with and see what he comes up with, though I would like some more of Jay's knowledge on the subject before I blow anything up.

So you plugged in the 24-pin mobo connector and the 8-pin (or 4pin depending on board) cpu power usually located next to the socket?

Did you put your memory in the right slots according to the board manual?

Does your board have a screen on it that displays post codes?

Did you double-check all your SATA and IDE connectors are in the right places?

Did you do a fresh install of Windows by enabling your DVD/CD drive as the first boot drive? Your old Windows and settings won't work w/ a new mobo and cpu. You usually can't just put in your old HDD with your old windows and have a working system as I mentioned previously in this thread.

After you got into the BIOS and exited w/ save changes, did you get through POST at all (Power On Self Test where it tells you system info on black screen w/ white writing)? Or did it just go to that black screen?

Is there a reset CMOS button on your board anywhere?

When you are in the BIOS, did you make sure that it was setting your memory to the rated voltage and timings? Check online with the memory manufacturer to make sure the timing #s (ex. 9-9-9-24) are set right in the BIOS along with the voltage you are supposed to use w/ those timings. For example, a set of Corsair xms3 I have is rated to run 9-9-9-24 at 1.5v at 1333mhz and 7-7-7-20 at 1600mhz w/ 1.65v.

The only way you are going to "blow anything up" is by overheating, overvolting, discharging static electricity on your parts, or shorting out the mobo by not using standoffs from the case.

Then there is always the chance you got sent bad parts. It happens no matter what manufacturer and retailer.

We can figure this out. :D

Tell me what parts you actually ended up buying, too.

I will answer these as best I can while at work. Good thing I got knocked out of the first round of a tourn that started last night. Gives me more time to work on this.

So you plugged in the 24-pin mobo connector and the 8-pin (or 4pin depending on board) cpu power usually located next to the socket?

Yes

Did you put your memory in the right slots according to the board manual?

I put them in DIM1/2 w/o checking the manual. Will check when I get home.

Does your board have a screen on it that displays post codes?

I have 4 LEDs that light up in various board states.

Did you double-check all your SATA and IDE connectors are in the right places?

I only have one IDE connection on this board (WTF!) so yes, not sure about SATA but I think so.

Did you do a fresh install of Windows by enabling your DVD/CD drive as the first boot drive? Your old Windows and settings won't work w/ a new mobo and cpu. You usually can't just put in your old HDD with your old windows and have a working system as I mentioned previously in this thread.

No, I forgot to make cd first boot drive. I had assumed it would check that auto.

After you got into the BIOS and exited w/ save changes, did you get through POST at all (Power On Self Test where it tells you system info on black screen w/ white writing)? Or did it just go to that black screen?

Black screen with no info

Is there a reset CMOS button on your board anywhere?

I'll check when I get home.

When you are in the BIOS, did you make sure that it was setting your memory to the rated voltage and timings? Check online with the memory manufacturer to make sure the timing #s (ex. 9-9-9-24) are set right in the BIOS along with the voltage you are supposed to use w/ those timings. For example, a set of Corsair xms3 I have is rated to run 9-9-9-24 at 1.5v at 1333mhz and 7-7-7-20 at 1600mhz w/ 1.65v.

No :(

The only way you are going to "blow anything up" is by overheating, overvolting, discharging static electricity on your parts, or shorting out the mobo by not using standoffs from the case.

Then there is always the chance you got sent bad parts. It happens no matter what manufacturer and retailer.

We can figure this out. :D

Tell me what parts you actually ended up buying, too.

The parts I did get:

http://www.ituroncavalry.com/index.php?/topic/558-title-change-mbprocessor-combo/page__view__findpost__p__12228

Okay. I dowloaded your manual and see that dimm1 and 2 are correct for that mobo. Now go into the bios and make sure that your memory is set a 9-9-9-24 and ONLY getting 1.5 volts. Those sticks w/o heatspreaders (the covers over them) are more prone to damage and overheating when too much voltage is applied. Your mobo may not recognize them automatically for what they are and be applying 1.65 or some shit. Danger.

One IDE is one too many! IDE is dead... or should die! A SATA DVD drive costs $15 and HDDs are cheap considering you can probably get one of the same capacity as (or more than) an old IDE for $35. Plus it is faster. Anyhow... I need to know what optical and HDD you are using and if they are SATA or IDE.

Unplug and replug everything.

You are going to have to install windows. Take the original retail Windows disc (you said you had a retail copy) and install fresh AFTER you backup your shit from the old PC. You'll need your activation key and such.

You may not be able to POST yet, but at least you are getting into the BIOS. While trying everything, do the following:

1. Get into BIOS and check to see if it is reading your cpu, memory, optical drive, and hdd correctly. Can it see them? Is it showing 4gb? Is it showing the right CPU? Your GPU? Explore the BIOS!

2. Make sure all settings match the actual items connected. HDD should be set to IDE or SATA depending on what you actually have. Memory needs to be set right. You want to set boot devices to DVD/CD first for Windows install, then HDD, then disable others after that.

3. I don't know your BIOS layout exactly, but there should be a "system info" or "hardware monitoring" or something like that where it reads current mobo chipset and cpu temps from inside the BIOS. Find it and check it.

We'll get this.

And that mobo can unlock cores. Weeeeeeeee! After we get you stable with the 2 it has, we can try to get you a free 3rd and/or 4th core!

Oh... and another thing you can try starting it up with only 1 stick of memory in DIMM1 and just put the other in the box for a bit until you get set up. Every board can be a bit different and finicky in its own way.

Kk, I know I'm using and IDE CD-drive I ripped out of a standard Dell Office tower. I have the model at home.

Do you think it would be easier if I snagged a SATA DVD and HDD for cheap for this install and use my old IDE drives as slaves? Then I can transfer my data over at my leisure, but still have access when I need it?

*Edit* just figured out I have enough space on my slave to back-up there.

You can do that if you want. Not necessary at all, though. Don't spend the cash if you don't have to.

If your current HDD is SATA, just make sure in the BIOS it is set as the primary boot drive and that it is reading it as SATA.

If you aren't POSTing at all, chances are there is either some minor setting wrong or one of the new 3 parts are bad. Hope for the former, but the latter isn't the end of the world.

Quick question. When I do a backup, I'm going to have to dl and install all my old applications after install right? It won't make a backup copy of sc2 for instance.

If I were you I wouldn't mess with imaging the drive, and just backup your files. This is the time for a nice clean install.