Sign in to follow this  
Drackooner

anyone had this problem?

So I have been floating top 15, now top ten in my bronze league but then automatch will queue me against gold and platinum players like 2-3 times in a row knocking me back down a few. I cant seem to get into silver for the life of me. Also I always seem to get that one guy who doesn't build drone, just goes straight zerglings and rushes me with like 6 with 2 mins of my opener or sooner.... I believe Blizzard is aware their match making system is not working correctly, but anyone got and idea of how I can get past this?

So I have been floating top 15, now top ten in my bronze league but then automatch will queue me against gold and platinum players like 2-3 times in a row knocking me back down a few. I cant seem to get into silver for the life of me. Also I always seem to get that one guy who doesn't build drone, just goes straight zerglings and rushes me with like 6 with 2 mins of my opener or sooner.... I believe Blizzard is aware their match making system is not working correctly, but anyone got and idea of how I can get past this?

The early ling rush is easy to defend against in early stage play and won't effect mid/late game at all. Here's what you do:

Build probes until 9 (9/10)

Do not que any more probes, but send one out to make a pylon near your ramp/choke. You can use it to help block that area a little or not. Up to you, but I would in your level. Send that probe out to gather info. get used to this.

Once the pylon is down and your scout leaves, que up that last probe. You should hit 10/10 right as the pylon finishes building.

Wait for 110 minerals and move a probe near the pylon to put down a gateway. This gateway should block access on one side so anything coming through is choked through a small gap that maybe 2 zeals could fit into.

Start building probes again and chrono boost twice until you have 13/10 with 1 probe in que.

Build a pylon near your base.

The gateway should finish ~when the pylon goes down.

Build a zealot and boost him out.

When there is enough minerals, que the second one.

Use the zealots to block the narrow choke and MAKE SURE TO HIT 'H'. I have lost many an early ling rush because I forgot this.

You have now properly defended. You will have excess minerals to spend, but adding those in will confuse this build and with time you will see where and when these need to go in.

If some lings get by, leave your zeals at the choke, pump out one more to close off the hole and use your probes to attack move the lings. They can easily handle the lings and at your level you won't have to worry about any micro.

Just so you know, you should have 14+probes by the time the attack comes.

After the initial attack, get a gas down and add a cyber core. Get another gateway when you have the mins to and research warp tech as soon as you can. You successfully defended and will prob be able to outdo your opponent since his rush failed.

Will you be on tonight?

I am more refering to the 7 or 8 supply zergling rush. I have yet to figure out how to get enough minerals to get my ramps blocked by then. Though I tested a new forge pillon setup today that worked twice. pillon at 8 forge at 10, first cannon at 12 supply, and then a cannon at 14 and 16 supply, then gateway and so on with a normal protoss build. I am working tonight.

I am more refering to the 7 or 8 supply zergling rush. I have yet to figure out how to get enough minerals to get my ramps blocked by then. Though I tested a new forge pillon setup today that worked twice. pillon at 8 forge at 10, first cannon at 12 supply, and then a cannon at 14 and 16 supply, then gateway and so on with a normal protoss build. I am working tonight.

The strategy I posted protects you from a 6 supply ling rush. I used to think that a forge/canon was needed to defend as well, but that s not the case.

photon cannons are for offense not defense :o

get map control with a timing push, build a pylon near their choke, cannon..gg, expand and smother

the only thing between you and platinum is being able to defend these kinds of rushes without getting your economy hurt. try not having more than the single probe currently training in your nexus queue, that alone will help a ton.

photon cannons are for offense not defense :o

get map control with a timing push, build a pylon near their choke, cannon..gg, expand and smother

Ah, good times.

Back in early beta i was stuck in my original placement of silver, but the match making only matched me against platinum players. I was #1 in my silver division by a ridiculous margin because of it. I think the match making just bugs out sometimes and wont upgrade people. Later stages in beta I was upgraded immediately from platinum to diamond after a string of wins, but i heard of some top level players competitive players that were stuck in platinum. It's not the amount of players that makes you play gold/plat, its the game thinks youre on that level but is still refusing to promote u for some dumb reason--- that is unless u are losing to a bunch of low lvl bronzes inbetween.

As far defending against zergling rushes, be it 6 8 or 10 pool. It's always easy--- block the ramp. If you play terran, barrack--marines/scv to block. If youre zerg, queen block ramp, or just out micro. If youre toss, gateway/pylon and 1 zealot. You don't need a forge to defend unless youre skipping the gateway on lost temple and fast expanding. If youre doing that strat, you block the ramp with probes when the zerglings come and get a cannon in range to shoot.

you gotta beat gold/plat guys if you want to move up. also i think maybe it depends on other people in your division, which might be what holds up so many people. i logged on one day and won a game and got promoted to gold from bronze and then lost a game and got promoted to platinum.

I believe the blizzard engines uses multiple things to figure out if you can advance, even if u get matched against plat players and can't win, you must at least maintain low resource counts amongst other things to get promoted. OF course best way to go up is to win win win.

yeah i've been kind of curious what sort of metrics they create based on replays. it might be as simple as the differential between your score and your opponent's score, but it could get real complicated. you might have to have enough metrics exceed the average, which could get to your income/time ratio, your APM, your army killed value vs army created value, all kinds of stuff.

yeah i've been kind of curious what sort of metrics they create based on replays. it might be as simple as the differential between your score and your opponent's score, but it could get real complicated. you might have to have enough metrics exceed the average, which could get to your income/time ratio, your APM, your army killed value vs army created value, all kinds of stuff.

I'm not sure if blizzard changed the way promotions work when they tweaked the system, but you used to be evaluated at a certain time, and blizzard said they didnt want to release when the evaluations took place in order to keep people from abusing the system. Based on how quickly promotions can take place now i dont think it still works that way, but maybe drack plays at really odd times, or not enough games in a small period of time?

I was first placed in bronze after going 3-2 on my placement matches. I was promoted to silver last week sometime, I think I was 8-6 or something like that. I just got promoted to gold after my last match, and I'm currently 12-10 for my record. I lost the first match I played today, so I was 11-10, and then dominated the 2nd match against a Terran with no early military. After the 2nd match I got promoted, and I was only ranked like 17th in my silver league as well.

I don't know what controls it, but I've been doing fine so far with promotions. I'm curious if I'll stay at gold for a while, or how big of a jump it is from gold to platinum in terms of skill level of players. I won a lot of my matches just with early military so far, I'm guessing that's not going to last very much longer :o

you can easily get to platinum by using cheese strats

ie banshee/VR rush etc

the people I play now though adapt to it and you have to adapt as well

I usually have a small problem getting a quick force out for pressure and then maintaining. On maps that i do acquire this, I end up not transitioning well or reacting to them in the incorrect way. I actually ran into a guy last night that paused the game on me telling me I was lagging. I unpaused, told him to deal with it. He called me a noob, paused the game again, which I promptly unpaused and he rage quit. I think he was expecting me to leave the game due to lag so he could get an easy win.

i play plenty, I prolly have more league games than anybody here. I think the problem is if they evaluate like you say they do. I usually focus on the victory when I know I have it locked to win. I pretty much stop building anything. I dont mind being where I am at, I just think I am a silver league player but in order to move up I guess I have to do something different........... I have like 750-800 league points at any given time though...

i play plenty, I prolly have more league games than anybody here. I think the problem is if they evaluate like you say they do. I usually focus on the victory when I know I have it locked to win. I pretty much stop building anything. I dont mind being where I am at, I just think I am a silver league player but in order to move up I guess I have to do something different........... I have like 750-800 league points at any given time though...

When you have the win locked in, keep building as if you were continuing on. It's a good habit to get into for higher level play as you could think you have it nailed, and be totally wrong. It will also add to your overall endgame points.

this one time, this guy said "GG" after he destroyed my original base, when I had 3 other bases compared to his 2 :)

He said GG cause he knew you were going to win.

Also, there's a tip in the loading screen that should be appearing much more often : Ctrl-group your production buildings. And play with no music on so you can hear when your units are produced. While attacking, switch to your production buildings every 10 seconds or so. The interface makes it quite easy to find out if a barrack is not producing anything if, say, you have 3 barracks selected. Make this a habit, and your macro will be much more efficient, and you won't be a sitting duck should a counterattack come your way. My 2 cents.

That helped me a lot, ctrl grouping the production buildings. I'm getting used to 1-3 being for mobile army, usually 1 is ground troops, 2 is medivacs if I have them, and 3 is banshees or vikings.

4 is usually command center, 5 is for all my barracks and depending on if I'm pushing starports or factory 6 will be those.

When I'm on an offensive, any reinforcements are rally pointed to a unit in the offensive, which is extremely useful and will win you matches in the lower leagues.

you have 144 league games, ive got 120 and i barely play.

I don't think game count matters. I've got 32 or something league matches played and I've been promoted from bronze into gold already. I think it comes down to keeping your numbers low, and score up than it does winning.