Arishem

Android

i use weatherbug on my G1 for weather stuff. i let my wife find cool apps though, don't really like the market interface and most the free games don't have much replay value outside a few tower defense. luckily i have emailed myself the list of games Fahr posted in another thread before the forums blew up

Robo Defense

Abduction!

Labrynth Lite

Frozen Bubble

Bonsai Blast

Jewels

The vibrate switch on my iPhone snapped off the other day and it's way out of warranty. Just one more push to another phone to mix it up a bit. Looking at the Droid or Nexus One. My contract with AT&T doesn't expire till December, though, and I'm sure it comes with a nice big fee to terminate early.

They are supposed to be making the Nexus One compatible with AT&T's network sometime after it comes out on Sprint, so you may be able to get it that way. There are also supposed to be several Android phones coming out for AT&T. The Backflip is already out, and I think there are 4 more coming in the next few months.

They are supposed to be making the Nexus One compatible with AT&T's network sometime after it comes out on Sprint, so you may be able to get it that way. There are also supposed to be several Android phones coming out for AT&T. The Backflip is already out, and I think there are 4 more coming in the next few months.

It's actually compatible now, but they don't offer unlocks for them yet. Most likely in a couple months they will start allowing it. I have a Mytouch and had a Cliq (go go employee discount). All the google apps are cool as hell. Prolly my two favorite from them are Google voice (needs an invite) and Google Sky Map. Google voice gives you a new phone number as well as a voicemail box that sends you text messages of what your voicemails are. Pretty cool for when you're at work / in meeting. It also allows you to get credits over time for free international calls. Sky map shows you were constellations and planets are when you move your phone around, pretty fun.

Yeah, I was playing with Sky Map the other day and it was definitely fun to mess with.

I'd like to use Google Voice, but I'm still waiting for an invite.

Shazam is a neat little app that listens to part of a song and tells you the name/artist/album/etc.

Also, being the math/computer geek that I am, I have also downloaded a file browser, ssh client, ftp client, and a better calculator.

I have a nexus one and couldn't be happier with Android. My roommate has a G1 and I convinced a few other people to get a G1 as well. Every seems to love it. I don't tend to use name apps. I find them as I need them but if you don't have your phone rooted you should and look into cyanogenmod. If you are on AT&T they already have an N1 on the website unlocked and all that crap.

Nexus one rocks !

Advanced Task Killer (must have)

Aldiko

Astrid

Astro

Barcode Scanner

Camera ZOOM FX

Car Locator

CNET Scan & Shop

DroidLive (best internet radio app ever)

Google Earth

Google Gesture Search

Google Googles

Google Sky Map

Google Talk

Google Voice

Google Translate

Evernote

Fring

Glympse (cooooool !)

Greed

iNap

Layar

Meebo

PdaNet (usb tethering)

PicSay

Ringdroid

Scan2PDF

Securet Spycam

Shazam

ShopSavvy

Soccer Livescores

Speed Test

Trip Computer

TripIt

Tube Download

TuneWiki

Wapedia

WaveSecure

WebSharing (coooooooooooooooool)

Also I have 3 Gvoice invites left pm me to get one.

If you have a G1 (Magic), MT3G, or Nexus one and you have rooted it I recommend Cyanogen Mod. I think that it is available for other phones as well but they are all ports.

Favorite Apps for me:

Weatherbug elite - it's like $2 or so, but has animated radar and a nice weather interface based on your location

Google Maps - is amazing. Truly amazing. The only thing a GPS only device has on it is rural mapping because Android requires an internet connection.

Sportypal - excellent work out app tracks distance, maps your track and gives you information about your activity. It's good for biking, running, skating, any of that.

Toggle Wifi - simple wifi toggle that notifies you when wifi is not available so you can turn it off.

Ringdroid - nice Mp3 editor for making ringtones from songs or downloaded mp3's

Jewels - bejeweled game

Sudoku Free - kinda obvious, but decent sudoku app.

Robo Defense is not bad either.

Here's another both F-babe and I use:

Aldiko.

It's a free book reader that hooks up with feedbooks.com and downloads free public domain books to your droid, then presents them page-by-page to read. Nice interface & bookmarking features.

Slacker Radio

Shazam

Google Listen

Google Gesture

AndChat

Google Scoreboard

Tube Downloader

Video Player

WiFinder

My Verizon

Also, the one reason I use TheWeatherChannel app instead of the others, is the sick widget. Do the others have a widget? (If you don't know what a widget is, hold down on a blank space on your desktop [i guess its called a desktop, the backgound] and select add widget. You'll then see programs that offer a widget)

Widgets I use:

The Weather Channel

Google Scoreboard

Calendar

Picture Frame

Weatherbug Elite has several options for their widgets.

I use retro clock widget too looks like the old black and white flip alarm clock faces

Twidgit is a nice twitter widget

and Facebook's widget is not bad either.

<List of stuffs...>

The Weather Channel

I liked the previous version of the Weather Channel's app. It would put the current local temp in your notification bar ALL The time, and turn it red when you had a hazardous weather notification. Now, they just put a red notification when there's a warning, and you can't see the temp at a glance, unless the widget is on the current screen (I use PandaHome, and 5 screens).

They fucked up, IMO. I'm looking for a replacement.

Calendar

I downloaded CalWidget. It's a much more feature-rich calendar widget app, with support for multiple sizes of calendar widgets, as well as color-coded entries (pulling the colors from your Google Calendars)

Picture Frame

IIRC, this is an Android-native widget, right? I know I have it. Put a pic of F-babe and I on my desktop. It earned many bonus points with her when she saw it, and she insisted I show her how to add it to her desktop, too. The only downside is that it only supports a single size picture.

Other Apps/Widgets I use:

Find Starbucks

I confess that I've developed a taste for good coffee. I don't do the fru-fru six-dollar-a-cup stuff. Regular coffee, a Red Eye (coffee + espresso shots), or perhaps a large Americana (4xEspresso shots with hot water). Cost per cup of these drinks is $2 - $2.50, so it's not outrageous when compared to buying coffee anywhere else (although still significantly more expensive than brewing your own).

The Find Starbucks app will use your current location, show you the closest few stores (including what features they have - drive through, wi-fi, etc), and link to google maps to give you directions. It also has a method to store your Starbucks cards and show you your current balance. Getting and using a starbucks card can save you money (no charge for syrups or cream/soy milk), and gives you two hours/day of free internet access (handy if your Android has a WiFi adapter, for example).

City Caller ID

Not sure if you can still get this app. It's free, and shows city/state of incoming calls based on NPA-NXX (that is, the area code and three digit exchange prefix of the phone number). Development was stopped by the guy when it was pointed out that there is another company that has a patent on the technology.

Weatherbug is your replacement. Try reopening your Weather channel app though to see if it comes back to the status bar... mine disappeared for some reason when i went to check it just now (maybe from a power cycling...)

Skype is now available for you verizon users..

http://www.skype.com/mobile

I need a home screen extender app. Can anyone recommend one?

Fahr, I saw that you have PandaHome. Did it erase your current home screen settings? Are there any widgets that just don't work on it? And how many homescreens are on there?

I've also heard that home screen extenders make the phone sluggish. Anyone here experience that?

If you long press your location in the "My Places" screen of the Weather Channel app and click "Set as Home" the temp shows up in the notification bar.

I've heard mixed things about PandaHome2 (for Android 2.0). The only home extender I've tried so far is Home++, which adds some interesting features but could be a little sluggish, and I wasn't crazy about some of the UI changes. I'm still wavering between it and the regular home screen. Droids should all be updated to 2.1 in a few weeks anyway, which had 5 home screens on the Nexus One.

What about replacement virtual keyboards? One thing I haven't liked about the droid so far is that there is no suggestion bar when you are typing with the physical keyboard. Several apps like Better Keyboard and Smart Keyboard are supposed to have it. Anyone used either of those?

Skype is now available for you verizon users..

http://www.skype.com/mobile

Um. I have this phone in my hand. I'm going to use a special app, so I can go online, to use it as a... phone.

I suppose if you're tragically short on phone minutes, but have a kick-ass data plan, it might make sense. But I've never seen a Verizon data plan that didn't suck gigantic donkey penis.

I need a home screen extender app. Can anyone recommend one?

Fahr, I saw that you have PandaHome. Did it erase your current home screen settings? Are there any widgets that just don't work on it? And how many homescreens are on there?

I don't think it erases your home screen settings. In fact, you can switch back to your default home screen if you like. When you press the home button, you get a pop-up that asks which you want to go to - with a 'set as default' option (you can remove the default by going into your system settings-app settings and clearing it).

I haven't found a widget that didn't work on it.

It supports from 1 to 11 home screens. The default Home app (Android 1.6 on my Moment) supports exactly 3.