Sign in to follow this  
AricLandry

New Computer

So here's the deal. I've started school again, and I want a laptop so that I can get work done every where I go. But there in lies the problem. I want a lap top that will be better than my current computer, if not better then at least slightly better.

Current set up:

AMD 3.0 dual core processor.

XFX ATI Radeon 4850 Graphics

4 Gigs of RAM

So being the smart consumer that I am trying to be, I did a lot of research. And I went through at least 15 different choices, all ranging from 900 to 2000 dollars. Now 2000 is out, but I've decided that right in the middle is ok.

To make a long story short I've decided on a laptop. It this.

Republic of Gamers Asus G73:

Intel core i7 processor 1.6G (2.3G overdrive) 720 Qm (I think)

6 gigs of RAM

ATI Mobility 5870 Graphics

Now I'm not one to read and be turned off on an item because of a few bad reviews. The price tag on this thing is 1299 at best buy, and every website has rated it very high. There are a few downsides, no system restore disc, problems with bios, even fans going out and over heating. It seems to me these situations we isolated and shouldn't influence my choice too much. But the more I think about it the more I think that there might be something else out there that is pretty close to this that might be better.

I wouldn't mind spending less money, but I don't want to spend any more. If any one has a thought, suggestion or even some advice I would gladly take it.

So here's the deal. I've started school again, and I want a laptop so that I can get work done every where I go. But there in lies the problem. I want a lap top that will be better than my current computer, if not better then at least slightly better.
What are you planning to use your laptop for? You could spend $500 and get something that would run pretty much anything you'd need for school unless you're doing graphics design or the like.

Really all I'm looking for is kind of a yes or no. Every one I have talked to says good deal, good deal, but I'm starting to wonder if there is anything better or more cost effective out there. I realize that cost effective and better are two different fields, but I have to know. I'm investing a good deal of money on something that I'm going to use for brodcast communication/production as well as music recording/editing, so if there is something else that I should know about then thats what I'm looking for. So any advice or suggestions would be helpful.

The mobile 5870 is about equivalent to a desktop 5770 which can run most games at 1920x1200 with good settings or even max. It is THE choice for someone looking for a complete gaming desktop replacement. Say you want to output via HDMI to your 1080p tv and play something extremely gpu intensive...

However, refresh of the g73 + a g53 (i3 and i5 instead of i7) are coming out very soon (or already did) with the GTX 460m (new nvidia g106 architecture). Supposedly they addressed a few of the problems w/ the model that has the 5870. Plus they added a USB 3.0 port that may be helpful to you in the future with transferring large amounts of you video and music files.

http://rog.asus.com/News.aspx?NewsId=25

Because this is a desktop replacement and you are going to be heavily relying on it for gaming, school, and work, I'd make SURE I went for something with a great warranty. You may want to build a new Dell or something even.

As Jayrock said warranty is key with this type machine. I can't tell you how many of these desktop replacements I've seen broken. They're really not even meant to be traveled with. So much real estate for the screen makes it more prone to crack. Then you have the tiny fans that never really do the job, and the hardware starts to break down. I really just hate desktop replacements, and most people I talk out of them with an external monitor/keyboard for a smaller machine.

I loved my desktop replacement. Inspirion with a 17 inch screen, and 9 lbs was plenty light for me to carry between locations in a backpack (although small people might find it heavy as shit -- especially if you add books).

I had the 3 year on-site warrenty, and needed it every year. But other than those times it broke down, it played games on high graphics, and felt in general like a full-fledged desktop. It lasted about 4 years until something that I just couldn't figure out broke and it started being really slow, and being unable to charge the battery (which would only last like 40 minutes anyways).

*Edit*

I checked dell's sites and apparently only alienware laptops let you have a separate video card. Pretty much destroys any value in it, since alienware prices are already bloated. An alienware with the nvidia 285 is at minimum 2100$ for a 17 inch.

4 years ago I got a top of the line inspirion with the top of line the nvidia graphics card at the time, for like 1900$, with warrenty as a reference point :D

I had the 3 year on-site warrenty, and needed it every year

I just can't handle that. They make me want to puke just thinking about them.

Thanks guys for the advice here. I did notice that the new G73 had bee updated and fixed but I wanted to be very sure. I'm really protective of my computers, so much that I will be using a fan set backwards taking the hot air from the machine away from it, as well as a cooling pad for it to sit on while gaming.

Overall, I think I'm going to buy this machine. Its a beast and I love the design. Asus built it to be mobile, reinforced plastic that barely flexes along with a rubberized pad underneath the back lit keyboard.

Needless to say, I'm pumped about this. Ill post pics next week when I get it.

It is a very nice high-end laptop at a good price.

When it comes down to it, half of keeping a laptop running is luck and half is how you treat the thing. Seems like you have the latter under control, and I hope the former works for you.