Sign in to follow this  
Keltar ™

Free Apps & General Computer Tips

Please post below a list of apps you believe are worthy of greatness and explain briefly why. I'll try to update this thread as frequently as possible so that all your apps get linked in the first post.

PS: Also feel free to add some general tips about Win XP/Win 7 or any common applications which would benefit us all!

Tentative list

Text/PDF viewing/editing:

OpenOffice - Free program similar to Microsoft Office.

IBM Lotus Symphony - an interesting alternative to OO.o, supports word, spreadsheet, and ppt atm

Notepad++

PDF X-change

Foxit - PDF reader and more.

Music/Video:

foobar2000 - mp3 player/organizer

VLC- Reads pretty much any video type

Sharing/FTP:

FileZilla

Halite

uTorrent

Networking:

Digsby

Planning:

Browsing:

Opera

Firefox

Chrome/Iron

Email:

Thunderbird

Virtualization:

Virtualbox/VMWare Player

Mods:

Gamer's Window Relocator

Synergy / Synergy+ - Awesome program that acts as a software KVM switch (minus the V). Lets you share a single KB/mouse between multiple Windows/Linux/Mac machines

Anti-Virus:

AVG

avast!

All OS X based apps.

TextMate -- Decent text editor.

Project+ for TextMate -- Adds a bit of functionality for projects and cleans up the project drawer.

Things -- Awesome task/project management app. There's also a Things app for the iPhone and you can sync between them.

Versions -- Good subversion client for day-to-day repository actions.

MAMP -- If you're looking for a quick MySQL/PHP setup, this is it. Relatively pain free to use your own flavor of PHP, if required.

Cyberduck -- Decent free FTP app. It's always worked for my purposes so I haven't had reason to look at Transmit or Flow.

Adium -- IM program supporting all the popular protocols.

YemuZip -- Good archive program for file compression and automatically removes OS X proprietary files from the archive.

Skitch -- Decent screen capture and free image sharing for casual use.

TinkerTool -- Allows you to tweak certain application settings much easier than normal (like displaying hidden files).

PandoraJam -- Awesome application that records Pandora and automatically adds the songs to your iTunes library, properly tagged.

TweetDeck -- Decent Twitter application, if you're in to that.

Rowmote -- Awesome presentation tool for your Mac & iPhone. Allows you to control your cursor, type, change applications, and more from your iPhone.

I have a bunch of old Max PC mag disks with a lot of good apps/utes on em that many I still use today, but the only stupid store around here that sold the mag doesn't carry it anymore.

I'm sure y'all have better/newer ones to suggest though ;)

There are a ton of great freeware apps available for Windows. Some off the top of my head:

Firefox

Opera - Really an underrated web browser

Chrome/Iron

Thunderbird

FileZilla - Great FTP client (and server)

Digsby - multiprotocol IM client

OpenOffice

IBM Lotus Symphony - an interesting alternative to OO.o, supports word, spreadsheet, and ppt atm

Notepad++ - by far the best text editor I've used on Windows

Virtualbox/VMWare Player - both great virtualization programs

Gamer's Window Relocator - lets you run a game in windowed mode at full resolution and repositions the window so you can't see the border

foobar2000 - mp3 player/organizer

Halite - nice lightweight bittorrent client

VLC

PDF X-change - best windows pdf viewer imo

Synergy/Synergy+ - Awesome program that acts as a software KVM switch (minus the V). Lets you share a single KB/mouse between multiple Windows/Linux/Mac machines

I could also list a ton of Linux programs I use if anyone is interested.

Some of my must have programs:

Open Office - Free. Instead of $$$ MS Office.

VLC - Free. Plays all video formats.

Synergy - Free. Use one keyboard/mouse with multiple computers.

Foxit - Free. PDF reader and more.

Firefox - Free. Browser with many customization options.

Thunderbird - Free. Email client.

AVG - Free. Anti-virus.

uTorrent - Free. BitTorrent client.

Aye, those disks I mentioned earlier is how I discovered Firefox, AVG, Open Office, Zone labs, and a couple/few other things I still use, namely the anti-virus stuff as it's good to run more than one of those as you know (but NOT at the same time....yes, I did).

Edit: Zonelabs has a good free firewall I have been using for some time now, never had any issues with it.

A few of the things I like using.

CleanUp- Removes the clutter and helps your computer run faster.

Fences- Hides all the icons on your desktop by double-clicking. Double-click again and they reappear. Nice for keeping your desktop neat and organized.

Game Booster- Great for people that have less then amazing computers play amazing games faster and easier.

Rainmeter- Customizable system monitoring, rss feeds, weather, and pretty much whatever you want to have on your desktop area.

Launchy - I can't live without this.

Winamp - Still my favorite music player.

Putty - This is another one I'm always running.

Microsoft Security Essentials - Just as good as any of the others I've seen out there.

Keepass - I have about 200+ passwords I have to keep up with. I've heard LastPass is a good one as well.

Dropbox - I can't tell you how awesome this little program is. It basically keeps about ~3gigs of information synced across all my computers for me. And also allows me to share things with clients very quickly. LOVE IT.

Daemon Tools - Great virtual drive program. Lets you mount an .iso quickly isntead of burning it to cd/dvd.

Imgburn - One of best burning software I've used.

I used to be a big fan of Daemon tools, but some of the recent releases bundle various "toolbars", so pay attention when you install it.

I've switched over to Virtual Clone Drive(Here), and haven't looked back.

For the related situation when you want to boot an .iso, but don't feel like burning yet another disc, or your pc doesn't have a CD-ROM, check out Unetbootin(Here) to make a bootable USB drive instead. I also like XBoot(Here), which will load multiple iso's onto a single flash drive. It's great for making a swiss-army-knife flash drive of many utilities.

Anyone have some awesome apps for my girlfriend's iphone?

I'm a droidboy, so I don't know the good iphone4 apps.

Hey guys.

My CD-ROM drive has finally failed to work correctly. I've got to use a pin to get the drive to release.

I need to get a new one. I probably shouldn't care but I still use CD's from time to time. Specific Drive I should get or get that will last me? blue ray worth getting? Thanks!

What I Do/Need:

Read DVD's and CD's

Burn Both ( I Honestly haven't used this function for over 2 years)