Sign in to follow this  
Acheron

Escape From Silver Keep

Keep is an ascii dungeon adventure from about 20 years ago. If you are familiar with rogue / nethack style gaming this gameplay will be familiar to you. If not, take a look at the README that comes with the install and start from there. Once you are in the actual game, '?' will give you a full command list as well.

---------------------------------------------------------

To install and play Keep simply copy this file to your hard drive. Some versions of Windows automatically block all foreign zip files, so you may need to right click 'Unblock' it first. Then just right click on the file and choose "Extract All" and you will have a folder called "Keep Release 1.0.5".

Just run "Console Keep.exe" and you're good to go.

Note that save files from release 1.0.4 or earlier are NOT compatible with this version, so if you want to keep your prior scoreboards be sure to copy the executable over as normal and nuke the full contents of "KeepData/Saves".

Note that this is still a test version so I expect bugs. Feel free to pass along questions / bugs / typos / etc...

post-4-12869467949548_thumb.jpg

Keep Release 1.0.5.zip

Thanks so much for doing this! I used to play Keep over slow modem at UCSC. I was able to run the file on my Win7

desktop at work (shhhhh) and so far so good! I'll give feedback if anything strange happens. Right now I'm looking

for an altar.

Keep is an ascii dungeon adventure from about 20 years ago. If you are familiar with rogue / nethack style gaming this gameplay will be familiar to you. If not, take a look at the README that comes with the install and start from there. Once you are in the actual game, '?' will give you a full command list as well.

To install and play Keep simply copy this file to your hard drive. Some versions of Windows automatically block all foreign zip files, so you may need to right click 'Unblock' it first. Then just right click on the file and choose "Extract All" and you will have a folder called "Keep Release 1.0.5".

Just run "Console Keep.exe" and you're good to go.

Note that save files from release 1.0.4 or earlier are NOT compatible with this version, so if you want to keep your prior scoreboards be sure to copy the executable over as normal and nuke the full contents of "KeepData/Saves".

Note that this is still a test version so I expect bugs. Feel free to pass along questions / bugs / typos / etc...

Hi Fiend. What was your account back at UCSC ?

I was sardius on ucscb. I was by no means the top Keep player around, but I managed to get to the top of the high score

list a couple times braving the call-nuke to kill one more legion of devils and demons before bailing. Playing now (and

only getting as far as Gate House lv1 once so far), it's clear how much raw time went into playing to get enough successful

games to write home about. I've forgotten a lot of details but I hope to refresh my memory if I can get enough good luck to

make it farther.

I'm on version 1.0.4 -- do you know if there's a newer version available or in the works? I tried contacting keepdude at

hotmail this morning but that's a dead email acct.

Edit: I see that the download version is listed as 1.0.5, but the version on the splash screen is 1.0.4

I'll try to remember to dig one out for you. I dusted it off and submitted it in one of the intel challenges, so there is a perfectly good complete pc version done.

Yeah, I don't think I've checked that email in many many years, so it probably expired. Oops.

Glad you enjoyed it.

I'll try to remember to dig one out for you. I dusted it off and submitted it in one of the intel challenges, so there is a perfectly good complete pc version done.

Yeah, I don't think I've checked that email in many many years, so it probably expired. Oops.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks! It need not be free if it's all done... let me know the details and we can work out the

appropriate payment.

Looks interesting... I'll have a look at some point while I wait for the inertial polarity shift

No worries. I tried to shareware it long long ago, but it never caught on. These days it is just um, dated ;P

No charge needed, just inertia.

If you want to pay for something, feel free to buy my current game instead:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/223220/

:)/>

I can play at work. I love it!

Well wtf? I killed everything and opened almost all the doors... How do I get to level 2? The special key?

-EDIT-

NM, that was silly of me

Some rod or other keeps killing me :-/ not cursed rod of the spectre or anything, just some unidentified rod that crashes

the game window as soon as I successfully zap it. I don't have the patience to not test-zap rods though ;-) so it's like

the old call-nuke come back to randomly claim my electronic soul...

[added] Looks like rubble throws off the screen position and pretty much hoses the game (unless

you are lucky and it doesn't impede you), so unless I can find some boots of mighty striding I

don't think I can get past the gatehouse levels, on the rare occasion I make it out of the garden levels in one piece :-/

Thank you so much for posting this!  I was a huge keep addict at UCSC back in the early 90's (account Lexis), and had a flash of nostalgia the other day, so I thought I would go searching to see if it was ever modified for client use.  

I still have visions of picking up that first spellbook of wizard's wrath =)'

Funny to see this thread awake.  I'm actually working on two Steam roguelikes right now.

One for BFG (Dieselstormers), and another of my own.

I'd say the second one is a cross between the original Keep and Risk of Rain.

-D

I've got your 1.0.5 version of keep running, but it seems to crash about every 90 minutes.

the 10 times I managed to make it into the warrens without the game crashing, I've been eaten by psionic screens, flaming pit traps, bags of devouring, vampiric rings, and rods of the spectre.

Ahh... the memories =)'

Also, is there a mailing list I can get on for when your newer games become available?

Ran into another AppCrash on it.  Happened right as I was issuing a zap command on an unknown rod.

Could have been Rod of the Spectre or Rod of Force.  Those were the 2 (that I remember) that I had not yet identified.

I've got a 1.0.6 version here on my desktop, I bet that's better.  Let me see if I can upload it.

Looks like it.  I don't honestly remember what changed in that one, but maybe it will help.  I haven't touched these in a long time.

I don't have any sort of mailing list or such for my side projects at the moment, but it'll probably be something to do once I get closer to release.  I admit my main problem right now is that I end up working crazy hours at work and then being pretty brain-dead before I get home and think about other game making.  Which is a shame, since I like my game a fair bit better :P

Keep Release 1.0.6.zip

Excellent, thanks! I'll give it a try.  Just ran into the same rod zapping bug again.

It wasn't a rod of force, since I used one earlier with no problems.  It was a rod with a directional fire though, so it couldn't be spectre.  My memory of the items on EFSK aren't as good as they were 20 years ago =)

Bummer, 1.0.6 is still app crashing, although not as frequently.  Crashed in the warrens. There were a LOT of items on the floor and just prior to crashing, I walked over a pair of mail gauntlets on the ground that I had never picked up.  The game identified them for me as +0 mail gauntlets - while they were still on the ground - so I had a feeling the game was about to blow right when that happened =(

Using v. 1.0.6 of EfSK, and just hit guard house lvl 1.  Just noticed that the entrance door (from garden level 4) switched from one side of my screen to the other.

So the game essentially "ends" at gate house lvl 1.  Entrance back to garden lvl 4 goes missing, and there's a ascend which drops you off in tower level 5 with no way to get back down.

Sorry to hear that.  Afraid I'm not too likely to mess with it more at the moment.  I know I've seen one of my kids play it through on wizard mode a few years back but its pretty much just in archive right now.

Naturally, I am still interested in a more stable release as well.  I'm hoping that the rubble rubble bug at least is fixed in 1.0.6; sounds like the mystery rod of doom is still an issue... can't remember enough from the UCSC days to narrow down which one (not arachne, force, frost knives, or lightning).  Wish I had my old notes too (from Gerald, I think?)