Sign in to follow this  
Hurq

The health care bill

I know I've said I prefer cheese over politics, but this seems an important topic to discuss. Looks like Obamers thingy has passed the final stage and he will subsequently sign it into law. What do you guys think of this?

10:25 PM ET: Pelosi speaks on behalf of the bill, thanks President Obama, fellow Democrats, the late Senator Ted Kennedy.

/sigh

Most likely will lead to a HUGE difference in healthcare for the upper middleclass / rich and the poor. This will most likely also signal an even greater divide in middle class poor and rich. I think what should have taken place is you take the healthcare everyone in congress has offer it to everyone in the nation for a small fee which would be fair. The bill that was passed will help no one but the super rich get richer. This bill will also hurt the healthcare of the poor or uninsured currently. Also of note this bill wont even provide healthcare until 2013 all it does from now till then is tax people and companies to pay for it. I just dont see how this helps anyone republican or democrat I am completely stumped as to why the hell this was past its just awful.

Because each party is at "war" and will do anything retarded to hurt one another in the upcoming years, even at the nation's expense...

Because each party is at "war" and will do anything retarded to hurt one another in the upcoming years, even at the nation's expense...

This is what I'm thinking. That's why I fucking hate politics and promote cheese.

This is what I'm thinking. That's why I fucking hate politics and promote cheese.

Well maybe it will come to that.

At the rate the Dem's are currently spending money and with no solid fundamentals in the housing market. I really don't see this getting better for a decade or two. Welcome to 25% unemployment its here to stay!

I say 25% because they only calculate it for people who are still searching for work. If you say fuck it and get on welfare you are no longer counted in the unemployed numbers how messed up is that.

And the census calculates even the illegals....how fucked up is that even.

But any way, I should be ok as I'm sorta in the medical field, working for a company that has been in place for over 30 yrs with a strong customer base...

Most likely will lead to a HUGE difference in healthcare for the upper middleclass / rich and the poor. This will most likely also signal an even greater divide in middle class poor and rich. I think what should have taken place is you take the healthcare everyone in congress has offer it to everyone in the nation for a small fee which would be fair. The bill that was passed will help no one but the super rich get richer. This bill will also hurt the healthcare of the poor or uninsured currently. Also of note this bill wont even provide healthcare until 2013 all it does from now till then is tax people and companies to pay for it. I just dont see how this helps anyone republican or democrat I am completely stumped as to why the hell this was past its just awful.

I don't think it's going to change much at all. At best, it might get some people to stop using ERs for routine care. At worst, it ends up being an irrelevant expansion of federal health care compared to Medicare.

It should have been universal single-payer.

And the census calculates even the illegals....how fucked up is that even.

Take it up with the constitution. The census is required to count free people, not citizens.

Comic idea: Some guy in the dark saying something along the lines "finally, after four hundred years, the democrats have finally completely defeated the republicans! Now we shall rule the United States!" and cue to a mostly destroyed country.

I don't think it's going to change much at all. At best, it might get some people to stop using ERs for routine care. At worst, it ends up being an irrelevant expansion of federal health care compared to Medicare.

It should have been universal single-payer.Take it up with the constitution. The census is required to count free people, not citizens.

Indeed.

And this hereby ends my participation in a political thread....that I started....

I'm scared

This bill will also hurt the healthcare of the poor or uninsured currently.

How?

I'm against the bill because its a pile of garbage with no teeth. It doesn't do anything except force people to take up healthcare, and doesn't address the biggest problem of healthcare (increasing costs)... But I certainly don't see how this would reduce the quality of healthcare given to people who currently are uninsured.

Please expand on your thought.

It's over for the GOP. They will never see power again. With healthcare for all now law, the next bill to be voted on is the immigration reform bill (read: 20 million new citizens, most of whom will be scooped up by the new health care) all the Dems have to do is say that the GOP is going to take away healthcare. Whether it's true or not doesn't matter.

The GOP is dead.

It's over for the GOP. They will never see power again. With healthcare for all now law, the next bill to be voted on is the immigration reform bill (read: 20 million new citizens, most of whom will be scooped up by the new health care) all the Dems have to do is say that the GOP is going to take away healthcare. Whether it's true or not doesn't matter.

The GOP is dead.

I see the exact opposite happening.

First of all, there is no coverage for years.

Second of all. This isn't aimed at the middle class. The poor already vote for Dem strongly, no reason not to.

Third, we'll see a pretty strong shift in the house in November, causing every remaining democrat to shift into full "oh shit, what did I just vote for" mode. Depending on how many Senate seats the Reps have, a repeal will get into effect in Nov. 2010. If the Senate remains in favor of Dems, which it might no matter how bad the vote turns out, 2012 would be the date. Either way, it is still before coverage is extended.

If anything, Healthcare is the lightning rod Republicans needed to rally around.

Sigh take it from someone who already has some form of universal health care, It is good. Will you be taxed more to pay for it? sure but people not going bankrupt to pay for a surgery is a good thing.

How?

I'm against the bill because its a pile of garbage with no teeth. It doesn't do anything except force people to take up health care, and doesn't address the biggest problem of health care (increasing costs)... But I certainly don't see how this would reduce the quality of health care given to people who currently are uninsured.

Please expand on your thought.

Well the way I see it happening is only the mediocre to bad doctors will go with these new low cost plans that will pay almost nothing. If you are a good to great doctor I think you only accept cash or higher end plans that will pay you more. The hospitals are still and have always been open to people without medical insurance. If you are poor and cant afford health care you can apply for charity care from the hospitals most illegals do and you get free service at that hospital.

I agree that the health care industry is fucked but I do not think this bill helps fix the main large issues with health care. Hopefully I am wrong and this turns out for the best but I really do not think American politicians have it in them to create a good health care plan as they only look out for each other. I for one would like to buy into the health care congress gets for 200 a month it is the best plan imaginable but the greedy bastards will not let that happen.

@fixxar:

i don't know about in your area but everywhere I've ever lived, doctors are overworked. there just aren't enough of them, because there ALREADY wasn't enough economic incentive to convince people to go into general practice instead of emergency room physician or surgeon or cosmetics. so basically, your 'general practice' doctor already IS the 'mediocre to bad' doctor you're speaking of, prior to any recent developments.

I really don't see that there will be much of a difference. If you don't want insurance, pay the $695 per member of your household or maximum 2.5% fine. That's still cheaper than many health care plans out there (at least in my case that is). Also if you make shit for money, you're covered and you don't have to worry about fines.

In any case, here's an awesome NY Times opinion article that one of my friends brought forth:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/22/opinion/22krugman.html?hp

My favorite quotes:

"proposals to guarantee health insurance are often controversial before they go into effect — Ronald Reagan famously argued that Medicare would mean the end of American freedom — but always popular once enacted."

"Think about what it means to condemn health reform by comparing it to the Civil Rights Act. Who in modern America would say that L.B.J. did the wrong thing by pushing for racial equality? (Actually, we know who: the people at the Tea Party protest who hurled racial epithets at Democratic members of Congress on the eve of the vote.)"

"On the eve of the big vote, Republican members of Congress warned that “freedom dies a little bit today” and accused Democrats of “totalitarian tactics,” which I believe means the process known as “voting.”"

The poor already vote for Dem strongly, no reason not to.

Correct, but add 20 million more poor who can all of a sudden vote and will be receiving free health care which the evil Republicans will take away if they get elected and Whammo! you have a Democratic majority for... pretty much ever.

The problem isn't that health care is good for people. The problem is, why am I paying for your health care? I pay for mine and my families, and I work hard to do so. Take care of yourself, and get your lips of my teet.

The problem isn't that health care is good for people. The problem is, why am I paying for your health care? I pay for mine and my families, and I work hard to do so. Take care of yourself, and get your lips of my teet.

because you're driving on roads built by minimum wage labor?