Sign in to follow this  
Ulrith

2v2 basics

I know some of you already watch day9's vid's (and if you don't, he's awesome and you should), but I think this one was the best I've watched.

In it he talks almost exclusively about early rushes in 2v2 - why they're effective, how to deal with it and why it's "ok" for one guy to die. I thought it was awesome because I've certainly been on both ends of the spectrum...the guy getting curbstomped by a double rush and the guy left behind with a pretty sizable lead but too passive to use that advantage while I still have it.

I'll have to watch that later today. Ever since swapping back to toss from learning terran I have been failing HARD... just look at my 1v1 rank as proof.

not bad, this guy is a bad businessman though :( He can be getting a lot of extra money since he is a youtube partner (as evidence by the marth stewart video i had to watch prior to the video ><) by cutting the videos into 6 pieces and uploading each one individually.

not bad, this guy is a bad businessman though :( He can be getting a lot of extra money since he is a youtube partner (as evidence by the marth stewart video i had to watch prior to the video ><) by cutting the videos into 6 pieces and uploading each one individually.

I think he's more of a community guy when it comes to his dailies being posted on youtube. He makes a good amount as is off of everything else I'd bet.

i think he's guaranteed more views with a longer video since people are likely to close it and re-open it more than shorter videos... it's certainly not as cut and dried and maybe he's testing out how to get more views ^_^

Minus the random commercials every few minutes, fucking commercialization of the internet. I'm going to seriously quit gaming as soon as they weasel their way into video games themselves. I'm not working towards Nike shoes of agility or the Reebok perk, ever.

yeah hmm just got to my first 'intermission' ad ;[ they've been in video games for a while now bro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-game_advertising

i like the fact that someone like day9 can get paid to do what they love and not really have to sell out much tbh... way better than the media conglomerates of today

The current advertising in games is subtle and usually integrated to where you don't really notice it directly. I'm talking about direct references to brand this or brand that in a game in a way that it's directly noticeable and annoying. Advertising in games now is like the incidental advertising during a tv show, what I fear is when the advertising in games matches the advertisements that interrupt a tv show.

Day9 should be happy he gets paid for that, course good luck to him if he's ever required to get a real job. I don't see Starcraft 2 commentator and analyst on his resume getting him too far.

Well he was a pro SC:BW gamer before doing the commentary analyst thing. If they kept advertising subtle in SC2, like in the billboards on Metalopolis or something, I don't think I'd mind. As of right now only commentators advertise at the beginning of replays/tournaments. I don't think I ever heard a commentator in the middle of a battel scene go "And you can see he is able to handle that micro so well thanks to his new Razer mouse!"

the thing with youtube views is that it only counts when the person completly loads the video and watches a certain percentage of that video and they pay by the video regardless of length. Some people like HuskyStarcraft (another commentator), now makes a full time living just casting videos on youtube.

the thing with youtube views is that it only counts when the person completly loads the video and watches a certain percentage of that video and they pay by the video regardless of length. Some people like HuskyStarcraft (another commentator), now makes a full time living just casting videos on youtube.

And hes not very good at it, but he gets the hits... So back onto the 2v2 scene. I played a few today and lost a bit to silly stuff. I found that if one person applies early pressure, the other person can build/tech up a little for a few minutes. Once the first persons pressure is relieved, its time to swap roles. This worked one quite a few maps when my partner setup up a cannon line and I supported with zealots. He pushed in with the cannons off the bat and I built up about 5 lots to pull guy into the cannons and/or take out a few structures. Once my zealots were busy doing that, he teched up to VRs with a few cannons here and there to keep pressure up. His VRs came in and I was already set to mass stalkers. Game over.

The swapping of roles worked for the long run attack. While the cannons kept one ally from helping the other, enough early pressure was there to keep one guy down while we teched up. Not doing any harass is bad if they attack before you btw.

Which is why you have support. I know you can kill a pylon quick with probes, add a support zealot or two from your teammate and the cannons have enough time to be effective. Maybe there is a better counter higher up, but I haven't seen anything like that yet.